Astartes Rivalries and Hatreds? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-14-10, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Well That Was Unexpected

Default Astartes Rivalries and Hatreds?

Hey everyone.

*There may be spoilers throughout this post depending on your having read certain Horus Heresy books or not.

I'm just curious as to what other Astartes Legion or particular xeno race each of the 18 Legions has a rivalry or hatred of and why. This can also include 'friendly' rivalries and 40k Chapters.

Also if anyone wants to list their custom Chapter or Chaos Warbands particular rivalry/hatred that might be alot of fun too, and will add a bit more longevity to the topic.

I'll get the ball rolling :

Loyalists

Ultramarines
- Word Bearers would be a definate due to the battle of Calith during the Heresy. Tyranids as well due to the battle of Maccrage againt Hive Fleet Behemoth.

White Scars - The Dark Eldar would definately be high on the White Scar's hitlist due to the raids on their home planet during the Heresy and the fact their Primarch was either slane or has been captured by DE forces in the webway.

Blood Angels - I would imagine Abaddon would personally be on their (s)hitlist due to simply having the Talon of Horus and also in a recent novel Fabius Bile caused quite a few problems for them.

Imperial Fists - This would be the Iron Warriors as they had a rivalry even before the Heresy started as Perturabo hated Dorn's guts, and this culminated in the Iron Cage 'incident' lol.

Space Wolves - Thousand Sons would be their biggest rivalry I would think. I haven't read Prospero Burns yet, just Thousand Sons, so I'm biased in believing this is all there fault. So please if you want to elaborate more use spoiler tags lol.

Dark Angels - I would say themselves due to the whole hunting of the Fallen.

Iron Hands - Definately the Emperor's Children as their Primarch was slain by Fulgrim personally.

Crimson Fists - I would imagine they have an intense hatred for the Orks.

Traitors

Black Legion - I would say literally everyone. They hate the Imperium in it's entirety and also they were turned on by all the other Chaos Legions in the Eye of Terror for being the first ones to retreat on Terra. Although the Emperor's Children and Fabius Bile might be particularly disliked for trying to clone Horus.

Word Bearers - You only have to read The First Heretic to find out why they would hate the Ultramarines so much. Also apparently they dislike the Alpha Legion due to the nature of each Legions tactics and how they often come into conflict. So when the WB's try to set up Chaos cults the Alpha Legion may be trying to set-up terrorist like cells etc. Interestingly they also have kept up their hatred of all xeno's as well, which is indicated in The Word Bearer's Trilogy.

Thousand Sons - I would imagine that the Space Wolves aren't going to be invited to the Sorcerer's planet anytime soon (although maybe they will, but it won't be to their liking). The novel Thousand Sons made me completely sympathise with this Legion's plight.

Iron Warriors - They are pretty bitter about everyone, but the Imperial Fists and all of their Chapters would no doubt be the recipients of most of their hate. Although boy did they get them back in style (Ironcage).

World Eaters - Easy answer would be everyone or Emperor's Children (because of GW's new simplified understanding of Chaos rivalries) although I would guess Kharn wouldn't be looked upon very kindly.

So there you have it folks. That's my contribution so far.

Just to reiterate, if anyone else want to contribute their own Chapter/Legion/Warband's fluff as well as talking about the original Legions, that might be a more fun way of discussing this topic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-14-10, 02:05 PM

The Crimson fists are a successor. I thought this was a list of the legions.

Edit: Ok...sorry I didn't read all of it.

Last edited by locustgate; 12-14-10 at 02:31 PM.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-14-10, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Well That Was Unexpected

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-A-C View Post
This can also include 'friendly' rivalries and 40k Chapters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by locustgate View Post
The Crimson fists are a successor. I thought this was a list of the legions.
Hope that answers your question.

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-14-10, 02:44 PM

High_Seraph's Flag is: USA

The Dark Angels and the Space Wolves have a "friendly" rivalry due to an incindent that occured during the greate crusade.

"Loyalty is its own reward."
Lion El'Jonson.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-14-10, 03:19 PM
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

I'm all Team Russ, espcially after reading Prospero Burns. Even before i read it, no matter how sympathetic Thousand Sons did indeed make Magnus and the legion appear, their arrogance shone through completely, they believed they were masters of the warp and had no limits, they were corrupt from the very start they just didn't know it, they may have been loyal and for that i truely do sympathise with them, but their fall was inevitable, every single one of them doomed to fall, espically with their 'pet' deamons.

And afer reading Prospero Burns, spoilers ahead

post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-14-10, 05:52 PM

Baron Spikey's Flag is: United Kingdom

The Space Wolves really dislike the Flesh Tearers- there's been full on combat between the 2 chapters after the FT rampaged through imperial civilians after driving the enemy away, sadly for the blood crazed madmen they were fighting alongside the Sons of Russ who take a dim view of such actions...
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-14-10, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Well That Was Unexpected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Spikey View Post
The Space Wolves really dislike the Flesh Tearers- there's been full on combat between the 2 chapters after the FT rampaged through imperial civilians after driving the enemy away, sadly for the blood crazed madmen they were fighting alongside the Sons of Russ who take a dim view of such actions...
Is that true?

By that I mean, where can I read that story, it sounds awesome lol?
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-14-10, 06:43 PM

Baron Spikey's Flag is: United Kingdom

It's in the BA Codex, the timeline section under 'Honour's End'.

Edit: no it's in the SW Codex, sorry.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-14-10, 07:36 PM
Bruva I am hit!

Protoss119's Flag is: USA

As of the 5E BA Codex, the Blood Angels appeared to have formed a rivalry with the World Eaters during the Great Crusade due to both of them sharing the role of shock troops. The World Eaters were reputedly bloodthirstier, however.

And I guess if you want to count it, my Stormhunters share a rivalry with the Ultramarines. </shameless self-advertising>

Homebrew stuff for your viewing pleasure:
The Stormhunters Fluff/Crunch - Updated 10/07/13
The Rust Legion Fluff - Updated 5/19/13
Firaeveus Carron Rules - Updated 12/9/10
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-14-10, 08:31 PM

Marshal Ragnar's Flag is: USA

High Marshal Helbrecht of the the Black Templars hates Thraka

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode