blood angels close combat skills ? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-11-10, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
piemelke's Flag is: Belgium

Default blood angels close combat skills ?

In fluff I read every now and then that the BA are renownded for their close combat skills; This intrigues me since they are also famous for their artistic and scientific skills they are basically renessance marines with a dark side making them fiersome killers, the contrast is what does it for me I guess. I read all James Swallow's BA books and to be honest I cannot really find that back in any of his books, (personally I think James is pretty crap in writting BA books and doesn' t give enough credit to the BA, dembski bowden would do a lot better having volunteered to write a flesh tearers book but that is besides the point).
Does anyone have some fluff sources giving some tangible proof of the BA close combat skills.
I recently read chapter's due, and from there I got the impression that especially the raven guard, are guys you do not want mess with. Also the imperial fists are renownded for their skill with a blade (hail Sigismund).
I was wondering if there would be a general Chapter ranking in terms of close combat skills (empirium else Lucius would be in the bowl)
my first guess would be

1 raven guard
2 imperial fists
3 blood angels
4 white scars
5 ...
thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-11-10, 07:43 PM

Captain Stillios's Flag is: United Kingdom

Their Space Marines, you dont want to mess with any of them!

As for the CC skills, it is more situational then anything else. Close Combat out and around with mad charges and honorable combat then the BA's are the best whereas in a mission that favours stealth or a seige then the Raven Guard and Imperial Fists respectivly would do better however all of the chapters can do all of this.

CC skills is more ordered like this:

1st: Blood Angels
2nd: Dark Angels
3rd: Salamanders
4th: Imperial Fists
5th: All of the other 1st founding loyalists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella Cadente View Post
chill out?...CHILL OUT!!!!!!!, THIS IS WARHAMMER, THERE IS NO TIME FOR "CHILLING OUT", WHAT DO YOU THINK THIS IS?, SOME KIND OF GAME?, THIS ARE SERIOUS BUSINESS!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by xNoPityx View Post
The downside to a medium that allows the unlimited exchange of ideas, some people have some really stupid ideas.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-11-10, 07:49 PM

I was only listing the first founding, but if they were on the list then Id say 4th

Quote:
chill out?...CHILL OUT!!!!!!!, THIS IS WARHAMMER, THERE IS NO TIME FOR "CHILLING OUT", WHAT DO YOU THINK THIS IS?, SOME KIND OF GAME?, THIS ARE SERIOUS BUSINESS!!!!
Quote:
The downside to a medium that allows the unlimited exchange of ideas, some people have some really stupid ideas.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-11-10, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

I understood (I know Lexicanum is not always thrustworthy) that the salamanders have slower reflexes than other SM, that is why I do not understand the 3rd place, what is your reason to position them third ?
As for the DA I had no idea they were good at CC.
I would certainly put the raven guard high up there, with their special close combat ninja skills
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-11-10, 08:06 PM
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

1. Blood Angels and Space Wolves

Both the chapters and when they were legions were renowned for there skills in close combat and are dedicated to it. The Blood Angels ranked up alongside the World Eaters both before and after the heresy. In the 13th Black Crusade a masive force of Blood Angels and World Eaters clashed and it was said to be pretty fucking special. The Space Wolves are also the most fearsome in close combat, animalistic and fierce.

I wouldnt even rank the Imperial Fists anywhere near these two. The Raven Guard are very good in close quarters, but it's more about stealth and percision strikes, hitting weak points etc, a scalpel if you will. The Blood Angels are blunt trauma, the Wolves also.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-11-10, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

You are right of course ,forgetting the SW was stupid,

do you have any sources related the BA-WE fight sounds pretty darn awesome (my synapses are goind Bezerk)? Would be very cool to read,
do you have more details?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-11-10, 08:27 PM

DOH! I forgot the SW's....2nd

Quote:
Quote:
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-11-10, 08:31 PM
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

I honestly can't remember where it was, although i have an inkling it was on the campaign website back when it was running

Edit: managed to gather the following
"During the recent Eye of Terror conflict Kossolax summoned a Greater Daemon of Khorne during the battle between the Blood Angels and World Eaters on Agripinaa, the Daemon wrought great havoc amongst the ranks of the Blood Angels, but far worse in the eyes of Sanguinius' sons, spilt the Blood of their Primarch when it severed Numitor's arm causing his Grail Cup to fall, spilling Sanguinius' blood across the tainted pavement. For these 2 reasons has Numitor sworn vengeance, no matter the cost." ( Oz WD 286 - IA: Eye of the Storm)

Remember reading the bit about Numitor aswell, and how the nearby Blood Angels upon seeing the blood spilt attacked the Bloodthirster and ripped it apart with there own hands, if memory serves. Really want to find it now. But either way i can decribe it as being a battle like which has not been seen since the days of the heresy

If you have and can find WD286 (UK edition) pg. 68, have a look there, i don't have any of mine so can't check it, but apparently that might have it in there

Last edited by Angel of Blood; 11-11-10 at 08:45 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode