An Armored Regiment - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-31-11, 11:40 PM Thread Starter

BlackGuard's Flag is: USA

Default An Armored Regiment

I've been considering writing up some fluff on my own personal Imperial Guard armored regiment. I am curious as to what a 'reasonable' size would be in the grand-scale of the 41st Millennium.

I know that IG regiments vary in size dramatically from perhaps 5 men to 500,000. But what would be a moderate number? I'm talking not just about the men in general, but the tanks as well. I don't want to be proporting that my regiment has 40,000 tanks and such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman78 View Post
The chaos gods abandoned Horus most likely because they saw the can of whoop ass coming their way and wanted out of the way so as not to get fucked up!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-11, 12:28 AM

Cyleune's Flag is: USA

Traditionally there is squads of 10 men.
3 squads to a platoon.
4 platoons to a company.
4 companies to a battalion.
4 battalions to a regiment.
4 regiments to a division.
Plus attached armor and support units.

So probably around 10,000 troops and about 3-4,000 vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azezel View Post
Safety warnings in the Imperium would be... Less than helpful.

Caution! Failure to appease the Machine Spirit may cause it to grow wrathful!

Extreme Danger: Recite the Litany of the Somnolent Inferno before firing.

Reminder: The Adeptus Mechanicus reminds you that this weapon is both sacred and more valuable than your entire platoon.

Important! Death in service to the Emperor is its own reward.

Yep, that's really useful
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-11, 03:08 AM
hailene's Flag is: USA

From what I've been able to gather, there's usually 10 tanks to a company. That probably means 60 men to a company. Say, about 15 companies makes up a regiment (at least in Infantry regiments). That's a base of 900 men.

Then you need on-hand replacement crews, mechanics, priests (bot of the spiritual and Mechanicus side), support crew manning the atlases, and the like and you could probably end up around 1500-1800 men in the least.

The Imperial Guard Codex mentions an armored regiment toward its start that says it only had 1500 men. In the context of the Codex, however, this was pitched as a small regiment. Then again, it may just be low when compared to standard infantry regiments. It goes to say Super-Heavy regiments number only a dozen machines and those are probably the smallest regiments in terms of head counts. So I don't think that this 1500 number is the smallest possible.

Given that this unit you're making is at full strength, I'd probably pitch somewhere around 900-2000 men. This depends on how many companies of the regiment are manned by 6 manned tanks, 10 company tanks, versus less men-intensive companies of artillery, sentinels, ect.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-11, 07:54 PM

forkmaster's Flag is: Sweden

I'd say perhaps 9-10 tanks in each company, 3 tanks in a squad and if there is a Baneblade, that would make up an entire company by itself. I would recommend Gunheads-novel if you want to take a look into an armored regiment. Im not sure, but I do believe reading in the Apocalyps expansion for 40k they make up how many men there are in a regiment and how many tanks there is in a company on 1-2 pages.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-11, 10:18 PM
Deathwing Commissar

Phoebus's Flag is: USA

I think three Baneblades together make a super-heavy company, which is less a unit in its own right and more an asset used by an entire Army, right?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-11, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebus View Post
I think three Baneblades together make a super-heavy company, which is less a unit in its own right and more an asset used by an entire Army, right?
Indeed. And it's rare that these beasts fight together. They're usually parceled out across a front to bolster Imperial forces.

Although in the Tyranid codex it talks about a Baneblade company that appears that all three fought together. Since it says that a single Tyranofex destroyed all three. It's possible that a single Tyranofex went up and down the line and destroyed all three, and the Crimsonfell defenders were able to recognize it was the same one (unlikely, but perhaps it had a distinct color or notable wounds on it?), but more likely all three were used as a spear for the Imperial counterattack and was trashed by the Tyranofex.

So, to recap...yeah, they usually fight separately, but occasionally, when hit poop hits the fan they can fight together.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-11, 12:32 AM
Searching for Vulkan

HorusReborn's Flag is: USA

I wouldn't worry so much as to how many are in a regiment. What I think is important is to make up some characters, give them life and learn as you go. Look at Gaunts Ghosts, it's the 1st Regiment, but you only know of maybe a squad of main characters. So I don't think numbers are the issue, characters and the like are. If you write more "sequels" you can create mor characters. Commisar Cain's books are a good example too... Same Valhallan regiment, different characters who go along with him! good luck man

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-11, 02:54 PM

forkmaster's Flag is: Sweden

Yeah focus on a dozen characters at first, otherwise you will lose the reader. You as the creator have a much easier time remembering them. But you could keep in mind "Well there are about this many left" so there wont be a contradictory about how many there are present, for example the Astartes Legions during the Great Crusade.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-11, 05:53 PM

I don't think he's worried about having 4000 characters. He probably just wants to make sure when he writes his background that he doesn't say his regiment is made up of 500 super heavies supported by 50,000 tanks. He wants to make sure his regiment is within the ballpark of other ones.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-11, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

BlackGuard's Flag is: USA

Very true and thank you all for your input. Anymore advice or comments would be appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman78 View Post
The chaos gods abandoned Horus most likely because they saw the can of whoop ass coming their way and wanted out of the way so as not to get fucked up!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode