Origins of 40k SM names - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-13-11, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Angelus Censura's Flag is: USA

Origins of 40k SM names

After playing a few games with my Blood Angels army, I have realized that my army list is complete shite. So in redoing the list and ripping apart my half painted army to re-equip Marines with new gear, etc. I have decided to create a new BA successor chapter altogether, full of homebrewn individual characters a Chapter Master and so forth.

Anyways, long story short - is there any real reasoning or history behind the naming of special characters within the SM Chapters? I've heard criticisms in response to people, in creating their own chapter, naming special characters with names of completely different origins than those known to that chapter. I wanted to research some names for my chapter, but didn't want to make all the names say, Roman in origin, where the BA names may be old English names.

This may seem goofy, but I get nit picky when it comes to creating a chapter, and I want it to flow correctly and fit in realistically with set fluff.

Thanks in advance
Cheers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-13-11, 11:26 AM
Unhinged Hobo

GrimzagGorwazza's Flag is: England

There are a lot of historical references in the 40k universe but depending on when the characters were first penned depends on exactly how well they mesh together. Lets take the blood angels for example.
The early special characters were Dante, Mephiston and Tycho.

Mephiston is derivative of Mephisto and is one of the deamons of the underworld, sometimes it's used as a psudonym for the devil himself.

Dante is a character in the divine comedy that visited and chronicalled his journey though the layers of hell so we seem to have a correlation.

Tycho i can only seem to find a single historical reference for though. Tycho Brahe was the man who most accurately measured the distance to the planets in the solar system. He wasn't hated by the church or in any way considered demonic (as far as i can tell, correct me if i'm wrong).

Tycho is the obvious weak link here as he doesn't seem to be named after a biblical or religious referance. However his first name is Erasmus which could be in referance to a scholar who rewrote the New testemant and was influential in the forming of the Lutherians.

Other characters:
Corbulo:A Roman general
Astorath: Ashtoreth is a female demonic entity in the hebrew bible, it became masculine after being adopted by christianity.
Lemartes: i cannot find any referance to lemartes though somone might know where this stems from.

So there is an overrulling theme of religion and more losely demonolgy running through the Blood angels from the earliest days of the hobby. These references seem to stem from a variety of sources and backgrounds however so it seems that just having a theme is enough to use as a reference for naming space marine chapter characters.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-13-11, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Alright sweet, then I will just find some names that are related in origin and give them to my Chapter. Possibly horror flicks or Vampire names, as it would suit the BA background. Though I like the idea of using Daemon references.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-13-11, 12:05 PM
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelus Censura View Post
Possibly horror flicks or Vampire names.
I swear that if you name anyone in you army Edward Cullen, I will hunt you fucking down.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-13-11, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel of Blood View Post
I swear that if you name anyone in you army Edward Cullen, I will hunt you fucking down.

Remember, it could be worse i.e. Great Wolf Jacob.

The human appendix. Proof of a higher power. A divine kill switch so to speak.

No one really likes a smartass, but people tend to like a dumbass even less.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-13-11, 03:06 PM

Akatsuki13's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chompy Bits View Post

Remember, it could be worse i.e. Great Wolf Jacob.
If I ever encounter such individuals, my Broadsides will pound them into paste with their guns and my Kroot will munch down whatever is left. Then those Kroot that feasted on them will be incinerated lest they taint the future generations.

'There's a fine line between not listening and not caring. I like to think that I walk that line every day of my life.'
Akatsuki13's Daemon Den
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-13-11, 04:19 PM

Brother Emund's Flag is: United Kingdom

I use old Germanic names for my characters.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ies_and_heroes

Just a thought?

"Death occurs when a lethal projectile comes together in time and space with a suitable target, in the absence of appropriate armour or protection”

Check out my 40K 'Epic' about the Hunted verses the Inquisition: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...98#post2184698

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-13-11, 04:19 PM

Davidicus 40k's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akatsuki13 View Post
If I ever encounter such individuals, my Broadsides will pound them into paste with their guns and my Kroot will munch down whatever is left. Then those Kroot that feasted on them will be incinerated lest they taint the future generations.
Respect Level for Tau +100.

"Consequence of Mercy" - Written for KingOfCheese
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-13-11, 04:44 PM

BlackGuard's Flag is: USA

Quote:
I will do far more to him than that brother. You will know fear and pain in measures not even the Dark Gods themselves can fathom. Heaven will not have enough angels to stop me and Hell not enough chains to stop me.

Twilight must never become involved in Warhammer 40,000. Consider this an offical decree, kept secret, by the God-Emperor of Mankind! He forsaw the horrors of Twilight, and while he can tolerate Chaos -- he will not tolerate borderline homosexual vampires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman78 View Post
The chaos gods abandoned Horus most likely because they saw the can of whoop ass coming their way and wanted out of the way so as not to get fucked up!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-13-11, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Shit, well there goes my Chapter Master idea....

I was thinking more along the lines of maybe Army of Darkness greatest 'horror' movie of all time. "Shop smart, shop S-Mart" would be my chapter's Battle Cry

Brother Emund - I was thinking Germanic names would be badass. Norse would have been my first choice, but I think Space Wolves have dibs on those.

Last edited by Angelus Censura; 03-13-11 at 06:59 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode