Favourite Human Horus Heresy/Black Library Character? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-03-10, 01:12 AM Thread Starter
Well That Was Unexpected

Default Favourite Human Horus Heresy/Black Library Character?

Hey everyone.

Let's face it, writing about all conquering Astartes, demi-God Primarchs and a soon to be God Emperor (whoops spolier .. nah not really) the HH writers have wisely decided to usually include a human or group of human characters for us follow.

So my question is, which human character have you most enjoyed following/readng about in both specifically the Horus Heresy series and then also any other Black Library fictions you have enjoyed.

If you answer (and I hope we'll get a good amout of replies on this one) for the love of the Corpse God don't just write character names without any explanation as to why you enjoyed them.

Anyway I'll go first (minor spoilers throughout) :

Cyrene from The First Heretic - This is perhaps one of A-D-B's best written characters (and he has written a few really good ones). The character stood out to me as being, not only a great way for us to view and understand the Word Bearer Legion, but also she played a vitally important role within both the Legion and the story itself.

Now I will also admit that I'm a big softy and the fact that it was both a girl as well as a disabled one (loss of eyesight due to that bastar... nevermind) really tugged on my heartstrings. But I also feel it added a fresh take on the various situations she found herself in, i.e. meeting the religious leaders on Colchis and the Primarch Lorgar etc as she couldn't see them and so it added a new dimension to the story as a whole.

Finally two scenes that really stuck with me are; the part where she and her ... ahem ... lover, wake up and he is late for the meeting, can't find his sabre etc, which I though was an excellent bit of characterisation which emphasised that, yes, these characters are grown-ups (something again A-D-B in particular does really well IMO) and also the her ending with Aquillon. I was literally devastated by what followed and am not ashamed to admit that like Argel Tal, I too read her final message more than once, and waited for it to be finished, but alas it wasn't to be.

Finally I'd like to add that even though I am playing Black Legion on the Table Top, my Vindicator shall be of the Word Bearer's Legion and I have actually nicknamed it 'Cyrene's Revenge'. Sigh ...

Anyway that was my favourite human character in both 40k fiction and the Horus Heresy Series specifically. There are others I enjoyed and I'll chip in about them if anyone else selects them as their favourites.

So, who is you favourite human character?

P.S How the heck do you start a poll, as i'll set one up, if we get enough responses?

Last edited by D-A-C; 12-03-10 at 01:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-03-10, 03:24 AM

This is easy. Malcador. Thread over.

Why? Too many reasons. But I'll go with saving humanity until the Emperor was able to take over the golden throne.

I support Exterminatus.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-03-10, 06:34 AM

cegorach's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperious View Post
This is easy. Malcador. Thread over.

Why? Too many reasons. But I'll go with saving humanity until the Emperor was able to take over the golden throne.
As far as achievements go, saving the imperium and being the emperors most trusted individual goes pretty high.

Malcador ftw.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-03-10, 08:19 AM
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

Cyrene was a good character but i was a little confused at just how easily she seemed to accept the Word Bearers dramatic descent into Chaos. Would have liked to have seen some of her reactions to the confessions which would no doubt have become more and more disturbing.

Me? Far far too many. Too name a few. There will be Spoilers for most of these in the list

Hurtardo Bronzi from Legion - Excellent character. Funny, smart, good at his job and then an Alpha Legion operative. His scenes almost stole the book for me at some points, having some of the funniest quotes from the HH series to date.

Virtually the entire Tanith First and Only - I can't just pick one, Gaunt, Rawne, Beltayn, Corbec, Larkin, Mkoll, Caffran, Daur, Dorden etc etc etc It's my favourite BL series for a reason. Abnett really made me care about the characters and it's so refreshing to actually read a detailed and long series that is all about the human element, forgetting the Astartes. When some of the big names died, it really genuinly tugged at me and sent a shiver down my spine (you'll know which ones i mean!) It's just so much more easy to relate to them than characters in other books who are usually either Astartes or Inquisitors.

I would list more or go into more detail on individual Ghosts but i'm out of time, may come back later to finish off
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-03-10, 10:34 AM
Chaos God of Old Night

Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom

Hmm Horus Heresy humans, not my first choices for favourites but if I had to pick i'd say...Eristede Kell from Nemesis. That solemn assassin sniper was quite good, despite the mixed reception to Nemesis I thoroughly enjoyed it, Spear was my favourite of that piece but he isn't human, anymore.

But I enjoyed Kell's dedication to the mission, his fight scenes, the one where he kills Spear was awesome, and his final moments of sacrifice.

As for full BL there is no question about it. Ciaphas Cain is my all-time favourite human character. The wise-cracking secretly cowardly yet resolute and often heroic Commissar is a triumph of Black Library, and the only series i'd buy in complete hardback. Every Cain novel is cracking with humour, a rare thing in the grim darkness of the 41st Millennium but Sandy Mitchell has created a character that is funny and 40k at the same time, the reason that despite not being a Heresy author, I think he is one of Black Library's best.

"Blood for the Blood God!"
"Harriers for the Cup!"

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-03-10, 12:05 PM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

John Grammaticus from Legion. I can't really say why, but he was the first name to come to mind when I thought about it. Ahriman would come second.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-03-10, 12:19 PM
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

Ahriman being Astartes doesn't fit the criteria for this ^^. Grammaticus was cool though, enjoyed him alot. Tbh i loved everyone in Legion. Bronzi, Soneka, Grammaticus and of course the extreme bad ass that was Dinas Chayne
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-03-10, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Well That Was Unexpected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel of Blood View Post
Cyrene was a good character but i was a little confused at just how easily she seemed to accept the Word Bearers dramatic descent into Chaos. Would have liked to have seen some of her reactions to the confessions which would no doubt have become more and more disturbing.
Hey Angel looking good !!!! (points to the new medal)

As for Cyrene, I think that given the fact that she witnessed the heretical (in her eyes ... which is a very un-PC comment if you think about it) activities of those damned Ultra Smurfs literally destroying her world and blinding her in the process, then it's a little easier to understand her acceptance of the Legions fall.

Also I think that she was intimately knowledgable about a vast number of the individual Astartes and her meeting with Lorgar must have been a life changing experience (even if you are blind). So in that respect her willingness to follow her 'Angels' on their descent into Chaos worship is very well portrayed.

There also might be an argument that she, along with her planet, held some of the 'Old Faith' which Kor Phareon and Erebus had been propogating on conqurered worlds, which was in essence early Chaos Worship.

Those are just some thoughts.

BTW well done on both the award and spotting that Asartes post ... NO ASTARTES ALLOWED lol, human characters only please.

Last edited by D-A-C; 12-03-10 at 11:41 PM.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-03-10, 02:26 PM

Bane_of_Kings's Flag is: England

I'm going with The Tanith First. Everyone apart from Cuu, are my favourites. Second would probably be the main characther from Prospero Burns. (Yes, I've read the book, see my review).

Bane of Kings Out.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-03-10, 03:29 PM
Craw-Daddy

I liked Sindermenn. I forgot how to spell his name. But he basically mentored Loken's beliefs in the beginning of the book. And continued to do so through that trilogy.

As for other BL fictions, I liked Guardsmen Hawke. Not many guardsmen can say they've been responsible for so many traitor astartes deaths.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode