Flesh Tearers Chapter - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-29-10, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

Professor Pumpkin's Flag is: England

Default Flesh Tearers Chapter

Hi, I'm not sure if this goes here, but whatever. I'm going to start a Space Marine army, with my chapter being the "Flesh Tearers" (link to the Lexicanium page here), and I was wondering if anyone knows any fluff about them, names of some of their quads etc. Any help will be useful, and some rep for people who can give me a lot of help. Thanks in advance guys.

The Pumpkin Lord

Story I'm Currently Writing:

The Diary of a Guardsman (Continuous Story)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-30-10, 02:18 AM
Unhinged Hobo

GrimzagGorwazza's Flag is: England

If you can find an origional copy of Index astartes 1 then you would have about 4 pages of additional information though some of it has been used to create the summary on Lexicanum.
As far as i can tell the squads use the same name and structure with each marine being expected to train in all aspects wether it be close combat or driving a vehicle. As there are only 4 companies left the veterans which would normally be solly from the first company are split between each of the remaining 4. In effect each company has it's own vetran force.

They still suffer from the black rage but it seems to be stronger then with the BA so you should probabley use the BA codex as a jump off point.

Their home planet was a jungle world still inhabited by what sound from the description like dinosaurs, the flesh tearers went on a planet wide spree hunting down the beasts. It was onl after the primative caveman humans they found there were declared free of taint that the world was settled as their home.

The chaplains and sanguinary priests of the flesh tearers are responsible for looking after those afflicted with the black rage. victims which fall too far into the curse to be used in the death company are locked away in the "tower of the lost" and are kept completely seperate from their brothers. All chapter librarians are currently occupied looking for a cure for the black curse that threatens to destroy the chapter.

The battle cry of the chapter is supposed to be so loud and terrifying that it has a mild psychic effect of inducing fear in opponents.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-30-10, 02:37 AM

Eremite's Flag is: United Kingdom

Yup. The Flesh Tearers really are among the most bloodthirsty and out-of-control Chapters, and are a strong contender for the No.1 slot. The nobilty of the Angels is all but gone and they're pretty much to a man on the verge of becoming frothing berserkers (who think they're Sanguinius). Their gene-seed is horribly flawed - how they get around the purity tests is worthy of consideration -I wouldn't be surprised if they were doing what the Black Dragons are implied to do, taking the gene-seed of other Chapters.

Gabriel Seth, Chapter-Master, is no exception but he's actually a pretty good leader, always trying to keep his Chapter from more public battlefields and eve fighting alongisde other Imperial forces. They really, really cannot restrain themselves, hence their vastly reduced numbers - a dying Chapter, really - they're not the sort to hold off deployment until their number replenish and more of them go irrevocably insane every year.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-30-10, 02:49 AM
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eremite View Post
hence their vastly reduced numbers - a dying Chapter, really -
Last I remember reading, the cause of their low numbers was supposed to be from their geneseed becoming so destabilized that they are able to produce fewer and fewer new recruits. I mean, the bloodthirsty tendencies aside, the Flesh Tearers are a very good look at the fate of all the chapters that share the Blood Angel geneseed.

Unless of course all of that has changed or something.

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-30-10, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all your help guys, +rep for all of you So, should I use the BA Codex or the normal SM codex? Thanks

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-30-10, 11:24 AM

GhostDog's Flag is: New Zealand

Definitely use the BA codex. Gabriel Seth is there for a start and the Death company. 2 major elements for a Flesh Tearers army.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-01-10, 12:01 PM

Quozzo's Flag is: United Kingdom

Red Fury by James Swallow is about the BA and has alot about the Flesh Tearers in it. Its a good read too.

Chapter Library | Chapter Name Creator

Phoenix Angels

Your unique, just like everyone else.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-01-10, 12:16 PM

Baron Spikey's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkreever View Post
Last I remember reading, the cause of their low numbers was supposed to be from their geneseed becoming so destabilized that they are able to produce fewer and fewer new recruits. I mean, the bloodthirsty tendencies aside, the Flesh Tearers are a very good look at the fate of all the chapters that share the Blood Angel geneseed.

Unless of course all of that has changed or something.
It's actually due to the fact that in recent centuries the rate at which Brothers fall to the Black Rage has edged ahead of the rate at which the Flesh Tearers can recruit new Astartes- unless some way to halt this imbalance is discovered the Flesh Tearers will cease to exist within a couple of centuries, regardless of combat losses.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-01-10, 12:24 PM

The section in the BA codex about the Flesh Tearers its pretty good. They become dangerously unstable in battle so Seth keeps them on constant patrol on their Battle Barge. They're often the first responders to situations dealing with things as quickly and efficiently as possible. They're an ultimately doomed chapter but Seth is ensuring they will be revered as Imperium heroes when they fail and not as renegades.

With army building for them you want less tanks, no support troops like Devs, Vindis or Whirlwinds. Either lots of Jump Packers or Fast Rhinos full of psychopaths.

Aramoro
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-02-10, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

A quick question, seeing as I'm a total NOOB to BA, anyone got any ideas on how to start an army?

Last edited by Professor Pumpkin; 11-02-10 at 01:57 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode