Horus Versus Corax - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

View Poll Results: Who will be more victorious?
Horus 11 50.00%
Corax 6 27.27%
Draw 5 22.73%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-31-10, 02:09 AM
Bane of Empires

Child-of-the-Emperor's Flag is: United Kingdom

1. Luna Wolves.
2. Luna Wolves.
3. Luna Wolves.
4. Horus Lupercal.

Just to clarify, Corax does indeed note (in Raven's Flight) that in his opinion Horus, Sanguinius and Angron are three Primarchs that could best him in combat (that of course doesn't mean they are the only ones that could best him, merely they are the ones that he mentions).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cegorach View Post
I do love how we don't even need CotE to comment anymore, chances are he has already said something intelligent before that can be re-applied to the current situation.
Heresy's Background FAQ. (Fluff Project)
CotE Reviews: Prospero Burns (HH Review), Age of Darkness (HH Review).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-31-10, 03:42 AM

The First Heretic shed's some light on Corax's fighting ability, if indirectly. Without spoiling anything, it appears his ability is very highly thought of by the Word Bearers, but perhaps not so much by Curze
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-31-10, 04:07 AM Thread Starter
Lux

Ahab you sure it was Russ, Sang, and Angron? I recall sang, and Russ, but I'm pretty sure the third Horus mentioned was not Angron. Particularly because when I read it was taken back for a moment that angron wasn't one of the three mentioned.

As for Ravens flight audio book, Corax states that he is a lord of war, but angron is war incarnate. Additionally he muses to himself that if he were to fight Angron in that setting he would be killed in all likelihood, and that he believes only Horus would be able to best him in combat, and perhaps Sang.

But you have to keep in mind, each of the primarchs had their own opinion on who the top fighters were, such as Horus viewing Russ, Sang, and (pretty sure it was not angron mentioned) corax.

However lets say Corax is superior to Horus in combat, this does not mean that Angron is not superior to Corax, it could simply be that Corax is better suited in taking down Horus's fighting style and strengths. And even though Horus is more likely to lose versus corax, he could be more likely to win versus angron, due to match up of tactics, strengths and weaknesses.

Last edited by Lux; 10-31-10 at 04:12 AM.

post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-31-10, 04:11 AM
Grand Lord Munchkin

gen.ahab's Flag is: USA

From what I remember it was Angron, but I am probably wrong.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-31-10, 04:34 AM Thread Starter
Lux

I was reading a bit of Kurze recently, particularily when he fought the veteran guard of the templars, I never prior realized how psychically gifted Kurze was. He spread his arms outward and caused a psychic force pulse that caused explosions along all the light fixtures ahead. Additionally it seems to me that Kurze's uncanny ability to literally bend light and darkness where he desires, is more then just skillful moving. There is a scene that describes the beams of light go directly at kurze, and he effortlessly ghosts between them. That and his ability to cause the deepest level of fear in astartes, and primarchs.
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-31-10, 04:45 AM

Warlock in Training's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Child-of-the-Emperor View Post
1. Luna Wolves.
2. Luna Wolves.
3. Luna Wolves.
4. Horus Lupercal.

Just to clarify, Corax does indeed note (in Raven's Flight) that in his opinion Horus, Sanguinius and Angron are three Primarchs that could best him in combat (that of course doesn't mean they are the only ones that could best him, merely they are the ones that he mentions).

Ditto. I like to know where Kruz stands on the Primarch Fight LvL.
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-31-10, 04:57 AM Thread Starter
Lux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlock in Training View Post
Ditto. I like to know where Kruz stands on the Primarch Fight LvL.
There are two examples I can reference, one is the old dwarf article, where Horus is musing about the three primarchs who bested him in combat. However he goes on to add that Konrad Kurze is the only primarch who is a unknown to him, as he is the only primarch he never trained as kurze trained himself. Additionally he is the only primarch he never fought in combat, so as stated he is an unknown.

There is also Dorn's ranking of the best fighters in the tower book, of which Dorn specifically mentions Horus, and Kurze. Dorn states that he is superior to Horus and doesn't fear him, however the only primarch he fears in combat is Kurze.

Thus once again it brings to light how each primarch has their own differing perception of who is the best fighter.

Horus's View
1. Russ
2. Sang
3. Corax
4. Himself
*specifically mentions konrad is an unknown to him

Dorn's View
1. Kurze
2. Himself
3. Horus

Corax's View
1. Angron
2. Horus
3. Sang
4. Himself
* He views that horus is the only one he believes capable of putting down Angron, however horus mentions Corax is one of the three superior to himself in combat. So it raises the question, perhaps Corax doubted his ability to kill angron due to previous wounds, or mentality at the time rather then skill or power.
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-31-10, 10:19 AM
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

Aye just listening to Ravens Flight, Coraz says that not another primarch could beat Angron in comabt excpet maybe Sanguinius or Horus
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-31-10, 10:50 AM

Words_of_Truth's Flag is: United Kingdom

Corax has always been one of those unknowns, I'm glad it's finally come to light that he is a gifted fighter. I voted for a Draw I think their opposing styles would cause a dead lock.

Night Haunter is probably the most dangerous of al primarchs imo. His psychic presence gives him a massive bonus but he's also a mad man and literally ripped Dorn a new one, although Dorn didn't fight back.

The one thing that throws into doubt Horus's prowess is the way Dorn casual disregards him, I believe Dorn does think he is Horus's equal, in fact he was chosen as Horus's successor, the other's may just think to highly of Horus to truly admit they may be better.

The best swordsmen are meant to be The Khan and Fulgrim but neither of them are mentioned much in regards to fighting other Primarchs, Indeed if it wasn't for the Daemon in him, Fulgrim wouldn't of beaten Ferrus whose not really been noted as a master fighter.

Lorgar is of course probably the worse and Magnus has to rely on his psychic far to much to be considered a competent fighter.

Although Angron is a mighty Primarch, I think he just gets to crazy and when it comes to fighting more level headed Primarchs, I think even Corax could beat him despite his personal opinion in Raven's Flight, maybe I don't do Angron justice and think he's to mindless, who knows.

The top fighters imo are like this:

Konrad Curze (Night Haunter)
Dorn
Sanguinius
Horus
Leman Russ
Corax
Angron
Khan
Fulgrim
Alpharius
Mortarion
Guilliman
The Lion
Vulkan
Ferrus
Pertruabo
Magnus
Lorgar
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-31-10, 11:09 AM
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

I don't put too much stock in Dorn, his comment just seems arrogant to me rather than truth. Plus on the note of him being Horus succesor, for one i think he was only put in charge because he was the one Primarch in the position to do so, the others being flung out to all sorts of places in the galaxy. Given the choice i think Sanguinius, The Lion or Guilliman would have been put in charge over Dorn. And even then being given command doesn't show anything for his personal combat potential, just his leadership and command skills. Dorn wouldn't be near the top for me, it's gonna be between Kurze, Horus, Sanguinius, Angron and Russ

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode