Technology - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-30-08, 06:12 AM

Tau firearms technology is not more advanced. Humanity will be able to replicate all of theTau's weapon systems in several dozen years, but gravitonic propulsion is well beyond us. It requires both a vastly deeper understanding of the physical structure of the universe and a massive level of pure science research.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-30-08, 02:41 PM

It depends greatly tau are more "techonilly" but the Eldar are advanced in the other sense of techongly
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-02-08, 04:58 AM

Daneel2.0's Flag is: USA

Eldar are the trust fund babies of the 40K universe. Practically everything they have was handed to them by the Slaan. They really aren’t all that creative except in terms of psychics. That doesn’t mean that their tech isn’t top notch however. You may hate their daddy’s credit card, but it has a hell of a limit.

Tau on the hand have no ability with psychics at all, but they are really tech savvy, and growing at a rapid clip. This advancement isn’t, by any stretch of the imagination, certain or potentially unlimited. They may hit a plateau that they can’t get over. It can and does happen as the standard pattern of advancement, barring outside help. Unfortunately they haven’t gotten to the point where they can match off against the Eldar in terms of how advanced they are overall.

So right now, Eldar. In the future, almost certainly Tau.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse View Post
[Necrons]shoot, shoot, teleport, shoot. win

post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-02-08, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daneel2.0 View Post
So right now, Eldar. In the future, almost certainly Tau.
Not necessarily. For Tau to become superior they would need time, that is something not guaranteed in the 40k universe. Im sure if the tyrinids hit Tau worlds all their tech wouldn't count for squat. And if they eventually tuned into the warp for means of travel or any other reason, im pretty sure their tech rate would slow as they dealt with chaos.

And would the Eldar let the Tau become the most technologically adept race in the universe, would they let the Tau surpass them...i don't think so, and to strike while their technology is still more advanced would probably beat the Tau down or at least slow their growth rate significantly.

Just a thought or two...
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-03-08, 03:50 AM

Wolf_Lord_Skoll's Flag is: Australia

Eldar are far more advanced.... look at the death spinner. It fires molocluear sized string that travels so fast it simply slices through almost anything. What do tau have? Really fast bullets.
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-03-08, 04:25 AM

and the Eldar have something called swords. you see, when your in close combat, you find the guys with sword and tell them to help you, or, if your Eldar, you do it yourself.
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-03-08, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel of Retribution View Post
Not necessarily. For Tau to become superior they would need time, that is something not guaranteed in the 40k universe. Im sure if the tyrinids hit Tau worlds all their tech wouldn't count for squat. And if they eventually tuned into the warp for means of travel or any other reason, im pretty sure their tech rate would slow as they dealt with chaos.

And would the Eldar let the Tau become the most technologically adept race in the universe, would they let the Tau surpass them...i don't think so, and to strike while their technology is still more advanced would probably beat the Tau down or at least slow their growth rate significantly.

Just a thought or two...
I think you're hypothesizing based on some false assumptions. To start, the Tau are far more resilient than you give them credit for.

The Tau have already met the Tyranids and were "able to scatter and destroy an entire splinter fleet without the loss of a single vessel" with the leadership of Commander Shadowsun. (Tau codex, pg. 46)

They have also stymied a full crusade of the Imperium and bounced right back in what is known as the Third Phase Expansion.

The Tau are uniquely adapted to life in a galaxy overrun with Chaos. They have no psychic impact at all in the Warp, and that makes them useless and all but invisible to the Warp Gods. If we think along the lines of natural selection, the Tau are destined to outlive every other race that is tormented by the corruption of the Warp.

As for the Eldar, why would they have any reason to hate the Tau? The Tau have found a relatively peaceful lifestyle that maintains balance even in a hostile galaxy. That is exactly what the Craftworlds are striving for with their strict teachings. And the Tau, of course, would typically welcome any Eldar they meet to diplomatic relations with their Water Caste. Unfortunately, the Eldar are far too stuck-up and proud to actually let such talks amount to much. Chances are that the Tau would at least learn something from the Eldar, though.

Sorry, that went a bit OT. I feel that the Tau are about equal with the Eldar in terms of the advancement of traditional technologies. However, augmented with "magic" pysker powers, the Eldar tech is still much more capable. Remember that the Eldar held the power over a even sun before the Fall, and they still hold that level of knowledge in secret.

Last edited by Krovin Rezh; 08-03-08 at 01:31 PM.
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-03-08, 01:43 PM

...but...

1 - the 'crusade' they stymied was partly abandonned due to the far more rapid and serious advances of the Tyrannid Hivefleets, since which time the Imperium's been pretty busy. If (sure, it's a big if) the Imperium could concentrate on the Tau for a relatively short time, the Tau would be finished. In a year or so, if that. They only have about 20 systems (or something). The Imperium has millions (or something). The numbers may be wrong, but's it's that magnitude of difference we're talking about.

2 - as was pointed out earlier, the Tau cannot colonise the Galaxy without FTL travel; as FTL travel in the 40k universe pretty much implies the Warp, they can't do that without increasing their psychic potential thereby exposing them to Chaos. The price of freedom from Chaos is being stuck in their local systems. Any Galaxy-wide race or empire implies susceptability to Chaos.

3 - you correctly I think state that the Eldar are to proud (and, let's face it, just racist) to learn from the Tau; but they're not so stupid as to let the potential competition steal the lead. They would crush the Tau without any qualms if they thought the Tau were a serious threat (if they could of course). The fact is, the Imperium is a bigger obstacle to the Eldar than the Tau, and I'm sure the Eldar are quite happy for the Tau to fight the Imperium and vice versa. The Eldar have time on their side. Let your two opponents exhaust each other, then pick over the pieces. That's what I'd do...

:playing the long game cyclops:

"Well it's Forty-one Thousand Nine Hundred Sixty-nine OK -
Gotta war across the Milky Way - "
Iggius Popiscus and the Stoogii, "41,969"

post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-03-08, 02:43 PM

I will agree with you on 1 and 2, but my experience with the fluff of the eldar is that they are not interested in crushing other races that are not a threat to their way of life.

The Craftworlds are mainly concerned with the forces of Chaos because they're destroying the galaxy. The Eldar actually do not mind the Imperium so much. They just know how easily the humans can accidentally make things worse for everyone. The only other times the Eldar attack are when Farseers need to change the course of the future to avert greater threats, and if they are themselves under attack.

In the case of the Tau, they have the enlightened leadership of Aun'Va and the Ethereals to keep them from making the wrong decisions. It's hard to imagine a galaxy ruled by the Tau being nearly as bad as the current one, and the Farseers must be able to see that.
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-03-08, 03:23 PM

Who's to say what is right and wong? What is right to the Imperium may be wrong for the Tau. What is wrong for the Eldar may be right for the Tau etc....one mans dream is another mans nightmare. I haven't been in 40k very long and i don't have the wealth of knowledge some of you guys out there have but i have seen that the Eldar are racist and arrogant, im sure they would have no problem in handing the Tau their doom. But right now i think they've got their hands full with Slaanesh.

But the Tau are also a magnificently arrogant race...thinking their way is the correct and only way and then destroying those that dont believe. That doesn't seem very righteous to me. Sounds just as nasty as the rest of the galaxy. But if they keep on going like that they'll end up pissing someone off enough to where they get there arses handed to them in bin bags.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode