increasing chapter size to 2000 - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-07-10, 08:15 PM

Baron Spikey's Flag is: United Kingdom

60% is correct- the Legion lost just over 90% of it's Astartes in the Heresy and Scouring (mainly the scouring), so they've gone from 24,000 to 600,000 rather than 250,000 to 600,000.

Obviously most of those Chapters who use Guilliman's geneseed don't get it from the Ultramarines, but more usually from one of the Primogenitors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-07-10, 08:26 PM
Bane of Empires

Child-of-the-Emperor's Flag is: United Kingdom

Ah yes of course. Due to the number of second founding Chapters founded following the Scouring, we can deter that they lost 90% of their Legion numbers during the Scouring. Even more of an achievement then considering now 60% of all Astartes bear Guilliman's geneseed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cegorach View Post
I do love how we don't even need CotE to comment anymore, chances are he has already said something intelligent before that can be re-applied to the current situation.
Heresy's Background FAQ. (Fluff Project)
CotE Reviews: Prospero Burns (HH Review), Age of Darkness (HH Review).
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-07-10, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
piemelke's Flag is: Belgium

thanks for the anwers,
you mention that the UM are responsible for 60 % of the gene seed that does not mean that 60 % of the marines comes from the same recruitement pool as the original recruitement pool of the ultramarines,
how do you account for the space wolves numbers there were 100 K recruiting from Fenris (that is a question, not something I think I read)?
as for the splitting, there is no reason to split the chapters that would not help, the intention would be to allow them to grow and in say 1000 years the chapter size should be at 2000.
the crimson fists for example, they are rapidly increasing their number,

and again 2M might just tip the balance,

but I do not want to make this into a yes-no discussion, I accept your arguments and acknowledge that there will never be an intention towards 2 K marines/chapter,
too bad

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-07-10, 08:48 PM

normtheunsavoury's Flag is: England

The high numbers of Space Wolves during the Great Crusade is probably due to many of them being Terran born, like all of the Legions to begin with. The rest of the Legions numbers would have been made up when their respective Primarchs were found.
All of the first Space Marines were Terran, maybe when the Emperor 'died' the secrets to making non Fenris born aspirants into SM's was lost so now they are all recruited from Fenris.

Also, to grow a chapter by a thousand over a thousand years would require the Chapter being fairly inactive during that time, one hell of a loss for whatever area of the galaxy they are responsible for.

Quote:
Also, Ewoks eat people.
Never forget that.
Ewoks. Eat. People.
Galahad.

Black Serpent Sun

FILE 18

Last edited by normtheunsavoury; 11-07-10 at 08:51 PM.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-07-10, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
piemelke's Flag is: Belgium

so you are saying that one planet=terra, could recruit > 10(0) K marines, well that would solve the problem.
I agree on the second point
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-07-10, 09:19 PM

normtheunsavoury's Flag is: England

When the Emperor was first creating the Primarchs and Space Marines Terra was at war, the whole planet was fighting against the big E's attempts at unifying the world. Much of Terra's population was waring tribes, ideal for Space Marine recruitment.
Terra today is a huge shrine to bureaucracy and the Emperor. The population is huge but probably not the sort of stock that is any good for creating Space Marines.

Quote:
Also, Ewoks eat people.
Never forget that.
Ewoks. Eat. People.
Galahad.

Black Serpent Sun

FILE 18
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-07-10, 09:57 PM
Bane of Empires

Child-of-the-Emperor's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by piemelke View Post
how do you account for the space wolves numbers there were 100 K recruiting from Fenris (that is a question, not something I think I read)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by normtheunsavoury View Post
The high numbers of Space Wolves during the Great Crusade is probably due to many of them being Terran born, like all of the Legions to begin with. The rest of the Legions numbers would have been made up when their respective Primarchs were found.
All of the first Space Marines were Terran, maybe when the Emperor 'died' the secrets to making non Fenris born aspirants into SM's was lost so now they are all recruited from Fenris.
That, and the fact that the Space Wolves no doubt took massive casualties during the Burning of Prospero, the Age of Darkness (including the Alpha Legion ambush) and the subsequent Scouring. Then with Russ (and the Emperor) gone the method of recruiting Astartes became more troublesome and difficult, so numbers would not have been replenished as quickly as they were during the Great Crusade. You could also cite the further degeneration of the Space Wolves' geneseed as another troublesome factor.

Now add the fact that the Space Wolves have been fighting constant wars for the last 10,000 years and it seems justified that they cannot easily replenish their numbers let alone increase them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cegorach View Post
I do love how we don't even need CotE to comment anymore, chances are he has already said something intelligent before that can be re-applied to the current situation.
Heresy's Background FAQ. (Fluff Project)
CotE Reviews: Prospero Burns (HH Review), Age of Darkness (HH Review).
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-07-10, 10:20 PM
SnoopyChicken's Flag is: England

I seem to remember seeing somewhere that the SW already have way over 1000 marines, I cant find a sauce for it so may have dreamt it up. Anyone else remember this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperious Rex View Post
Don't get me wrong brother. If there's one race that I wouldn't want to be captured by it's the DE. I'd rather set off a melta bomb in my pants than be taken alive by the dark eldar.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-07-10, 10:51 PM

Eremite's Flag is: United Kingdom

It's true, Snoopy. Not sure about 'way above', but they're usually above the thousand mark. This is somewhat mitigated by their total lack of successors, of course.

Again, I think the Imperium would prefer to just make a lot of new Chapters rather than bolster existing ones and rewrite the sacred Codex Astartes (though were all the required powered armour comes from is anybody's guess...)
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-07-10, 11:01 PM

They have 12 great companies. Early games such as space marine had a space wolf great company as slightly larger than a hundred marines, so you can see they are 20-25% larger. However I havent read the new codex and this may have changed in the last 20 or so years

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode