Looking for a planet. - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-03-10, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

Waaagh_Bong's Flag is: USA

Default Looking for a planet.

I have found a index of different plants, but im looking for a planet that has a night phase that is longer then its day phase. For the most part this list of planets is nothing more then a short sum up of battles and key points.

I would make a new planet but i like to check for in game fluff 1st.

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc305/Iga_Ninja/40kSig%20bars/sigbar4-1.jpg

Last edited by Waaagh_Bong; 11-03-10 at 11:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-03-10, 11:35 PM
hailene's Flag is: USA

I'm not quite sure how'd that work. Usually a planet spins at a regular rate. This means the same percentage is being hit by the sun at any given point, minus any other objects (moons, incredibly large space stations, nearby planets, ect) blocking its light.

There are some planets that one side is in perpetual darkness (There's one in the Ciaphas novels, the Moridan homeworld, and Nostramo).

And of course during Winter, depending on the rotation of the planet, night can last longer than day (look at Alaska, 22 hours of night and 2 hours of light during the Winter). But on the flip side, days get extremely long during the Summer.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-03-10, 11:57 PM
Unhinged Hobo

GrimzagGorwazza's Flag is: England

Only example i can think of outside of the 40k universe is from the film pitch black where the world had 3 moons that arranged themselves in a solar eclipse for a long period of time. If the moon is further away from the planet and actually bigger then said planet (a less dense moon made of gas for example would still be subject to the pull of it's parent planet if the planet had a greater mass with say a liquid iron or heavy metal core) then you cna make the moon block the sun for large periods of time.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-04-10, 12:52 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input guys.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-04-10, 01:36 AM
Jeep's and Harley's

OIIIIIIO's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by hailene View Post
I'm not quite sure how'd that work. Usually a planet spins at a regular rate. This means the same percentage is being hit by the sun at any given point, minus any other objects (moons, incredibly large space stations, nearby planets, ect) blocking its light.

There are some planets that one side is in perpetual darkness (There's one in the Ciaphas novels, the Moridan homeworld, and Nostramo).

And of course during Winter, depending on the rotation of the planet, night can last longer than day (look at Alaska, 22 hours of night and 2 hours of light during the Winter). But on the flip side, days get extremely long during the Summer.
Yeah ... I can attest to that, had a 4 week TDY up in Anchorage and we went to the bar after we got done working got sloshed drunk and came out at 2 in the morning and it was still friggin sunshine ... fucked me all kinds of up.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-05-10, 03:23 PM
SnoopyChicken's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimzagGorwazza View Post
Only example i can think of outside of the 40k universe is from the film pitch black where the world had 3 moons that arranged themselves in a solar eclipse for a long period of time. If the moon is further away from the planet and actually bigger then said planet (a less dense moon made of gas for example would still be subject to the pull of it's parent planet if the planet had a greater mass with say a liquid iron or heavy metal core) then you cna make the moon block the sun for large periods of time.
OK Ive found a planet like this, eisenhorn p.274
"To appraise you, Lethe Eleven is a densely populated world at the leading edge of the helican sub-sector, its chief industries being metalwork and shield technologies. At the end of every Umbris*, Lethes largest moon matches, by some cosmological coincedence, the path, orbit and comparitive size of the local star, and the world is plunged into eclipse for a two week period known as the Darkknight
The effect is quite striking. For the space of fourteen days, the sky goes a cold dark red, the hue of dried blood and the moon, Kux, dominates the heavens, a peerlessly black orb surrounded by a crackling corona of writhing amber flame."
*a month of the year

Its also a holiday for the planet, anyway hope thats some help (you could always use it to inspire your own planet with a longer eclipse)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperious Rex View Post
Don't get me wrong brother. If there's one race that I wouldn't want to be captured by it's the DE. I'd rather set off a melta bomb in my pants than be taken alive by the dark eldar.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-05-10, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopyChicken View Post
OK Ive found a planet like this, eisenhorn p.274
"To appraise you, Lethe Eleven is a densely populated world at the leading edge of the helican sub-sector, its chief industries being metalwork and shield technologies. At the end of every Umbris*, Lethes largest moon matches, by some cosmological coincedence, the path, orbit and comparitive size of the local star, and the world is plunged into eclipse for a two week period known as the Darkknight
The effect is quite striking. For the space of fourteen days, the sky goes a cold dark red, the hue of dried blood and the moon, Kux, dominates the heavens, a peerlessly black orb surrounded by a crackling corona of writhing amber flame."
*a month of the year

Its also a holiday for the planet, anyway hope thats some help (you could always use it to inspire your own planet with a longer eclipse)
Thank you! just what i was looking for!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode