Astartes vs Martial Arts - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 82 (permalink) Old 03-13-11, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

Default Astartes vs Martial Arts

Enjoying the sunday? Then join me in this thread!

I always like to speculate about how tough a space marine is, so here goes...

I was wondering how much injury a modern day martial arts expert could inflict upon an unarmored astartes. Though I know little of fighting disciplines, I am aware of techniques within each respectable martial art, which have been described as downright lethal to use against an opponent. Punches to the temple, choking grips and break-neck kicks etc.

We all know that the rank-and-file battle brother is more than apable of handing any normal man his ass to him on a platter, but what if the naked marine just said 'Go ahead. Take a swing!' ?

Do you think a peak-fitness, martial artists' skill would be enough, physcally harm a space marine?

Last edited by Engindeer; 03-13-11 at 05:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 82 (permalink) Old 03-13-11, 05:49 PM
Grand Lord Munchkin

gen.ahab's Flag is: USA

Astartes are 700 pound super soldiers with skeletal systems strong enough to withstand forces that was shatter a normal mans, strength to rip a mans head from his body and faster than any human being could ever hope to be. It would be no contest; the marine would devastate the human with little effort.

The Website kept telling me that my profile was only 80% complete without creating a signature. Ain't no website going to tell me I was a lazy shit, no sir.
post #3 of 82 (permalink) Old 03-13-11, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

Thank you gen.ahab for your quick reply, though you leave me wondering, whether you read my whole post?

I repeat: The Space Marine is passive and can't fend for himself

I like to think that the preternatal senses of a battle brother, makes him uncousciously flex the right muscles just before any impact to cushion the force, or just ride with the force to disperse the energy.

Last edited by Engindeer; 03-13-11 at 05:56 PM.

post #4 of 82 (permalink) Old 03-13-11, 05:58 PM

Androxine Vortex's Flag is: USA

I think the best that a human could do would be to annoy a space marine. No of course if he went for the eyes he could do damage but with just punching and kicking, I dont see him doing much harm at all.

+MAY THE DARK GODS BLESS YOU WITH MANY TENTACLES+
post #5 of 82 (permalink) Old 03-13-11, 06:03 PM
hailene's Flag is: USA

Yeah. The question was whether a human could inflict harm on a Space Marine.

I'd like to think yes. At least on soft targets. Eyes. Testes if they still have them (they don't really need them. And any loss in hormones could be picked up with suitable replacements fed straight from their armor).

How passive are we talking about, though? If a person is trying to snap his fingers backwards can the Space Marine resist by moving his finger the other way?

If not, I'd imagine you could break fingers if they used their body weight and physical strength.

Trying to break bones with punches and kicks seem unlikely. Even hitting areas without bone (the lower back) probably wouldn't avail to much. I'd imagine the thick slabs of muscles along the torso would absorb the blow. Though I'd imagine you could probably bruise a marine. I believe I recall marines being bruised for fairly substantial amounts of time (days, at least). Though those usually involve violent trauma that would probably kill a normal person several times over. A bruise from a person striking a marine would probably heal in a matter of minutes, I'd think.
post #6 of 82 (permalink) Old 03-13-11, 06:09 PM
Powered by Squig Tea

Viscount Vash's Flag is: England

Passive Sm, ok....

Extended index and next finger directed through eye socket into brain.

Job done.
post #7 of 82 (permalink) Old 03-13-11, 06:11 PM
Grand Lord Munchkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engindeer View Post
Thank you gen.ahab for your quick reply, though you leave me wondering, whether you read my whole post?

I repeat: The Space Marine is passive and can't fend for himself

I like to think that the preternatal senses of a battle brother, makes him uncousciously flex the right muscles just before any impact to cushion the force, or just ride with the force to disperse the energy.
No, I did. However, I don't believe they would do such a thing. Given reaction time, the marine would have ample time to determine where the impact would be and if by some miracle the human found a weak point, the marine would react and plaster him long before he could ever actually land the blow.

However, I do not believe such a location exists on a marine as opposed to a human being... apart from the eyes, of course, but then the plastered against wall clause applies.

EDIT: However, if the marine just stood and took it without moving at all I suppose at some point the human could do some damage.

The Website kept telling me that my profile was only 80% complete without creating a signature. Ain't no website going to tell me I was a lazy shit, no sir.

Last edited by gen.ahab; 03-13-11 at 06:29 PM.
post #8 of 82 (permalink) Old 03-13-11, 06:11 PM

Androxine Vortex's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by hailene View Post
Yeah. The question was whether a human could inflict harm on a Space Marine.

I'd like to think yes. At least on soft targets. Eyes. Testes if they still have them (they don't really need them. And any loss in hormones could be picked up with suitable replacements fed straight from their armor).

How passive are we talking about, though? If a person is trying to snap his fingers backwards can the Space Marine resist by moving his finger the other way?

If not, I'd imagine you could break fingers if they used their body weight and physical strength.

Trying to break bones with punches and kicks seem unlikely. Even hitting areas without bone (the lower back) probably wouldn't avail to much. I'd imagine the thick slabs of muscles along the torso would absorb the blow. Though I'd imagine you could probably bruise a marine. I believe I recall marines being bruised for fairly substantial amounts of time (days, at least). Though those usually involve violent trauma that would probably kill a normal person several times over. A bruise from a person striking a marine would probably heal in a matter of minutes, I'd think.
the only way to inflict serious damage would be to to give him an indian burn with a power fist. oh wait he cant have thta. I guess they are invincible then lol

+MAY THE DARK GODS BLESS YOU WITH MANY TENTACLES+
post #9 of 82 (permalink) Old 03-13-11, 06:41 PM
hailene's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen.ahab View Post

EDIT: However, if the marine just stood and took it without moving at all I suppose at some point the human could do some damage.
That is exactly what the OP asked. If a Space Marine did nothing to defend himself, could a human hurt him. And if so, how much and by what means.
post #10 of 82 (permalink) Old 03-13-11, 06:56 PM
Grand Lord Munchkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hailene View Post
That is exactly what the OP asked. If a Space Marine did nothing to defend himself, could a human hurt him. And if so, how much and by what means.
No shit? I got that. I just don't think it would happen.... I said as much in the same post.

BTW, damage equates to maybe being able to take out his eyes. He can't break any major bones, he isn't going to be able to do enough soft tissue damage, and unless he has a fucking sword he can't bleed him. Most he can do is poke out his eyes or something of that nature since I am sure there is some weird ass way his temples are now super duper and can't be damaged.

Last edited by gen.ahab; 03-13-11 at 07:18 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode