*SPOILERS* New fluff on the Grey Knights - Page 13 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #121 of 159 (permalink) Old 02-28-11, 08:46 PM
Bruva I am hit!

Protoss119's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrabrake View Post
Can you just not read and enjoy, A man is in the warp and is not dead so, the warp has no rules the warp is beyond the comprehension of man, you expect something to die in the warp, but the very nature of the warp is that you can not expect, so don't.
I certainly wouldn't expect the Warp to fuck itself over, if you'll pardon my language, for the sake of a single human being. It's been ten thousand years since teh Emprah was placed on the Golden Throne; why haven't there been more examples like Draigo who go around killing everything in the Warp? And if there are, then that leads me to my original question: how hasn't the Warp been conquered by these mighty examples of humanity?

Both extremes are bad; one extreme is improbable given previous situations in which mortals perished in the warp, and the other extreme contradicts established fluff in which the Dark Gods are supreme in the Warp. The only way this could be made probable is if it is made accessible - something like "sometimes humans survive in the Warp, but it is an incredibly rare occurence." Ward has not done this.

A common phrase concerning the willing suspension of disbelief is that "You can ask an audience to believe the impossible, but not the improbable." We all know that the elements of the 40k setting are impossible outside of fiction, but even fiction has limits. We can hear about an organization of super-human beings hunting daemons in a dystopian future and take it in stride; that cannot be said about one who gets lost in the warp and is able to survive because he's so badass and kicks so much daemon hind-quarters that daemons are scared of him and his manly manliness. Such is highly improbable even in a setting with so many impossible elements because we expect him to fail (even for a man of Draigo's caliber) yet he succeeds for an unstated reason without changing the odds. If there was some stated reason, be it a "known known" or a "known unknown", then it would be more believable. That is to say, if the reason(s) for Draigo's survival was listed in detail or if it was stated to be unknown at the time, then his fluff would be much more believable. As a reader, I can't just sit back and take that Draigo can survive in the warp; I have to ask why.

tl;dr Some readers can't enjoy the fluff because they don't believe it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaticStrain View Post
That's just it. SOMETHING is going on. Humans can't survive unaided in the Warp. With Draigo, whatever is making him able to survive inside the Warp could be bending the ruled of 'Warp Reality', causing things to behave differently.

It wouldn't make sense for him to just be 'lucky' and survive. SOMETHING is making sure he survives AND behaves like a Demon, always being pulled back to the warp.
I guess we'll just have to wait until April to find out. I don't really have a rebuttal at the moment.

Homebrew stuff for your viewing pleasure:
The Stormhunters Fluff/Crunch - Updated 10/07/13
The Rust Legion Fluff - Updated 5/19/13
Firaeveus Carron Rules - Updated 12/9/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 159 (permalink) Old 02-28-11, 10:14 PM

Davidicus 40k's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss119 View Post
A common phrase concerning the willing suspension of disbelief is that "You can ask an audience to believe the impossible, but not the improbable." We all know that the elements of the 40k setting are impossible outside of fiction, but even fiction has limits. We can hear about an organization of super-human beings hunting daemons in a dystopian future and take it in stride; that cannot be said about one who gets lost in the warp and is able to survive because he's so badass and kicks so much daemon hind-quarters that daemons are scared of him and his manly manliness. Such is highly improbable even in a setting with so many impossible elements because we expect him to fail (even for a man of Draigo's caliber) yet he succeeds for an unstated reason without changing the odds. If there was some stated reason, be it a "known known" or a "known unknown", then it would be more believable. That is to say, if the reason(s) for Draigo's survival was listed in detail or if it was stated to be unknown at the time, then his fluff would be much more believable. As a reader, I can't just sit back and take that Draigo can survive in the warp; I have to ask why.
Beautifully said, sir. If you're going to create rules and guidelines, even in a fictional world where many impossible (in real life) things occur regularly, you need to abide by them or provide an explanation - a plausible one - as to why they don't apply in a particular instance.

In this case, the rule is humans can't survive in the Warp without going insane, being ripped apart by daemons, or any number of less than desirable fates. How Draigo can do it, well... someone has some 'splainin to do! There are already some theories in this thread, and the only issue seems to be that Ward does not use one of them. If he did, it'd still be a little hard to believe, but it wouldn't be so vehemently rejected.

"Consequence of Mercy" - Written for KingOfCheese
post #123 of 159 (permalink) Old 03-03-11, 02:04 PM

C'Tan Chimera's Flag is: USA

Skimming over the topic, wincing at the atrocities within. Matt Ward needs to stop creating...Well, Matt Ward characters.

post #124 of 159 (permalink) Old 03-07-11, 03:22 AM

I don't know if this was pointed out at any point in this rather long thread but this name almost makes me think it is a joke. Khal Drogo is the name of one of the characters in the Song of Ice and Fire series of novels by George R. Martin. He's a Mongol esque barbarian that leads a large horde of horsemen and marries the last princess of the former ruling house.
post #125 of 159 (permalink) Old 03-10-11, 07:26 AM
That one lazy bugger

Galebread's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toqtamish View Post
I don't know if this was pointed out at any point in this rather long thread but this name almost makes me think it is a joke. Khal Drogo is the name of one of the characters in the Song of Ice and Fire series of novels by George R. Martin. He's a Mongol esque barbarian that leads a large horde of horsemen and marries the last princess of the former ruling house.
I did speculate the character as being a practical joke (and I really hoped it was), but then it's Matt Wards, so that's already unlikely in the first place. And now GW gave us a price-tag, so yeah, seems like it's settled we'll be dealing with him in the future.

Will he turn out to be another God Mode Sue though, or just somewhat overpowered? Well, we can only hope that some extensive polishing will be happening from now till April.
post #126 of 159 (permalink) Old 03-10-11, 08:39 AM
Banned
Azkaellon's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galebread View Post
I did speculate the character as being a practical joke (and I really hoped it was), but then it's Matt Wards, so that's already unlikely in the first place. And now GW gave us a price-tag, so yeah, seems like it's settled we'll be dealing with him in the future.

Will he turn out to be another God Mode Sue though, or just somewhat overpowered? Well, we can only hope that some extensive polishing will be happening from now till April.
If this is true mephiston will be in the corner crying when compared to this guy.....
post #127 of 159 (permalink) Old 03-10-11, 09:00 AM

LukeValantine's Flag is: Canada

As long as he has a Achilles heel like mephiston I won't overly mind him in game, yet I doubt someone so hyped up in the new delusional version of 40k fluff will have something like a lack of inv save.....matter of fact he will probably have a inv save instead of a armor save making him only vulnerable to things that allow no save, or dare I say it other gray knights.

Medusa: "I'm a witch, its my job to blaspheme against Gods."

Two Slaanesh daemons on the first go...hmm I guess the fates have spoken emperors children here I come
post #128 of 159 (permalink) Old 03-10-11, 10:11 AM
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/ca...d=prod1140064a

I literally can't stop cringing at Matt Wards description of him on that page, he(ward) sounds like a total tool.

Want your army to do this 'x' Draigo can make that happen! Want your opponents army to do this 'y' Draigo can make that happen!!! Want to see me orally pleasure Guilliman, Calgar and Draigo?? Draigo can make that happen!!!!!!
post #129 of 159 (permalink) Old 03-10-11, 11:41 AM

normtheunsavoury's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel of Blood View Post
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/ca...d=prod1140064a

I literally can't stop cringing at Matt Wards description of him on that page, he(ward) sounds like a total tool.

Want your army to do this 'x' Draigo can make that happen! Want your opponents army to do this 'y' Draigo can make that happen!!! Want to see me orally pleasure Guilliman, Calgar and Draigo?? Draigo can make that happen!!!!!!
I had managed to resist the urge to look at the GW site, then I clicked that link
What is Matt Ward thinking, if he's even thinking at all?
What a complete tool he really is, did no one else in the office take a look at what he was doing and think to take him to a quiet corner and have a chat?
12 year olds will look at this sort of stuff and instantly wet themselves but anyone with at least a tiny bit of common sense is going to laugh and call Matt a cock!

Quote:
Also, Ewoks eat people.
Never forget that.
Ewoks. Eat. People.
Galahad.

Black Serpent Sun

FILE 18
post #130 of 159 (permalink) Old 03-10-11, 12:43 PM
ChaosRedCorsairLord's Flag is: Australia

Draigo's model is one of the most heinous sins against my eyes imaginable. It's like someone started sculpting him and never fucking stopped. The shit pose doesn't help either.

When I was a young boy, I dreamed of being a baseball...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode