Symmetry/Patterns - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-09-11, 12:59 AM Thread Starter

Baron Spikey's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Symmetry/Patterns

I wrote this some time ago in the Random Questions thread and I got to thinking once more...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Spikey View Post
I actually got to ruminating on the disappearance of the Primarchs and it occured to me that in a rather sad way Lorgar was correct in his belief that Guilliman was a sort of heir to the Emperor (even if it was unfortunate chance that led to such an appointment).

Both Horus and Roboute had something in common, for decades they were the only Primarchs. When Horus Lupercal was found by the Emperor he spent 30 years crusading alongside his father until the next Primarch was discovered, and after the restructuring of the Imperium (which from the various Index Astartes articles seems to have taken a great deal of time, ref. IA: Imperial Fists & Raven Guard) Roboute Guilliman was eventually left as the only surviving Primarch for- 30 years!

Both Primarchs were paragons of nobility and pragmatism, both were the espoused heirs apparent at one time or another, both were slain at the hands of their kin, and both have murky tales to do with a resurrection that is impossible (Horus being cloned, Guilliman healing within a bubble of frozen time)- the symmetry of it is morbid but in a way satisfying.
...Have any of you found, or theorised, about anything in the 40k background that in some way is mirrored, like with my example above? It doesn't necessarily have to be between 2 characters, it could be an event, a certain alignment of years etc.

I'm constantly fascinated by the concept of an underlying order so I thought I'd indulge myself and see if you can come up with anything
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-09-11, 06:02 AM

The TS and SW. Both have powerful psykers, both Primarchs being rather arrogant as to their potency.
Both are incredibly, firecely loyal to the Emperor.
Both have issues with mutation- Flesh Change and Wulfen, respectively.
I'm sure there are others.

GFP
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-09-11, 09:26 AM
Feed

The similarities between the necron and the tau. Both are (were) short lived races, advancing rapidly into an uncaring galaxy in the shadow of an older empire that would otherwise destroy them if given incentive.

Both have utter faith in their technology, and both have utter conviction in their purpose. To me, the tau are simply the necrons all over again. They just haven`t lusted for longevity... yet.

Nonsense is our Salvation

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode