Primarchs hair colour, Magnus lost eye and other contradictions. - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-01-10, 10:41 PM
Grand Lord Munchkin

gen.ahab's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Spikey View Post
Russ tries to be seen as a savage, as has been pointed out before, anything cosmetic that could enhance that would be seized on and utilised.
I don't know about you, but I have never seen a dude and thought "Oh, his hair looks scary."

Quote:
reasoning for the Lion, he was ultimately a pragmatist, if he saw advantage in it then he'd do it.
The Lion read people like I read a neurophysics text; he doesn't really read people well. I doubt he would see any advantage in it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-01-10, 10:54 PM

Baron Spikey's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen.ahab View Post
I don't know about you, but I have never seen a dude and thought "Oh, his hair looks scary."
But he might have purposely treated his hair in order to cultivate the savage barbarian look we know of.

Quote:
The Lion read people like I read a neurophysics text; he doesn't really read people well. I doubt he would see any advantage in it.
He might not have been able to read individuals but cultures were likely another story, he wouldn't have been one of the greatest generals amongst the Primarchs if he allowed such important information to remain outside his grasp.
post #23 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-01-10, 10:57 PM
Grand Lord Munchkin

Quote:
But he might have purposely treated his hair in order to cultivate the savage barbarian look we know of.
I doubt it, the style the hair is worn has a greater effect on that than the color. I really don't see him dying his hair.

Quote:
might not have been able to read individuals but cultures were likely another story, he wouldn't have been one of the greatest generals amongst the Primarchs if he allowed such important information to remain outside his grasp.
True, but I doubt hair color would effect much.

post #24 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-01-10, 11:06 PM

Baron Spikey's Flag is: United Kingdom

Well someone has already pointed out that Sanguinus having blonde hair would make him seem more angelic, I bet there are all sorts of psychological studies regarding people's perceptions of hair colour.

And that would obviously alter with each culture so maybe the hue of the Primarch's hair would be altered to best take advantage of which ever psychological effect he was intending to inspire.

Last edited by Baron Spikey; 11-01-10 at 11:16 PM.
post #25 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-01-10, 11:13 PM
Grand Lord Munchkin

According to them. I really don't see any reason an angel wouldn't have dark hair since the archangel Michael had curly brown hair. Of course, that is just my perception and does not reflect the typical outlook on the subject and is ultimately useless, but whatever.

Last edited by gen.ahab; 11-01-10 at 11:19 PM.
post #26 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-01-10, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

Really? I think the image of Sanguinius with golden/blonde hair, fits the angelic, good and general loyalist image much better than black hair. The vast majority of 'good' angels in fiction are depicted with blonde or fair hair
post #27 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-01-10, 11:43 PM
Grand Lord Munchkin

I have just never associated moral purity with hair color, but, again, thats just me.
post #28 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-02-10, 07:15 AM

I can't see a group of people as intelligent as the Primarchs not being ready to take advantage of physical appearance. Just look at today's 'stars'; how many of them have plastic surgery from an early age, change fashions like we breathe and basically use their look (and looks) as a tool to get ahead? All of them, some are just more subtle about it than others.
Why would people do this and go through so much hassle if it didn't bring an advantage? How someone looks goes a long way to making those who see them think in a certain way, even before we hear them speak or see them act. Someone who looks 'beautiful' will be given a hell of a lot more leeway than someone who is 'ugly'. So Sanguinius will be allowed to act more freely, but Russ, with his barbarian look, will be allowed to act more barbarian-y before anyone says anything or expects any different.
Looks are a huge part of psychology and the Primarchs are clever enough to use this to their advantage.

GFP
post #29 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-02-10, 07:23 AM
Grand Lord Munchkin

I can't see the primarchs requiring it. They were created to by the quintessence of their particular aspect. Russ was unrelenting fury, Angron was rage incarnate, Sang was all that was good in the emperor; it seems to me that they were created to be snap shots of the emperors different aspects and, as such, would have already been made as they needed to be. Also, I don't see any particular advantage in the color of ones hair. It means nothing, it is like the old blonde jokes; if a girl is blonde she isn't dumb simply because her hair is that color. It means nothing.
post #30 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-02-10, 09:58 AM

Bloody Mary's Flag is: Poland

Quote:
I can't see the primarchs requiring it. They were created to by the quintessence of their particular aspect. Russ was unrelenting fury, Angron was rage incarnate, Sang was all that was good in the emperor; it seems to me that they were created to be snap shots of the emperors different aspects and, as such, would have already been made as they needed to be. Also, I don't see any particular advantage in the color of ones hair. It means nothing, it is like the old blonde jokes; if a girl is blonde she isn't dumb simply because her hair is that color. It means nothing.
Let me give you an example: in Medieval Germany prostitutes were required to die their hair red. That did not mean that a redhead was a prostitute, but most natural redheads probably did die or hide their hair, nevertheless.

Essentially, a hair colour, just like clothes, face paint, etc. might denote something in a different culture. Dying one's hair might be a sign of grief, of a particular profession, social status, etc. If a particular hair colour has a strong meaning in a given culture, do you really think a Primarch like Lion would not die his hair, if only to simply avoid misunderstandings?

As for Russ: he might have died his hair to avoid association with Magnus (if he was a natural redhead) or Lion (if he was a natural blonde).

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode