Gene seeds - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-07-10, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

warsmith7752's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Gene seeds

Hey all, my question is what exactly are gene seeds? I know the blood angels one is sanguinis blood but what are the rest? Are they all liquids? What happens if you mix them?

current win rates;
csm 3/1/1
daemons 1/0/0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-07-10, 10:28 AM

the geneseeds are implanted in a space marine it stores the information of all the other glands implanted in the astartes if they loose this they loose a chance for another space marine.

My Deceiver is a shard of the true thing and yet has killed
Draigo
Lysander and countless marines
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-07-10, 11:17 AM
ChaosRedCorsairLord's Flag is: Australia

I'm not really a 40k fluff buff, but my understanding is that they're organic implants that give the space marines there superhuman characteristics. There's 15-25 (not sure on exact number) different gene-seeds that are implanted into a marine during his 'development'.

One of the gene-seeds produces material that can be used to grow new implants.

When I was a young boy, I dreamed of being a baseball...

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-07-10, 11:43 AM

When the Emperor Created the Primarchs, he Implanted them all with certain of his own Charateristics. So a "part" of the Emperor was given to each of the Primarchs, with the exception of Horus, who was made to be the Emperors succsessor.

The First space marines was made on Terra, tens upon tens of thousand. As far as I know, they had no real gene seed. But as they found the Lost Children of the Emperor, they each got 10.000 marines, and they were implanted with Gene-seed of their new primarch. So inheriting their Primarchs traits. Such as Angron's Fury, Fulgrims Craving for Perfection, The Stern Will of the Death Guard.

But the Gene-seed is more. A gene-seed also contains the experiences of previous marines. So a good first captain have a strong Gene-seed and one would be lucky to inherit it. While most gene-seeds are of Line warriors still. At least that is how I picked it up from the science talk in the HH series.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-07-10, 01:08 PM
Bane of Empires

Child-of-the-Emperor's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pzycho Leech View Post
When the Emperor Created the Primarchs, he Implanted them all with certain of his own Charateristics. So a "part" of the Emperor was given to each of the Primarchs, with the exception of Horus, who was made to be the Emperors succsessor.
Firslty, it's not necessarily true that each Primarch bore a single part of the Emperor. And if it is, Horus bore his ambition as a trait - as noted in the Heresy series several times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pzycho Leech View Post
The First space marines was made on Terra, tens upon tens of thousand. As far as I know, they had no real gene seed. But as they found the Lost Children of the Emperor, they each got 10.000 marines, and they were implanted with Gene-seed of their new primarch. So inheriting their Primarchs traits. Such as Angron's Fury, Fulgrims Craving for Perfection, The Stern Will of the Death Guard.
Actually the Astartes Legions were forged initially with the genetic template of their Primarchs (after the Scattering), so even before their Primarchs (re)discovery they still bore their Primarchs' geneseed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cegorach View Post
I do love how we don't even need CotE to comment anymore, chances are he has already said something intelligent before that can be re-applied to the current situation.
Heresy's Background FAQ. (Fluff Project)
CotE Reviews: Prospero Burns (HH Review), Age of Darkness (HH Review).
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-07-10, 02:56 PM

Yes, Yes. It's true. Good corrections. haha
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-07-10, 03:12 PM

cragnes417's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosRedCorsairLord View Post
I'm not really a 40k fluff buff, but my understanding is that they're organic implants that give the space marines there superhuman characteristics. There's 15-25 (not sure on exact number) different gene-seeds that are implanted into a marine during his 'development'.

One of the gene-seeds produces material that can be used to grow new implants.
I think its actually 19 gene seed implants. but anyway whats the age limited for a person becoming a space marine? (besides info from lexi)
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-07-10, 03:20 PM
SnoopyChicken's Flag is: England

how do they turn what they harvest from dead marines into 19 seperate organs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperious Rex View Post
Don't get me wrong brother. If there's one race that I wouldn't want to be captured by it's the DE. I'd rather set off a melta bomb in my pants than be taken alive by the dark eldar.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-07-10, 03:26 PM

I think that the Gene Seed is the Primer that allows the other SM Implants to be accepted by the host.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-07-10, 03:28 PM

Davidicus 40k's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopyChicken View Post
how do they turn what they harvest from dead marines into 19 seperate organs?
They don't. As I understand it, the gene-seed is only one organ, planted in the neck, that directs the other 18 (I think it's more than 20, though) superhuman organs planted throughout the body - like the third lung, second heart, the glands that inject pain-killers into a Marine's bloodstream, etc. Think of the gene-seed as a less complex brain; you only have one brain, but it controls and regulates your body. Unlike the brain, however, the gene-seed doesn't "die" (at least, not immediately) when the Marine does. That's why it's so precious, and its recovery is paramount. With it, the Chapter can create new initiates.

"What if you mix them?"... that's a good question. Gene-seeds can be corrupted or mutated, so to attempt to mix two or more would most likely result in fudged up Marines.

"Consequence of Mercy" - Written for KingOfCheese

Last edited by Davidicus 40k; 11-07-10 at 03:31 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode