The imperial heralds? - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-02-11, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Unhinged Hobo

GrimzagGorwazza's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Spikey View Post
Well we know the World Eaters and Dark Angels only changed their names not their colours so I presume most of the other Legions were the same.
That was my presumption but reading the article it clearly says that the grey colours were the uniform of the Imperial Heralds. Obviously it's a wiki so can't be taken as gospel which is why i wanted some clarification on wether they had actually changed colour when they met their primarch or wether they changed colour after the heresy.

I know for example that the world eaters were white pre heresy and changed it to rep their new devotion but i don't remember having read that this was the case with Lorgars lads.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-02-11, 05:08 PM

Baron Spikey's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimzagGorwazza View Post
That was my presumption but reading the article it clearly says that the grey colours were the uniform of the Imperial Heralds. Obviously it's a wiki so can't be taken as gospel which is why i wanted some clarification on wether they had actually changed colour when they met their primarch or wether they changed colour after the heresy.

I know for example that the world eaters were white pre heresy and changed it to rep their new devotion but i don't remember having read that this was the case with Lorgars lads.
Yeah they were Grey as Imperial Heralds and retained that livery when they became the Word Bearers (though as with the Dark Angels alterations were made in the form of religious etchings and knightly trappings respectively).
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-02-11, 06:05 PM
Deathwing Commissar

Phoebus's Flag is: USA

The Dark Angels showed indications that they were changing their color scheme prior to the Heresy. The original "First Legion" colors were predominately black (with trim color varying from white to red depending on the fluff source). By the time the Heresy began, though, the cultural influence of the Calibanite knighthoods was being felt--the Ravenwing Chapter, for instance, introduced a green shoulder pad with its ancient order's livery painted on it.

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-02-11, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimzagGorwazza View Post
That's more or less the origional question i asked
The reason I asked was because I thought (and have since confirmed) that you were confuisng the primarch-era name change and the heresy-era scheme change.

The Imperial Heralds and Word Bearers both wore grey armour. The crimson we currently see first appears on the Gal Vorbak (spelling?) in First Heretic to mark their new devotion. It was latter abopted legion wide (though I don't know the specifics on when).

The two changes occured independently and for different reasons. Also does anyone else think it's slightly anal to change Imperial Heralds to Word Bearers? At least until the start bearing a word other than the Imperium.

"Look into my eyes, and see your death."
"Let them hate, so long as they fear."
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-02-11, 09:04 PM

Baron Spikey's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEQinc View Post
The two changes occured independently and for different reasons. Also does anyone else think it's slightly anal to change Imperial Heralds to Word Bearers? At least until the start bearing a word other than the Imperium.
Maybe the name Word Bearers has some special intonation in Colchisian? A subtlety that is lost when it's translated into standard Gothic?
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-27-16, 01:01 AM

The Imperial Heralds were the only Legion to be named by the Emperor during the Unification Wars. The colour was slate grey granite for all the Legions at the time, the Heralds just never changed that scheme even after the discovery of the Primarch. They were created to spread secularism and to cast down religion and all it's idols. Their 'Heralds' would give civilisations or sects an opportunity to renounce or die. Those Heralds would later become Chaplains as they progressively became religious. Lorgar did not change his Legion right away. He left the Heralds to remain secular and would only convert those who were at first willing to listen. Then, as attrition took it's toll, only Colchis born Heralds would be inducted into the faith from the get go. When every last secular Heralds died through war, Lorgar sealed the symbolic transformation by renaming the Legion the 'Word Bearers' who now bore the Emperor's Word.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-27-16, 06:40 AM

ExaltedUrizen's Flag is: Australia

Yeah they only changed to red after Lorgar had been corrupted. And I guess the colour change was to try and disassociate their legion with the emperor, as he had lied to them and openly humiliated them.

"That which we foolishly call truth is only a small island in a vast sea of the unknown. For man to truly flourish, he must be willing to abandon the ever-shrinking island of such petty 'truth' and surrender himself to the reality of that which is beyond."

Dark Apostle Erebus, architect of the Horus Heresy
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-27-16, 09:22 AM

Kharn The Complainer's Flag is: Former Soviet Union

Here are some other pre-Primarch legion names.

The Raven Guard were known as the 'Blackbirds'. The Ultramarines were known as the 'Super Smurfs'. The Space Wolves were originally known as 'Jørgen Fløgstad's Magical Band of Merry Rogues'. My favourite pre-Primarch legion name was, of course, the Salamanders, who were simply known as 'Steve'.

It turns out that Chaos has their own band...
https://youtu.be/rTGzcdq0_NQ
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-02-16, 11:58 AM

Matcap's Flag is: Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Spikey View Post
Well we know the World Eaters and Dark Angels only changed their names not their colours so I presume most of the other Legions were the same.
We have several changes:
War Hounds to World Eaters:

Imperial Heralds to Word Bearers. Name change after they found their primarch, colour scheme after Dropsite massacre

Luna Wolves to Sons of Horus

Dusk Raiders to Death Guard (other way around in this picuture, left is Death Guard, right is Dusk Raiders)

Everything below didn't change colours but had different names before finding their primarch:

Dragon Warriors to Salamanders

Angels of Death to Dark Angels (according to Angels of Caliban book)

Storm Walkers to Iron Hands

Alpha Legion is noted as having 730+ different names before their official one

Iron Warriors unofficial cognomen: Corpse Grinders

Raven Guard unofficial cognomen: Pale Nomands/Dust Clad

Info above comes from the different FW Campaign books (Except the Salamanders and Dark Angels ones who come from Lexicanum and Angels of Caliban).

Edit: well seems the forum screwed a bit with the img sizes, or I derped. Sorry about that!

Last edited by Matcap; 08-02-16 at 03:53 PM.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-02-16, 08:23 PM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

Funny, but ADB was only asking about the Imperial Heralds on Facebook lately.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode