*SPOILERS* New fluff on the Grey Knights - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 159 (permalink) Old 02-19-11, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Matt Ward works in mysterious ways.

The awesome-sauce of the main character's are offset by a perputual, universal melancholy, as to make things a bit more grimdark.

In codex Blood Angels, Dante, the awesomest chapter master ever, is tired of fighting and has trouble seeing purpose in continuing his duty.

Kaldor Draigo is also melancholic, because he knows that it is an eternal fight he has to keep up, and that chaos will eventually conquer The Imperium. That is 'the truth' he has witnessed.

Inquisitor Lord Coteaz is tragic as well, because he knows that he can't extend his life forever and with no heir, he is forced to seek out means to prolong his life. Often those means are daemonic in nature, and he wonders how long he can resist the lure of chaos: It is implied that it may not be forever.

And last but not least, the mainstream mention that there has been discovered failures in The Golden Throne...

Alas it is all poor writing so shame on you Matt Ward!

Last edited by Engindeer; 02-19-11 at 03:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 159 (permalink) Old 02-19-11, 03:41 PM
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss119 View Post
Just to put this in perspective, it took 100 Grey Knight Termies to banish Angron and his daemonic host, and only one (Aurelian) survived
Aurelian died actually, only a handfull of nameless Knights survived though. Your point still stands though, load of shit
post #13 of 159 (permalink) Old 02-19-11, 03:45 PM
Bane of Empires

Child-of-the-Emperor's Flag is: United Kingdom

Sounds like utter horseshit.

EDIT: From our News and Rumours section:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCowCrazy
GK fluff. Yes I have a bit I can share. As for their Origins, well.. Let's just say that their geneseed is of a... Traitorous Fusion...? Hehehe. Suffice to say you're welcome to guess all of you, and if you get it, i'll confirm it. But this is just too good for me to outright say.. Heh.
-They seem to be the Guardians of a boatload of hidden Chaos stuff within Segmentum Solar and the Sol System. It almost seems like the Emperor is one of those guys you see on American Pickers but for Chaos junk, and he keeps it all on his front lawn. Poor Grey Knights have to keep it all locked up.
That is the kind of stuff which is interesting, invincible mortals wondering through the warp killing every single daemon in sight and trashing the realms of the chaos gods is just utter shit. Matt Ward needs to sort his head out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cegorach View Post
I do love how we don't even need CotE to comment anymore, chances are he has already said something intelligent before that can be re-applied to the current situation.
Heresy's Background FAQ. (Fluff Project)
CotE Reviews: Prospero Burns (HH Review), Age of Darkness (HH Review).

Last edited by Child-of-the-Emperor; 02-19-11 at 04:00 PM.

post #14 of 159 (permalink) Old 02-19-11, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engindeer View Post
Kaldor Draigo is also melancholic, because he knows that it is an eternal fight he has to keep up, and that chaos will eventually conquer The Imperium. That is 'the truth' he has witnessed.
I would like Driago better if he did't kill a daemon prince in his first combat action. Then carve his name into the heart of a Daemon Primarch later on. Then single-handedly hold off a daemonic horde for two days to cover the retreat of a Guard regiment. Kill a Daemon Prince with a broken sword. Kill one of Khorne's Greatest Bloodthirsters. (Bare-handed assumedly) then reforge said Bloodthirsters axe into a new sword using his own fire. Then set fire to Nurgle's garden. And then kill Slaanesh's six chosen Daemonettes. And then smash the city walls of the Inevitable city singlehandedly and pwn yet another greater daemon. And then travel for centuries in the warp slaying countless daemons.
post #15 of 159 (permalink) Old 02-19-11, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gree View Post
I would like Driago better if he did't kill a daemon prince in his first combat action. Then carve his name into the heart of a Daemon Primarch later on. Then single-handedly hold off a daemonic horde for two days to cover the retreat of a Guard regiment. Kill a Daemon Prince with a broken sword. Kill one of Khorne's Greatest Bloodthirsters. (Bare-handed assumedly) then reforge said Bloodthirsters axe into a new sword using his own fire. Then set fire to Nurgle's garden. And then kill Slaanesh's six chosen Daemonettes. And then smash the city walls of the Inevitable city singlehandedly and pwn yet another greater daemon. And then travel for centuries in the warp slaying countless daemons.

At least he is a SUPREME GRAND MASTER, which probably makes him one of, if not the most capable warrior in The Imperium. Ward doesn't consider that in his rabid fanboyistic writing for the special characters, makes the Primarchs seem like wimps, and every other mook is just along for the ride i.e. their deaths.

Ward was probably brought up with superhero comic books as a child, moreso than Dungeons & Dragons like the other guys at GW.

To sum up: 40k fluff shouldn't be THAT character-centric

Last edited by Engindeer; 02-19-11 at 04:17 PM.
post #16 of 159 (permalink) Old 02-19-11, 04:17 PM

increaso's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gree View Post
You're too picky :p

I heard that Driago also INSISTS on paying for the meal.

But in all seriousness it's hard to accept that a space marine (even a super duper Grey Knight) can carry out feats equal to or greater than those of the Primarchs.
post #17 of 159 (permalink) Old 02-19-11, 04:24 PM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

This sounds shit.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will
post #18 of 159 (permalink) Old 02-19-11, 04:27 PM

godzy's Flag is: Israel

there are a few mentions (this guy, the terminator upgraded character) that give me the "sensai" feeling. one was waiting for them, (dalai lama style) unafraid in the black ships. returning from the dead time and time again.

post #19 of 159 (permalink) Old 02-19-11, 05:02 PM
ChaosRedCorsairLord's Flag is: Australia

This fluff sounds like a pile of poo-poo pancakes. Doesn't GW get a bunch of veteran 40k players to read through draft codices, to weed out obvious fanboyism and other problems?

When I was a young boy, I dreamed of being a baseball...
post #20 of 159 (permalink) Old 02-19-11, 05:26 PM

Ward wrote this? What, is he playing Grey Knights now?

Really, this is truly some of the most ridiculous fluff I've encountered in quite some time.

The human appendix. Proof of a higher power. A divine kill switch so to speak.

No one really likes a smartass, but people tend to like a dumbass even less.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode