Will the HH series change the current view of chaos legions - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-29-10, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

MuSigma's Flag is: England

Will the HH series change the current view of chaos legions

AS the HH series shows us more of the tragedies and choices of the Primarchs and their legions that sadly turned to chaos will these new ideas come through to the 40k era and change our ideas and perceptions of the chaos Primarchs and also make writting about them change with it.

To explain further most CSM books in 40k are pretty much the same in the sense of portraying CSMs as evil madmen with little intelligence like devil possessed zombies in a way. Will they evolve due to the HH series to be more enigmatic, articulate and intelligent, have more depth to their charactors. Less of the frothing at the mouths stuff and more challenging roles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-29-10, 01:46 PM

Well it has been a long time since they went to chaos. So it seems reasonable that they would become frothing madmen. I dunno, I think I would like to see some depth to them but not too much.

Don't give me rep, just poke My Bum ... and then give me rep.
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-29-10, 04:19 PM
Bane of Empires

Child-of-the-Emperor's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuSigma View Post
To explain further most CSM books in 40k are pretty much the same in the sense of portraying CSMs as evil madmen with little intelligence like devil possessed zombies in a way. Will they evolve due to the HH series to be more enigmatic, articulate and intelligent, have more depth to their charactors. Less of the frothing at the mouths stuff and more challenging roles.
I don't think that's the case at all. I don't find that Chaos Astartes are portrayed solely as 'frothing madman' or without depth at all. Just look at the Dark Noun series, Lord of the Night or Soul Hunter for example.

But as for their behaviour, well what do you expect? They've had their morality warped by their dedications, their sanity even. You can't exactly expect them to act like normal Imperial citizens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cegorach View Post
I do love how we don't even need CotE to comment anymore, chances are he has already said something intelligent before that can be re-applied to the current situation.
Heresy's Background FAQ. (Fluff Project)
CotE Reviews: Prospero Burns (HH Review), Age of Darkness (HH Review).

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-29-10, 04:35 PM
Deathwing Commissar

Phoebus's Flag is: USA

Child of the Emperor,

Surely, though, you see the disparity between novels where Chaos Space Marines are protagonists and ones where they are not? The Dark Noun series (good one!), for example, features White Consuls non-protagonists that are given some personality and depth. The reverse, unfortunately, is not often the case. Graham McNeill's been the exception, I think, though he accomplished this by sticking to a recurring cast of villains.

To the OP,

Haven't the Horus Heresy novels accomplished that to some degree already, though? At the very least, no one looks at the Alpha Legion, the Thousand Sons, or the Word Bearers the same anymore. Heck, Magnus and the Thousand Sons come off as pretty much sympathetic as a group--even if one doesn't necessarily want to forgive their colossal hubris.
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-30-10, 08:42 AM
Feed

I understand this completely.

CotE, have you read DoW Tempest? I know it`s a CS Goto book but it does give Ahriman a bit of spotlight. Comparing him between that book and A Thousand Sons you can draw a link between the two versions.

So yes, I think these novels are offering a lot of insight into what made these guys act the way they are.

I mean look at Kharn in After De`Shea and Galaxy in Flames(?). Then read Wrath of Kharn.

There is definitely a change of character and personality. It`s not a clear case of black and white, but there is definitely more depth when we see them as the former loyalists.

As for more recent characters, like Huron and Honsou, well they each have their own backstories, but until they are more extensively covered by more novels, we will have to make do with the picture of them that we have.

(sorry if Honsou reference is out of place, I have not read Storm of Iron so am going by his appearances in the UM series)

Nonsense is our Salvation

post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-30-10, 02:03 PM

BlackGuard's Flag is: USA

I have to admit, prior to reading Fulgrim my picture of him and The Emperor's Children was one of disgust. Not just because of the pink armor or the pansy attitude in general.

Seeing how Fulgrim fell, and seeing that he had in his hand the ability to end the Heresy before it even started (refer to Fulgrim, the part where he silently appears behind Horus' fleet and tells his men to lock targets), but just so happened that his own arrogance and desire for perfection led him to the Laeran Sword prior to the encounter with the Eldar.

Not to mention my view of the Alpha Legion has elevated them to one of my top three legions. Then again, my view of the Dark Angels in turn has dropped with my belief that Jonson planned to betray the Imperium once Horus won.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman78 View Post
The chaos gods abandoned Horus most likely because they saw the can of whoop ass coming their way and wanted out of the way so as not to get fucked up!
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-30-10, 05:34 PM
Deathwing Commissar

Phoebus's Flag is: USA

Wouldn't it be a little hard for the Lion to betray the Imperium after Horus won?

;)
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-30-10, 05:55 PM

TheThousandthSon's Flag is: England

I think its changed views, before I didn't realy care about Space Wolves or Word Bearers and now I cant stand them. Also before I just thought of all Chaos legions as evil but now I kind of feel sorry for the T sons and how they where froced into damnation.

For a better selection of my conversions and painting please check out
http://coolminiornot.com/profile.php...hSon&id=262826
Chears

post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-30-10, 05:59 PM

Unknown Primarch's Flag is: United Kingdom

i think the big decider will be when we get some solid stuff that is centred around the emperor, his plans for the imperium and what he opinions were on all the primarchs before/during the HH.
we tend to think that the chaos legions were bad for turning against the emperor but whos to say he wasnt a complete fool and didnt deserve to be telling the whole of mankind what they should be doing.
now before you start shouting about the evils of chaos surely there is evil in subjugating the whole of humanity under one rule and if you dont comply you get exterminated.
for all we know chaos could actually be telling the truth when it comes to the emperor and he may just be a weak incompetent fool who just couldnt fathom that there is no denying chaos and then we would feel totally different towards the csm. just depends on what frame of mind you wanna look at it i suppose.

Last edited by Unknown Primarch; 10-30-10 at 06:01 PM.
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 10-30-10, 06:34 PM
Craw-Daddy

I would say that the Horus Series really has shown a light on the traitor primarchs. I also think its well deserved as they are the greatest men of mankind. Their downfalls should be tragic to the Imperium in the sense that they lost great generals.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode