So....the Emperor wakes up tomorrow and.... - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-08-11, 02:22 AM

normtheunsavoury's Flag is: England

I don't think the Big E waking up would really make much difference, in the long term at least. For a short time there would be a huge rise in Imperial morale but the Imperium would still be in the same crap position it was in before he went for a nap.
The Tyranids, Necrons and Tau are new threats that weren't around during the great crusade and the Empire is no longer in a position of control that it had in the wake of the fall of the Eldar.
The only real change he could make would be to take control away from the High Lords of Terra and the Inquisition, and I'm not sure they would go quietly.

Ultimately he would have to start the whole process again and hope that the forces of Chaos were not looking.
Pull back all the Space Marine chapters back to as close to Terra as was safe and start conquering worlds again, either with the old Imperial Truth or some new doctrine and dogma.

Quote:
Also, Ewoks eat people.
Never forget that.
Ewoks. Eat. People.
Galahad.

Black Serpent Sun

FILE 18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-08-11, 02:32 AM

The Fallen's Flag is: Israel

Quote:
Originally Posted by normtheunsavoury View Post
The only real change he could make would be to take control away from the High Lords of Terra and the Inquisition, and I'm not sure they would go quietly.
ahhh didn't think about that (while doing the simulation in my head). In the end the emperor would be able to regain control (obviously), but the events of this political struggle are very intriguing.

Taking 40k lore into consideration (as im not all to familiar with it), how long would this political unrest be and how powerful are the High Lords of Terra to oppose the emperor?

HOPE
We Can Believe In

Vote Jeff for mascot
post #23 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-08-11, 03:44 AM
Deathwing Commissar

Phoebus's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by normtheunsavoury View Post
The Tyranids, Necrons and Tau are new threats that weren't around during the great crusade and the Empire is no longer in a position of control that it had in the wake of the fall of the Eldar.
On the other hand, the Imperium prior to the Heresy enjoyed unparalleled direction and coordination under the Emperor. By contrast, the modern Imperium is torn to a million different directions, often unable to even process a challenge until it's too late.

Quote:
That really wouldn't be an issue. There are only a small number of High Lords of Terra, of whom one of the most influential (the Fabricator-General) already is "in" by dint of the "special relationship" Mars and Terra have long enjoyed. The Admiralty and the Lord Commander Militant of the Imperial Guard haven't ever tried to seize power for themselves, so I don't see them trying to usurp the Emperor--whom they already worship. Of the Inquisitors, only the Radicals would be a cause for concern--in fact, many Inquisitors also subscribe to the Imperial Cult.

The main thing the Emperor would achieve for the Imperium is to provide a strong focus of direction again. Able to act and speak for himself, he would be able to rid the Imperium of amazing amounts of red tape. With his influence, he could very well raise the resources to launch a new series of Crusades, allowing the established forces to maintain a defensive stance as needed while he (or his agents) proactively addressed burgeoning threats.

post #24 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-08-11, 05:09 AM

normtheunsavoury's Flag is: England

Looking at it that way I suppose a lot would depend on the manner of his waking up.
If he just happens to roll over, fart, have a scratch and ask for a cup of coffee then the transition could be a little easier.
If, on the other hand, it's the whole rebirth scenario then I can see problems.
It would be a nightmare just proving he is the Emperor, dealing with the masses screaming "Heretic!" and "He turned me into a newt!" would be even tougher to deal with.

As for the High Lords and the rest of Terra's hierarchy, they would follow the Emperor unless they have ulterior motives, how many of them really have the interests of the Imperium at heart and how many are in it for the power the position brings?

Some would side with the Emperor, of course they would, but there would be plenty who wouldn't and with the current state of affairs the last thing the Imperium or the Emperor would want would be another civil war.
If the Emperor woke up I think he would have to start the process all over again, including working in the background until humanity was ready again.

Quote:
Also, Ewoks eat people.
Never forget that.
Ewoks. Eat. People.
Galahad.

Black Serpent Sun

FILE 18
post #25 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-08-11, 09:16 AM

He CAN'T wake up... he's a corpse, a psychic imprint encased in a dead husk.

That, and he serves as a sewer plug so the rats can't come in (Daemons)

post #26 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-08-11, 12:45 PM

TheSpore's Flag is: USA

If he woke up he would prolly think to hime self "well that was a nice nap. Its time for a sandwich and some cinnimon toast crunch. Oh yeah i need some starbucks."

Really he wouldn't wake he would die before being reborn or he would just die go to the warp and show the big 4 who the real bad ass is and win the great game andkick some daemon ass in the process.

Or he would be killed on sight for being mistaken for a zombie since well he does look like a rotting corpse

Read what fluff exsists on the star chikd i think this has something to do with the big E

Last edited by TheSpore; 02-08-11 at 12:48 PM.
post #27 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-08-11, 03:17 PM

broran's Flag is: Canada

he'd get up and promptly turn to dust from unpluging from the golden throne

please help my hive fleet grow
post #28 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-08-11, 03:41 PM

High_Seraph's Flag is: USA

No on can really say what would happen if the Emperor came back. However it would be total badassery on whoever opposed him this time as he burnt his compassion away to obliterate Horus' soul.

"Loyalty is its own reward."
Lion El'Jonson.
post #29 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-08-11, 04:04 PM

If he woke up, The imperium would get such a boost of morale! The emperor would lead them into battle and defeat the Chaos FIlth.
post #30 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-08-11, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Diatribe1974's Flag is: USA

After doing some reading, the standard "if he woke up" probably wouldn't work these days. But how could GW work such an "The Emperor of Mankind comes back!" styled returned that'd fit into canon/lore? I read a few such theories on the wikia, but what does folks think of such things and are there other (more plausable) methods someone such as the Emperor (who's been around for tens of thousands of years before he "died") could've foreseen and planned?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode