Primarch look alikes - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-05-10, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

zerachiel76's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Primarch look alikes

After reading the First Heretic I had one of those "why didn't I realise that before, doh" moments.

When Night Haunter saves Lorgars pathetic ass (I've always hated him and the Word Bearers and TFH just reinforced how pathetic they were) when Corax was about to kill him and Night Haunter stops him it becomes obvious how alike Corax and Night Haunter were and how similar in abilities they were too.

Both with white skin, black hair and black eyes.

They both like striking from the darkness and taught their Legions the value of swift moving strikes against unsuspecting enemies. To me Night Haunter seems like a psychotic chaos tainted version of Corax who was prepared to go far further than Corax ever would.

I got to wondering if there were any other Primarchs who looked/behaved similarly (other than Alpharius/Omegon)

To me the other possible candidates are Jaghati Khan and Leman Russ and Rogal Dorn and Horus.

Anyone else think of any more or am I just talking rubbish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawa View Post
"No, I don't care if it's 'fun', you are not attempting to shove your USB stick in my Scart socket....."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
"It won't fit" "That's what they always say first time"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-10, 04:25 AM

All the primacrhs were descibed as having a degree of similarity in their features, most likely passed on from the Emperor. I haven't read The First Heretic yet so as for the Night Haunter/Corax resemblance there's pretty much nothing I can add there..

The human appendix. Proof of a higher power. A divine kill switch so to speak.

No one really likes a smartass, but people tend to like a dumbass even less.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-10, 04:51 AM
Jeep's and Harley's

OIIIIIIO's Flag is: USA

Not sure about the Primarch look-a-likes but I will say this much. The one space marine on the front cover of the book Horus rising looks a whole lot like Ozzy Osborne to me.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-10, 11:17 AM

Unknown Primarch's Flag is: United Kingdom

i agree with what the OP is saying and it kinda fits in with my theory that the deal that chaos and the emperor could have made was that they have a equal amount of primarchs and they would have a galaxy spanning war for the ownership of the galaxy.
its only a theory so dont get too excited but its quite possible that the primarchs and their legions fits into certain characteristics that the emperor wanted for his forces and the same goes for chaos undivided.

id say for instance:

guilleman represents the order and stoicism that emperor needed to run a galaxy spanning empire compared to the utter religious fanatism that lorgar represents that helps feed chaos its power.

russ id say represents that indestructable smashing forces that would be needed to conquer the galaxy similar to angrons berserker rage that chaos would use in a similar way.

dorn and perturabo represent the needs of fortification which both forces would need to be able to hold any world that is conquered.

corax is covert ops which would be needed for any infiltration of a chaos held world and curze is that need for terror tactics as a form of covert ops but chaos style.

ferrus mannus represents the perfection of technology on the flesh compared to fulgrim perfection of the flesh on its own. while man has a need to have tech to help them chaos has the raw power to effect the flesh and put that to use for its own ends.

sanguinius for me represents everything the emperor is and believes with horus after being turned being the exact polar opposite to that thinking. the inspiration and hope that sanguinius brings to all mankind is comparable to the absolute finality of the onslaught of chaos.

the lion and alpharius/omegon are hard to pinpoint as such but their similarities of secrecy and deceit make them the same in their own way.

vulkan represents the forge which weapons can be produced and magnus is the master of the warp as a weapon.

as the last two left its hard to find a decent reasoning so ill leave the khan and mortarion to you.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-10, 11:23 AM
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

The Lion and Alpharius/Omegon are entirely different. The Lion may be secretive but he's got nothing on the Alpha Legion. The Lion still fought by 'normal' sort of warfare, tactical brilliance yes and all that comes with it. But Alpharius and Omegon took secretive to a whole new level, infiltrating organisations all over the place before striking, using agents in the Imperium and from other forces, could go on.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-10, 11:29 AM

Unknown Primarch's Flag is: United Kingdom

i would agree that they go way beyond the lion for secrecy but what im getting it is their comparable nature in the context of order vs. chaos. some of the primarch are near enough similar while some are only comparable if you look into it abit more.
obviously you gotta use abit of imagination when dealing with the thinking of chaos due to its nature but when you do there is obvious contrasts to look at.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-10, 01:04 AM

gothik's Flag is: United Kingdom

perturabo represents the sheer power of siege craft, inowing insitincitivly how long to make a siege last and knowing when the right time was to move in for the kill and Dorn is the ultimate fortress builder, knowing the weak spots and how to strengthen them and at what points it is weakest.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-09-10, 01:09 AM

Androxine Vortex's Flag is: USA

Leman Russ looks like Johan Hegg from the Viking Death Metal band Amon Amarth.

And Mortarion looks like death lol

+MAY THE DARK GODS BLESS YOU WITH MANY TENTACLES+
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-09-10, 09:20 PM

I think that there may be some genetic similarities between the primarchs due to the reason they were created by the same sources. It just makes a bit of sense for there to be some similarities. But other than that, they represent their unique traits without peer. Basically resulting in more differences than similarities.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-10-10, 03:30 AM
Deathwing Commissar

Phoebus's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Primarch View Post
i would agree that they go way beyond the lion for secrecy but what im getting it is their comparable nature in the context of order vs. chaos. some of the primarch are near enough similar while some are only comparable if you look into it abit more.
obviously you gotta use abit of imagination when dealing with the thinking of chaos due to its nature but when you do there is obvious contrasts to look at.
But they couldn't be any more different, though.

You have to practically read Legion a second time to figure out where you really *saw* Alpharius, and people still debate if it's really the Primarch who fights the leader of the Lucifer Blacks at the end of the story. By contrast, the Lion exhibits tactical and strategic brilliance in "Fallen Angels", but he is hardly covert. His penchant for secrecy is basically reduced to:

"Horus has declared war on the Imperium! Everyone, get me a task force of ships and Marines that can get going fast, and try to be somewhat stealthy about, so as to not advertise the entire thing."

"Hey Nemiel. I'm kind of worried that Horus has his agents all over the Imperium, 'cause I know he's not stupid, and it's not like he wouldn't have his ducks in a row if he decided to start a war. Think we can trust these two cats?" (referring to a Mechanicum Magos and an Imperial world's governor)

I fear the shadow of "Angels of Darkness" looms large, despite that novel's author pointing out that Astellan is not necessarily a trustworthy source...

To use a VERY rough analogy, and using only what's been shown so far, the Lion strikes me as a "Rommel" type of commander--tactically brilliant, fluid, often leads from the front, understands the value of small strike groups and the strategic value of vital targets.

Alpharius and his Legion are like the CIA, covert action group special forces teams, the teams they sponsor on the other side, and the sleeper agents agents they keep in reserve just in case. It's not a different ballpark, like we say in the States... it's a completely different kind of sport/warfare.

Last edited by Phoebus; 11-10-10 at 03:35 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode