SM Calorie Intake. - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-11-10, 03:18 AM
hailene's Flag is: USA

I've read that in terms of mechanical efficiency, our bodies use only 25% of the energy supplied to our muscles. The rest is lost as heat. I would imagine Space Marine bodies would be much more efficient and converting a greater amount into actual mechanical energy and not wasteful thermal energy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-11-10, 03:35 AM
Gigantor's Flag is: Canada

Well, I may not be a space marine, but I am 7' tall and I work in construction. I need to eat 4500 - 5000 Calories per day to maintain my weight and muscle mass. I would say that I have a medium-high activity level at work. I'm guessing that a space marine would probably require double to triple that. So I'd say 15000 Calories/day while in combat/training.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-11-10, 04:42 AM
Entropy Fetishist

Mossy Toes's Flag is: USA

Remember also that Space Marines can control their metabolism to some degree--the Sus'an Membrane implant allows them to induce a state of suspended animation in themselves that's basically a "burn nearly 0 calories" hibernation. I believe that one Marine survived for around two hundred years in that state...

CSM Plog, Tactica

What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator! Imperator!

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-11-10, 10:25 AM

Baron Spikey's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy Toes View Post
Remember also that Space Marines can control their metabolism to some degree--the Sus'an Membrane implant allows them to induce a state of suspended animation in themselves that's basically a "burn nearly 0 calories" hibernation. I believe that one Marine survived for around two hundred years in that state...
567 years.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-11-10, 11:03 AM

When I was doing forest fire fighting last summer as a job, I was eating around 16,000 calories a day and drinking a gallon of water and still losing weight. The hyped up military rations we were issued helped, as each one had around 6,000 calories. Speaking from experience I would say that the space marines must have some sort of killer supplements and some really awesome synthetic source of nutrition. I mean to move all that muscle, support all the extra organs, plus other assorted marine stuff would take a TON of calories. Lets be honest, a guy all stuffed with that much food isn't gonna be very good in a fight, so they must be using a good system of delivery so they can have all those calories and not have that much matter in Their stomachs causing them to be sluggish. (they also probably digest and absorb their calories with a lot better efficiency than us)

Well that was unexpected..... -Last words of chaos Warmaster Veran The Undefeatable

Join the Guard or die, then die anyways -unkown
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-11-10, 12:40 PM
Well That Was Unexpected

I'm not trying to stop anyone discussing fluff, but Jezus Christ (PC-Spelling) people talk about the most bizarre things.

Do you seriously think people at GW or BL Head Quarters are all sitting around discussing how many frickin calories a day Space Marine needs. What is this, 40k or You Are What You Eat.

What is Gillian McKieth going to lead in Loken, Abaddon, Ahriman, Kharn, Lucius etc and say, "Right guys, we have layed out all the food you eat in a week here, what do you all think? Aren't you ashamed? You in particular Horus, thats right don't think I've forgotten about you. Now everyone lets go over your stool samples ..."

For goodness sake folks, talk about something useful lol, not debating the calorie count for a Space Marine like a bunch of women lol.

Loken "Hey Aximand do you think my bum looks big in this armour"

Aximand "Oh definately, the way you've been eating lately, your piling on the pounds"

Abaddon "Aximand, your such a b*tch"

(Cat Fight ensue
s)

Seriously, c'mon people!!!
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-11-10, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-A-C View Post
For goodness sake folks, talk about something useful lol, not debating the calorie count for a Space Marine like a bunch of women.
I was curious and posted a thread. Obviously others have thought about it a bit. If you've nothing to contribute, or have no interest in the thread, why bother posting? At least this is all about 40k, as opposed to all those "SM v Ewok" or "Batman v Old One Eye" threads.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-11-10, 09:22 PM

Baron Spikey's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-A-C View Post
I'm not trying to stop anyone discussing fluff, but Jezus Christ (PC-Spelling) people talk about the most bizarre things.
Seriously, c'mon people!!!
Fuck off then.

A thread like this does no harm and instead explores elements of the background that wouldn't normally be explored- it's not like there is a post/thread limit on Heresy, this topic isn't bringing us closer to some mythical borderline.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-11-10, 09:27 PM
I am Alpharius.

Doelago's Flag is: Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Spikey View Post
Fuck off then.
That was a good one!

This thread is actually quite... Interesting...

[Flerden] 9:05 pm: Why the hell can't he just go offline if he goes to watc tv?
[dark angel] 9:06 pm: It is Doelago, we will never know
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-11-10, 09:47 PM

Professor Pumpkin's Flag is: England

In order to maintain that healthy and strong physique that the Adeptus Astartes have, they obey very strictly to the Adepta Sorortis clan known as "Weightwatchers"

Story I'm Currently Writing:

The Diary of a Guardsman (Continuous Story)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode