The Imperium Makes a Chapter - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-02-10, 05:08 AM Thread Starter
Craw-Daddy

Default The Imperium Makes a Chapter

Now I have always been interested in how the Master of the Adeptus Mechanicus and the High Lords of Terra decide when they want to make a chapter. Most importantly though, I wonder how they create the fundamental parts of the Chapter like Chapter Masters and Captains. Do they ask for competent volunteers from other chapters? Anyway I'm curious to any known fluff or thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-02-10, 05:22 AM

X FiftY 1ne's Flag is: USA

Maybe they form the Chapter from all the hero's of past, during the Heresy...o0o0o

On a more serious note, I think they would ask a "few" notable warriors from other Chapters. But, the majority of the Chapter would be all new recruits I'm guessing.

Truth is Treason in an Empire of lies.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-02-10, 05:52 AM
Feed

A suitable leader is chosen from an existing chapter, as well as senior staff and such.

Some of the new chapter`s members may be derived from that chapter as well, or others, but typically a new chapter will be entirely from one genestock.

Nonsense is our Salvation

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-02-10, 06:11 AM

Ah now theres some much needed vital fluff details.

Now I am not completely certain so I will have to find my old Index Astartes books and look it up again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckcrawford View Post
Now I have always been interested in how the Master of the Adeptus Mechanicus and the High Lords of Terra decide when they want to make a chapter.
Well it takes decades maybe longer and lots and lots of resources to build a chapter so the Imperium probably tries to get a head start on creating more of them before one gets destroyed, goes missing, suffers a genetic breakdown, turns renegade or suffers such horrendous losses that the chapter itself can not recover or is unable to protect the entirety of their domain. Don't forget that the Imperium doesn't have the best records either so who knows how many chapters have been forgotten about, left for dead or built in secret.

Basically I'm assuming that the Imperium is always building a new chapter for future wars and to maintain if not increase their power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckcrawford View Post
Most importantly though, I wonder how they create the fundamental parts of the Chapter like Chapter Masters and Captains. Do they ask for competent volunteers from other chapters? Anyway I'm curious to any known fluff or thoughts.
It was my understanding that a contingent of space marines from the new found chapters parent chapter are appointed as the new chapters first command structure and that typically some honorable captain becomes the first chapter master and that's because you are trying not to mix up the geneseed stock.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-02-10, 06:59 AM

Usually an established Chapter that shares the same geneseed is chosen to provide the newly-raised Chapter with its command structure; this includes the CM, CL, Rec and also a number of Veterans to act as trainers and Company Captains as the new Chapter's numbers grow.
Eventually, the new Chapter is big enough to start operating alongside other forces, who will take the lead in combat ops. From what I infer, it will be during this phase that the Astartes who will become the first CM and other leaders of the new Chapter will show themselves through bravery and tactical/strategic brilliance. At some point, it will be determined that the new ones will have reached a stable size and can govern and perform combat and campaigns themselves, at which point the old ones go back to their parent Chapter. I believe that this comes from one of the IA books, possibly number 1.

GFP

Last edited by Commissar Ploss; 11-02-10 at 07:35 AM.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-02-10, 08:46 AM

eyeball7392's Flag is: United Kingdom

arent ther chapters though that exist but dont use the same geneseed as the original legions though?

give me a hundred space marines or failing that a thousand other troops - rogal dorn
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-02-10, 08:55 AM
Feed

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball7392 View Post
arent ther chapters though that exist but dont use the same geneseed as the original legions though?
Officially, no. Every chapter can derive its geneseed from one of the loyalist legions.

Unofficially, there may be a couple of chapters who bear the seed of a heretic...

But that is all speculation and conjecture.

Nonsense is our Salvation

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-02-10, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball7392 View Post
Well there are chapters whose primogenitor is the same Primarch as others; but due to corruption, genetic failure or some other explanation their geneseed is not exactly the same as their fellow chapters. So its the same geneseed; but not a perfect identical match.

If a chapter doesn't tell you their geneseed in their fluff then that is just part of the mystery where the chapter has lost its records or are just being secretive.

Otherwise what Serpion5 said
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-03-10, 05:55 PM

Hellados's Flag is: United Kingdom

i read somewhere that it takes 20 years to make and train the whole chapter including fleets etc, who does the training im not sure but alot of it is down to genetic and sugestive encoding, again im thinking a better example of how scouts are trained in the books
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-03-10, 06:11 PM

Baron Spikey's Flag is: United Kingdom

We all know that Space Marine Chapters are oath bound to provide a 5% tithe of their geneseed to the Adepts on Mars, so there's huge geneseed storage facilities on Mars.

When the High Lords of Terra decide to initiate a Founding Chapters will be approached regarding their aid in creating a new Chapter- utilising their geneseed tithe and providing officers for the new Astartes force.
This geneseed will be implanted in hundreds of vat grown humans in order for a viable number of implants to be harvested.

During all this time a basic Astartes fleet, usually comprising of a couple of Battle Barges, a half dozen or so Strike Cruisers and other support craft will be built or requisitioned.

Once the Chapter has grown to a size large enough that it has become self-sustaining, at this point a large number of the Astartes will be Terran born, they are given the directive their Founding was created to fulfil and be sent on their way.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode