The soul - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-26-11, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Androxine Vortex's Flag is: USA

Default The soul

POSSIBLE SPOILERS FOR FIRST HERETIC! (not really)

When the Word Bearers fly into the Eye of Terror, the Daemon Ingethel told them that this is where souls come to to be devoured. And on the glass you could see handprints and faces screaming as they were pressed up against the ship.
So I got wondering: Just wht happens to a normal soul in the Warhammer 40K universe. Do they all just go into the warp to be devoured?

+MAY THE DARK GODS BLESS YOU WITH MANY TENTACLES+
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-26-11, 07:09 PM

Partybear's Flag is: United Kingdom

I believe so the warp is created by all the evil that humanity and the other races with souls create, therefore when souls die they then get consumed by the immaterium as they have no physical body to anchor them in this universe. Unless your an eldar living in a nice snug stone!

Play the Game Fool!!
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-26-11, 07:30 PM

TheSpore's Flag is: USA

I see the warp as an alternate dimension that is just a relfection of the material world. when a person dies there soul leaves this universe and goes there where only the strongest souls are not consumed.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-26-11, 07:50 PM

LukeValantine's Flag is: Canada

Once again certain terms don't really apply to the immaterium (Damn philosophy). For instance devoured, doesn't really apply in that souls are more or less getting pulled apart into their respective elements then assimilated into the magor consciousnesses of coalescent entities within the warp. However if one element of the individual is robust enough then their consciousness become ingrained in that concept and services the pull experienced in the warp (In a factual way I actually doubt the chaos gods, daemons have much control in what happens to a human soul).

Medusa: "I'm a witch, its my job to blaspheme against Gods."

Two Slaanesh daemons on the first go...hmm I guess the fates have spoken emperors children here I come
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-26-11, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Because if when you die you immediatly go to the warp then what's the point of not siding with Chaos? You could either fight Chaos and live in fear your whole life and then Chaos would destroy you in the end, or you could live with Chaos practicaly forever and then maybe get eaten.

post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-26-11, 10:06 PM

The way I see it is sort of like the individuals self forms a tiny core around which ideas and emotions coalesce but it is also capable of forming these ideas and emotions itself, kind of like a sun in a solar system. Creating heavier elements and then exerting gravitational fields to cause these elements to form planets, asteroids etc. When the sun is extinguished the gravitational fields it exerts cease and the planets are then free to fly of into space to be sucked in by other suns or black holes. In this way at the death of an individual their 'soul' (there solar system) will cease to exist as a coherent, identifiable mass but its legacy or 'taste' (composite planets) will remain present and theorectically detectable throughout the universe.

As for why not everyone embraces chaos. Some people are masochists, they like to see everything they work for destroyed. Others are simply ignorant.

"Look into my eyes, and see your death."
"Let them hate, so long as they fear."
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-26-11, 10:24 PM

Unknown Primarch's Flag is: United Kingdom

id say that living vessels are not the beginning of life but items the souls use to manifest in the material universe. seeing as the warp is timeless and has more than one kind of sentient consciousness active with its dimension then its highly likely its the original realm of creation. we know negative energy has created chaos gods and daemons but could positive energy have created some form of sentient life also and if so could this be the example of say how the eldar gods were formed. maybe there is no black and white in this matter and chaos is neither evil or good but just the natural order of things. good and evil is just a manmade concept to explain the reasoning of why certain things happen and when a soul binds with a vessel the person can do good and evil things in equal measure thus explaining the ying yang aspect of the warp and its denizens.
when it bores down to it this could actually be the only real cosmic truth of the whole universe as you get creation and destruction inevitably when all is said and done.

if i dont see the world the same as you how come you expect me to see a whole galaxy spanning empire the same as you do then?!
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-26-11, 11:03 PM
naturalbornloser's Flag is: United Kingdom

Now this is a hard question to answer.

The way i see it, were talking about the every day human person in 40k. Most of the human population hold the " GOD EMPOROR " as the be all and end in in their life. So lets say were talking 90% of the human population. Now we have to discount all the natural deaths ( not every one in the 40k verse dies in war ). So lets say that leves 70% that are at a war footing.

For aguments sack lets say 10% are dedacated to the 4 Chaos Gods, so we know where their soles are going.

Another 10% of just plane old crazy people who's massive issues are bound to draw the attention of the Chaos Gods.

Now that leaves us at 50% of the human population at war. Now granted in war some people get a bit carried away and start having to much fun ( regardless of the commissar ) so say 10% are to have fun with Chaos.

So that leaves 40% who all have an unding love of the BIG E. Where do they go?

Please not % is for refrance perposes only and do's not reprasent actual figures
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-27-11, 12:16 AM

LukeValantine's Flag is: Canada

They all go to the warp where they are disseminated into their component parts. A number of 40k books have shown that regardless of their faith people end up in the warp, but some seem to be protected from the ravages of the war, and live on as warp ghosts (Daemonifuge series). So no believing in the big E doesn't change where you go, just what may happen to you when you get here.

In short the warp isn't hell its the after life in one broad stroke.

Medusa: "I'm a witch, its my job to blaspheme against Gods."

Two Slaanesh daemons on the first go...hmm I guess the fates have spoken emperors children here I come
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-27-11, 02:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeValantine View Post
They all go to the warp where they are disseminated into their component parts. A number of 40k books have shown that regardless of their faith people end up in the warp, but some seem to be protected from the ravages of the war, and live on as warp ghosts (Daemonifuge series). So no believing in the big E doesn't change where you go, just what may happen to you when you get here.

In short the warp isn't hell its the after life in one broad stroke.
What about people that are Psykers or Pariahs? I don't think it maters if you are pariah because thats genetics but maybe being a psyker would affect how you are treated in the warp as energy.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode