The Commissariat - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-10-11, 03:47 AM Thread Starter

BlackGuard's Flag is: USA

Default The Commissariat

A quick thread to pose a question I haven't been able to answer yet. Now I admit I have only glanced threw Lexicanum, so please don't smite me too hard if the answer is there.

Prior to the Horus Heresy, when the Emperor still walked amongst men, and there was an Imperial Army -- was there Commissars? I cannot bring up a specific Horus Heresy book that says anything about commissars.

Were they a creation following the Heresy when the Guard was officially founded?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman78 View Post
The chaos gods abandoned Horus most likely because they saw the can of whoop ass coming their way and wanted out of the way so as not to get fucked up!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-10-11, 03:54 AM

Baron Spikey's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackGuard View Post
A quick thread to pose a question I haven't been able to answer yet. Now I admit I have only glanced threw Lexicanum, so please don't smite me too hard if the answer is there.

Prior to the Horus Heresy, when the Emperor still walked amongst men, and there was an Imperial Army -- was there Commissars? I cannot bring up a specific Horus Heresy book that says anything about commissars.

Were they a creation following the Heresy when the Guard was officially founded?
Depending on the regiment they may have had their own equivalent to a political officer but the organisation we know as the Commissariat was created with the restructuring of the Imperium's armed forces after the Heresy. Centrally trained individuals, completely indoctrinated to serve the Imperium before all else and to ensure the loyalty of the Imperial Navy & Guard forces assigned to them.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-10-11, 01:29 PM

NiceGuyEddy's Flag is: Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Spikey View Post
Depending on the regiment they may have had their own equivalent to a political officer but the organisation we know as the Commissariat was created with the restructuring of the Imperium's armed forces after the Heresy. Centrally trained individuals, completely indoctrinated to serve the Imperium before all else and to ensure the loyalty of the Imperial Navy & Guard forces assigned to them.
This is true. The Geneo five-two Chiliad from Legion called them Genewhips.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-13-11, 03:13 PM

BrotherArcadius's Flag is: USA

No, they Commisarat was officially founded following the Heresey, specifically to deal with the spiritual needs of the Imperial rmy, which at the time, was having very poor morale due to the massive casualties suffered in fighting Astartes Legions. Alot of people forget, the Heresey didn't end when Horus died, it continues till this day, yet when the primarchs were still around, the fighting was intense. Especially with the loyalists being short handed (with the Salamanders, Raven Guard, and Iron Hands decimated at Istavan).
In order to hold off the traitors, the Guard was formed, and a new class of leader was needed to combat the loss of moral and corruption across the galaxy. The commisarat was created by the Lords of Terra as a buffer against the new horrors of Chaos being unleashed upon the fledgling guard.

"Cowards Die in Shame"
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-13-11, 04:11 PM

Karak The Unfaithful's Flag is: Great Britain

Quote:

Well before the Heresy there must have been an army that were just regular humans, most likely a unoffical Milita or something that fought with the Emperor on Terra and maybe they defended human planets that the space marines had captured during the great crusade, and Obviously there must have been a type of general to lead these men.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klomster View Post
Ok, doing good gentlemen.
(Except Karak, you are not really a gentleman, but more brutal.... a brutalman )

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode