Chapter Founding - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-11, 02:34 AM Thread Starter

Commissar Schultz's Flag is: USA

Default Chapter Founding

Are there any stories/articles regarding how a chapter is founded?
Do the High Lords of terra have to approve such a thing?

How do they decide who is to be Chapter Master?

Who creates the new chapter name?

Would the new chapter develope it's own fighting style or be based off the fighting style of parent chapter? (That last question I can see being up to the person making the chapter. Figured it would be a good question we can talk about.)

Do the Techno folk of Mars provide the armor/weapons/vehicles/ships or does the parent chapter provide such things?

Are vetren troops provided to new chapter from parent chapter?

These are just a few questions I've wondered but have only my imagination to fall back on. Be nice to find some already made fluff about how new chapters are founded.

-Thanks in Advance.

Wonder what this does
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-11, 04:40 AM
Boc
Like a Bawss

Boc's Flag is: USA

Here's the listing from the Lexicanum (which is by no means canon, but it's the best I can do!)

Quote:
The creation of a new Chapter is known as a Founding, and it does not happen overnight. Each Chapter is created from the gene-seed of an existing donor Chapter. The zygote is implanted in a human test-slave who spends his entire life in a static experimental capsule, immobile and serving nothing but as a medium which from two progenoids will develop. When the progenoids are developed, they are extracted from original test-slave and then implanted into another two test-slaves, producing four progenoids, and so on. It takes 55 years of reproduction to create a healthy set of 1,000 organs. These must be sanctioned officially by the Master of the Adeptus Mechanicus and then by the High Lords of Terra, speaking for the Emperor, who alone can give permission for the creation of a new Chapter.

Heresy-Online's Expeditious Stories Challenge 13-06: "Serenity" has started, get your stories in by July 11th!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanner94ezekiel View Post
3. Nothing Boc said should ever be taken seriously. Unless he's talking about being behind you. Then you run like fuck.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-11, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

Commissar Schultz's Flag is: USA

Interesting.

Thanks.

Wonder what this does

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-11, 12:12 AM

C'Tan Chimera's Flag is: USA

Well that's...Creepy, to say the least. I think I preferred my belief of "A bunch of guys get together, decide they're bad enough dudes to save the Emperor and form a Chapter".
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-11, 01:45 AM
Apathetic Megalomaniac

Geist's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by C'Tan Chimera View Post
Well that's...Creepy, to say the least. I think I preferred my belief of "A bunch of guys get together, decide they're bad enough dudes to save the Emperor and form a Chapter".
Your talking about Warhammer 40k....the universe of robot/human zombie servants, a galaxy-wide human empire who worships a rotting corpse, a locust-like threat from beyond the galaxy who wants nothing more than to eat the universe, zombie-robots who want to sacrifice your soul to their gods, the 4 Chaos Gods who want the universe to suffer because negative emotions taste like candy, and....you get my point.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-13-11, 06:26 PM

Androxine Vortex's Flag is: USA

A parent Chapter will go out recruiting and basically they will have their new recruits. Obviously they could recruit from many different worlds or just a few, or just one.

As for the fighting styles, it just depends. The parent chapter could have them use the same tactics or the new chapter could use different ones.

For teh Chapter Master, it would probably be a leader from the parent CHapter and maybe a hundred veteran marines. They would fight alongside the new recruits to provide experince and morale.

+MAY THE DARK GODS BLESS YOU WITH MANY TENTACLES+
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-14-11, 12:49 AM

Quozzo's Flag is: United Kingdom

The High Lords of Terra declare one of the 26 foundings and inform the AdMech that uses one of the tithes of Gene-seed that all Chapters send back, so the AdMech can check for corruption etc. The Founding Chapter from which the gene-seed is derived, then sends a cadre of elite Space Marines that train the new neophytes the ways of the parent chapter, the elite Marines are then incorporated into the new Chapter to become its Chapter Master and high ranking Marines. The AdMech also supplies the new Chapter with new gear, ships, tanks, armour, weapons etc. Then they go off and find a nice planet to settle down on, or not, depending.

Chapter Library | Chapter Name Creator

Phoenix Angels

Your unique, just like everyone else.

Last edited by Quozzo; 03-14-11 at 12:52 AM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-14-11, 12:55 AM

Androxine Vortex's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quozzo View Post
The High Lords of Terra declare one of the 26 foundings and inform the AdMech that uses one of the tithes of Gene-seed that all Chapters send back, so the AdMech can check for corruption etc. The Founding Chapter from which the gene-seed is derived, then sends a cadre of elite Space Marines that train the new neophytes the ways of the parent chapter, the elite Marines are then incorporated into the new Chapter to become its Chapter Master and high ranking Marines. The AdMech also supplies the new Chapter with new gear, ships, tanks, armour, weapons etc. Then they go off and find a nice planet to settle down on, or not, depending.
How many parent marines join the new chapter would you say? I've heard from different sources that its about a 100.

But what is unclear to me is how many new recruits do they need to make a chapter go out and actually fight? In other words, when can the new chapter be fit for battle? i doubt that they would wait until they had their number capacity maxed out.

+MAY THE DARK GODS BLESS YOU WITH MANY TENTACLES+

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode