SM Calorie Intake. - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-09-10, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

Default SM Calorie Intake.

A while ago I was listening to the telly while painting, and a show cam on talking about the calorie intake of the average Joe, and it got me thinking. Just how many calories would a marine need to take in on a daily basis?

I know while on campaign their armour provides all they need, but on a normal day, just training or hanging around the Fang/Phalanx/Baal, how many thousands of calories would they need? Micheal Phelps, an Olympic swimmer, burns 12,000 a day while training, but considering a marine can be a meter taller and have maybe 3 times the body mass, I'd put it at around 50-60,000. Your thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-09-10, 06:33 PM

I laughed when I saw this topic, because I was thinking the same thing... you better putting a space marine on par with another animal from the animal kingdom.

A space-marine would probably have to go straight into the 100k's of calories as they have a massive amount of muscle mass, and a hyper metabolism. They must feed off the fear of their enemies... because that amount of calorie intake is almost unimaginable!

Even though you walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I'm there waiting... and your not coming out alive!
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-09-10, 06:37 PM

Azezel's Flag is: United Kingdom

First - remember that most of your energy intake is used simply being a warm-blooded animal. Serriously, it's really, really expensive, that's why most animals don't bother. Now, as it happens, the more massive the animal, the less energy (proportionately!) it needs to stay warm. That's why tiny voles and whatnot pretty much need to eat all day, they can starve t death in a few hours, whereas whales can go for months without eating.

Whales are also highly efficient and well insulated. Just like Space Marines. I'd bet the Emperor built them to run pretty lean and they can squeeze far more useful energy out of a calorie than a normal human. The Black Carapace is probably designed to insulate them as well as interface with their armour.

Long story short, I'd say a Space Marine could get by on 20k to 30k calories a day.

Looking for a friendly wargaming club on the Isle of Wight? Drop me a line.

Sisters of Battle - The Order of Glory Undimmed - 2'500 Points | High Elves - House Cyredeth - 2'500 Points | Bretonnians - The Muster of Sir Jules Estelle - 3'000 Points

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-09-10, 07:00 PM
ChaosRedCorsairLord's Flag is: Australia

Considering all the extra organs SMs have and their extra bone and muscle mass they would need to eat ridiculously large amounts of food to stay alive. But it's all good since they can eat almost anything due to one of there extra organs.

I'm pretty sure a SM's nervous system is relatively unchanged by their transformation which is good since the brain accounts for approximately 1/4 of your daily calorie use.

When I was a young boy, I dreamed of being a baseball...
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-09-10, 07:03 PM
Grand Lord Munchkin

gen.ahab's Flag is: USA

20-30k, like Azezel said.
Haegr The Mouintain, on the other hand, would be atleast 3-4 times that number

The Website kept telling me that my profile was only 80% complete without creating a signature. Ain't no website going to tell me I was a lazy shit, no sir.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-10-10, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen.ahab View Post
20-30k, like Azezel said.
Haegr The Mouintain, on the other hand, would be atleast 3-4 times that number

That is a gross overstatement; A male african elephant consumes 50.000 calories a day. And for such a big creature it has a terrible energy-output. It's warm-blooded AND a herbivore, eating more than 300 punds of grass a day.

As a former competitive swimmer I kept a diet of around 3000-5000 calories a day, with training 30+ hours a week. I'm a 6'1 guy and weighs 170 lbs - didn't really want to go into this.

Even with all the 'superior' genetics, a Space Marine diet of 20k-30k calories a day seems to be appropriate.

However, on a funny note, check out the Elvis daily diet:

The Elvis Diet:

Breakfast (5 pm) - 5,000 calories

six large eggs cooked in butter with extra salt, 1lb of bacon, half a pound of sausages, 12 buttermilk biscuits

Dinner (10p) - 84,000 calories

Two "Fool's Gold" sandwiches [a jar of peanut butter, a jar of strawberry jam, one pound of crisp-fried bacon on a baguette x2]

Supper (4a) - 5,000 calories

5 double-hamburgers and deep-fried peanut butter, mashed banana sandwiches.

Misc. - other snacks as required between meals

Elvis total dietary intake in calories averaged a minimum of 94,000 *per day*. The article highlights that an adult Asian elephant (many tons in weight) has a normal diet of 50,000 calories per day. The article quotes a spokesman for the British Nutrition Foundation as saying, "I do not know how he did it... The Elvis diet would fuel a normal man for a month." The article continues, "Eventually this condition [consuming 94,000 calories worth of food per day] contributed to his death

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-10-10, 11:01 PM
Grand Lord Munchkin

Are we talking about the Haegr part? Because that was sarcasm.

The Website kept telling me that my profile was only 80% complete without creating a signature. Ain't no website going to tell me I was a lazy shit, no sir.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-10-10, 11:24 PM

hard to tell, given we're online, bro

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-10-10, 11:28 PM
Grand Lord Munchkin

True... probably should have thrown an emoticon in there.

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-11-10, 02:55 AM

chromedog's Flag is: Australia

Depends what their Baseline Metabolic Rate is.
Formula uses Height, weight, male/female & age multiplied by a certain number.

For an 'Average' human, it should be 5-10,000 Kj per day.

30% of our intake is purely used to break down into fuel what we eat. So we eat to power the system that we use to power the system we use to live.

SM have two hearts and three lungs, as well as several other organs. They are also 7' tall and probably mass twice/thrice a 'fit' athlete (at least).

Probably on the order of 50-60,000Kj a day.

Hey! Where'd ... Everybody ... go?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode