Lord Commander Millitant - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-11, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Harland's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Lord Commander Millitant

I was looking at the Imperial Guard Hierarchy here, and I saw that the highest possible rank is the Lord Commander Millitant. So who is it? And what about the other High Lords of Terra? Are any of them named?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-11, 02:36 PM
Deathwing Commissar

Phoebus's Flag is: USA

I don't think they are.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-11, 02:40 PM

Quozzo's Flag is: United Kingdom

according to Lex here there are 4 named (including Roboute Guilliman)

Chapter Library | Chapter Name Creator

Phoenix Angels

Your unique, just like everyone else.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-11, 03:11 PM

Akatsuki13's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quozzo View Post
according to Lex here there are 4 named (including Roboute Guilliman)
Actually, I believe all of those are former High Lords. Certainly, Guilliman and Vandire are as they are long dead. And also their missing Vandire's successor, Sebastian Thor.

I kind of think that this is another case of GW's 'come up with your own' policy. Or that they've just never felt a need to create the current High Lords. Let's face it, the High Lords don't really play a significant role in the various 40k games and stories. Either way, it seems to be a case of make your own if you need the High Lords in a game or whatever.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-11, 03:25 PM

Baron Spikey's Flag is: United Kingdom

We don't have any names I can think of just the ranks.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-11, 04:27 PM

I think it's Macaroth, who's presently Lord Solar / Lord Commander Millitant / Warmaster.

Aren't they all the same rank?

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-11, 04:41 PM
Deathwing Commissar

Phoebus's Flag is: USA

Nope. Case in point, Solar Macharius was a Warmaster, but not the Lord Commander Militant. A Warmaster, in the modern sense of the word, is the military commander of a Crusade, and of such high rank and station that he is second only to the Lord Commander Militant himself.

A good way to think of it is this*:
- The Lord Commander Militant is for the Imperium in its entirety
- The Warmaster is for a Crusade (and thus a fixed task and time period), which might draw upon the resources of many a sector
- The Lord General Militant is for a specific Sector

* At least I think it is; perhaps Baron or another master of the fluff might correct me if it's not?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-11, 04:53 PM

Baron Spikey's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebus View Post
Nope. Case in point, Solar Macharius was a Warmaster, but not the Lord Commander Militant. A Warmaster, in the modern sense of the word, is the military commander of a Crusade, and of such high rank and station that he is second only to the Lord Commander Militant himself.

A good way to think of it is this*:
- The Lord Commander Militant is for the Imperium in its entirety
- The Warmaster is for a Crusade (and thus a fixed task and time period), which might draw upon the resources of many a sector
- The Lord General Militant is for a specific Sector

* At least I think it is; perhaps Baron or another master of the fluff might correct me if it's not?
You are correct sir.

The Lord Commander Militant is the very pinnacle of the Munitorum ranks, a permanent seat on the Council of High Lords no less, whereas a Warmaster/Lord Solar has almost limitless power but only within the purview of the Crusade he commands.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-11, 04:55 PM

Akatsuki13's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engindeer View Post
I think it's Macaroth, who's presently Lord Solar / Lord Commander Millitant / Warmaster.

No. Warmaster and Lord Commander Millitant are two entirely different things. And Macaroth is only a Warmaster.

A Warmaster in the current Imperium is a Supreme Commander, chosen by the High Lords of Terra to carry a Crusade. You see, a Crusade will be made up of hundreds of the different IG regiments, various naval fleets, Titan Legions and Space Marine Companies. Essentially, a diverse collection of the Imperium's fighting forces, each with their own leaders and command structures. It falls to the Warmaster to commander the entire force as a whole. He has complete and total control over the forces of the Crusade, but only the forces of the Crusade.

The Lord Commander Millitant of the Imperial Guard is the head of the Departmento Munitorum, the organization that is in charge of command, general administration and most importantly, logistics of the Imperial Guard. It may sound powerful but its basically a massive military bureaucracy. In fact, while he may sound like he's in this uber powerful position as the head of the Departmento Munitorum and the IG but the truth is that the IG is utterly massive, that impossible for him to actually control the IG. He's more or less just an old bureaucrat.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-11, 05:09 PM

Quozzo's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engindeer View Post

"Other names [for Warmaster] include Lord Solar, or just Solar - the title held by Macharius in his crusade at the beginning of the 41st millennium. Some consider 'Warmaster' a cursed title because of the ties to Horus and the Horus Heresy, which tore the Imperium in two. In this light, 'Lord Solar' is considered a more prestigious and desirable title, but fundamentally, the two ranks are interchangeable.3" - Lex

Lord Commander Militant is further up the hierarchy

Chapter Library | Chapter Name Creator

Phoenix Angels

Your unique, just like everyone else.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode