Fortress-Monestary question - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-11, 02:14 AM Thread Starter

GeneralSturnn's Flag is: USA

Default Fortress-Monestary question

Alright, not sure where this goes, but here's my question: what would a typical Fortress-Monastery look like? I had plans on creating one(or finding a suitable template and then modifying it from there)

thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-11, 02:24 AM

Initiate's Flag is: Iran

It can look like anything really. It could be underground, it could be a space ship, it could be a vast, low building or a tower, or any variation of those.

I know for a fact the Patriarchs of Flame have a ring of fire surrounding their fortress-monastery, while the Frost Angels have a labyrinth of tunnels below theirs. It depends on your chapter really, and on your personal preferences. Sooo... build whatever appeals to you artistically.

EDIT: and make sure you post pictures of it when it is finished.

"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others have labored hard for."
-Socrates
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-11, 02:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Initiate View Post
It can look like anything really. It could be underground, it could be a space ship, it could be a vast, low building or a tower, or any variation of those.

I know for a fact the Patriarchs of Flame have a ring of fire surrounding their fortress-monastery, while the Frost Angels have a labyrinth of tunnels below theirs. It depends on your chapter really, and on your personal preferences. Sooo... build whatever appeals to you artistically.

EDIT: and make sure you post pictures of it when it is finished.

I'll be sure to do that, so far my tasks are clear:

1: Name Legion/Chapter(done)
2: Make Chapter Banner(done)
3: Paint Marines(half way done)
4: Name Primarch(Not done)
5: Make Legion Banner(not done)
6: Name Homeworld(Not done)
7: Create Fortress-Monastery(not done)

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-11, 02:42 AM

Initiate's Flag is: Iran

Post up your chapter fluff if you have any, I am interested in reading it.

"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others have labored hard for."
-Socrates
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-11, 02:49 AM Thread Starter

None yet, that's another Task, I'm finishing everything one step at a time, also incase you didn't read my "Missing Primarchs" post I'm creating my own legion, now, that is purely unofficial, it basically assumes the missing Primarchs never went missing, but like I said, this is just a little thing I'm doing, officially, where my Chapter comes from, remains like the Blood Ravens, no clue where they come from.

Legion fluff will only be given if requested.

Last edited by GeneralSturnn; 02-22-11 at 03:02 AM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-11, 05:59 AM

The one thing Fortress Monasteries have in common is size; they are all bloody huge. I mean vast. They have to contain eveything the Chapter has, its fighting strength, its armouries, its forges, its landing bays, its civilian population (which could number hundreds of thousands, if not more), its training centres, its Apothecaria, its relics etc etc etc. A plan of one of these is a huge job. For example, my DIY Chapter lives under a mountain range in tunnels that go up and down thousands of feet, and that cut through most of the range, and I don't consider that to be outlandish.
It might be an idea to start a bit smaller, maybe with a place that is used as a temporary base, sort if like the BT use. At least that might be somewhat approachable as a smaller Chapter House wouldn't be expected to house so much.

GFP
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-11, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Fossil Penguin View Post
The one thing Fortress Monasteries have in common is size; they are all bloody huge. I mean vast. They have to contain eveything the Chapter has, its fighting strength, its armouries, its forges, its landing bays, its civilian population (which could number hundreds of thousands, if not more), its training centres, its Apothecaria, its relics etc etc etc. A plan of one of these is a huge job. For example, my DIY Chapter lives under a mountain range in tunnels that go up and down thousands of feet, and that cut through most of the range, and I don't consider that to be outlandish.
It might be an idea to start a bit smaller, maybe with a place that is used as a temporary base, sort if like the BT use. At least that might be somewhat approachable as a smaller Chapter House wouldn't be expected to house so much.

GFP

I've actually decided to NOT make a Fortress-Monastery(I'm taking over a small Castle as one, putting up banners on it) because I realized the size I'm going to make it would be huge, and it would be a pain to put up after scenario's and such.

When I get room, I'm make the Fortress-Monastery, so it may stay up.

Also, can the Fortress-Monastery's banner be different then the one carried by the Marines into Battle?

Last edited by GeneralSturnn; 02-23-11 at 03:25 PM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-11, 08:56 PM

cragnes417's Flag is: USA

the closet monestay picure is this from dark angels

or this (dont know about the last one)
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/co...=&aId=4800010a
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-11, 09:28 PM

A fortress monestary would be the size of a small house if to scale.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-11, 01:11 AM Thread Starter

Also, can the banner on the Monastery be different then the one being used by a Command Squad? thanks.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode