Eddie Stobart in M41 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-10, 07:20 AM Thread Starter

Default Eddie Stobart in M41

Little Eddie Stobart ref. for any British folk out there who spend any time on the Sceptered Isle's motorways!

So, I was wondering what the IG use when it comes to hauling bulk cargo when they are in and around a combat zone? Do they use canvas sided trucks, like the American 'Deuce-and-a-Half', or would it be more like the old British Army Stalwart? By which I mean, would they go with having most of the cargo vehicles armoured/hard-shelled, or would they be happy to have almost normal trucks, of the sort we see bombing along on the motorways of today?
With the IG's love of heavy armour, I can see the former; I also love the look of the Stalwart (I think I saw it on Wikipedia) and think that it would fit right in. However, the resources that would be needed for a canvas sided truck (or tautliner) would be so much less; even the Imperium will have to limit how it spends its resources.
So what is the general view out there in Heretic-land?

GFP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-10, 11:58 AM

Azezel's Flag is: United Kingdom

Slap an Aquila stencil on the side and the Stalwart would look entirely native in the guard.

Looking for a friendly wargaming club on the Isle of Wight? Drop me a line.

Sisters of Battle - The Order of Glory Undimmed - 2'500 Points | High Elves - House Cyredeth - 2'500 Points | Bretonnians - The Muster of Sir Jules Estelle - 3'000 Points
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-10, 12:38 PM

In the Gaunts Ghosts novels the guard have a whole slew of different truck like vehicles for shifting things away from the front. I think they feature quite a bit in "his last command".

Also they have Trojans

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-10, 02:40 PM
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

I got the impression from Necropolis and Honour Guard that they were almost like our british 4 tonners or american duece and a halfs.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-10, 04:00 PM
Deathwing Commissar

Phoebus's Flag is: USA

It's really all dependant on the battlefield.

I imagine that any campaign where the Guard have localized air superiority would see aerial transport of some sort (I can imagine a cargo variant of the Valkyrie, much like the US military has Chinooks that can alternately haul cargo or troops, or Hercules aircraft that aren't just cargo planes--they can also drop paratroopers and even have a gunship variant).

If the enemy has no real aerial forces/anti-orbital defenses, the Guard could just as easily send landers directly from starships to the units on the ground, cutting out the middle-man and saving tons of time.

Most ground types of conveyance seem to be of the tracked time, so I would imagine most cargo transports would be of the same variety--if nothing else, it would be a cost-cutting measure (manufacturing one product for many platforms; alternately, saving even more money if open-top Chimaera variants were used for cargo hauling).
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-10, 10:37 PM

Davidicus 40k's Flag is: USA

I think they use whatever the Munitorum has on hand, honestly. I'm sure generals and other officers can make special requests, but we all know how "unfortunate" it'd be if a certain colonel, disliked by a powerful general, was killed due to poor, unarmored transportation. Warfare and politics, hooray .

As for cargo, I think that's definitely the case. Unless it's some super-ultra, fragile, insanely important and vital cargo, like Sanctioned Psykers or... the alcohol.

"Consequence of Mercy" - Written for KingOfCheese

Last edited by Davidicus 40k; 11-08-10 at 10:40 PM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-10-10, 12:52 PM

gothik's Flag is: United Kingdom

not sure but does this mean if you wave at the driver does he have to wave back???
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-10-10, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Yep! They all have to wear a uniform + tie at all times, and every truck has a girls name on the front. I used to hate driving on the M6 but the Stobart trucks always made me smile.

GFP
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-10-10, 11:26 PM

gothik's Flag is: United Kingdom

ok so can imagine that happening in 40k liable to get the middle finger lol

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode