Rainbow Warriors - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-25-10, 10:19 PM
Unhinged Hobo

GrimzagGorwazza's Flag is: England

OMG.....THE RAINBOW WARRIORS MUST BE ONE OF THE MISSING 1ST FOUNDING LEGIONS!!!!!

......or not.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-25-10, 10:21 PM

admiraldick's Flag is: United Kingdom

i had always imagined that they were Native American in there theme. that they had a grim but peaceful disposition, not quick to anger (pretty much the opposite of the Blood Angels and the other blood thirsty chapters). i'd always imagined that they were sent in to negotiate treaties and a broker terms of surrender, but at the same time had a strict sense of honour and martial pride so would not shrink back from a fight.

it would make for a cool SM army with some pretty unique wargear like 'peace pipes', 'medicine shields' and 'coup sticks'.

however, its all just in my head, because, as others have pointed out, there is basically no background for the Rainbow Warriors. the picture from Rogue Trader is a little bit confusing because a) SM are being torn limb from limb in nearly every picture, so just because 'Brother Vermilion' is being roasted alive doesn't mean he's meant to be seen as the villain. its perfectly plausible that neither then battle sister nor the marine are 'the bad guy' they are just to ambiguous combatants.
post #23 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-26-10, 12:13 AM
Unhinged Hobo

GrimzagGorwazza's Flag is: England

This thread made me spend some time going through the Chapter list on lexicanum and i've turned up something interesting. There is a chapter on the site which appears to share the chapter mark of the Rainbow warriors and even the colour scheme is very similar (literally only the shoulder trim is different).
Here they are
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Death_Strike

post #24 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-26-10, 12:49 AM
Unforgiven

gally912's Flag is: USA

I always assumed they were made along the lines of the "Rainbow Brigade" of the US army. /showing cultural bias

In the Grim Darkness of the Far Future, there is no Common Sense.
post #25 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-26-10, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

TheThousandthSon's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimzagGorwazza View Post
This thread made me spend some time going through the Chapter list on lexicanum and i've turned up something interesting. There is a chapter on the site which appears to share the chapter mark of the Rainbow warriors and even the colour scheme is very similar (literally only the shoulder trim is different).
Here they are
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Death_Strike
Wow they are remarkably similar, shame they dont have much writen about them either lol

I think admiraldick may be right, back then when rogue trader came out Im not sure there was too much attention payed to whos side your on, not like now when its quite black or white, your Imperial or chaos.

However it seems even without GW fluff most people seem to think of them as Native/Ancient American. Weather its north or south at least we've guessed our way to part of the worlds history for theme of sorts.

For a better selection of my conversions and painting please check out
http://coolminiornot.com/profile.php...hSon&id=262826
Chears

post #26 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-26-10, 08:37 AM

The Rainbow Warriors existed because when GW was writing rogue trader they had the originality of a brick. The Rainbow Warrior was still in the news hence the chapter.

They later realise they were retarded so retconned them out of existence.

Aramoro
post #27 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-26-10, 05:56 PM

admiraldick's Flag is: United Kingdom

i think the Rainbow Warriors neither retarded or in need of scrubbing out. its true that for a while the name really didn't fit into the atmosphere of the game, but i think there is plenty of room for them these days (if only as an alternative to the much disliked Ultramarines).

and i really don't think that the name shows a lack of creativity. the whole 40k universe is comprised of concepts borrowed from here and there, and that's what its all about; the best bits of everything. moreover, 'Rainbow Warriors' sounds pretty creative and unique when you compare it to the way that terms like 'blood' and 'knight' and 'raptor' (amongst other clichés) seem to feature in every other chapter name.

thankfully, for those of us that still like Rainbow Warriors concept, they have not be 'retconned' as you have put it. partly because what you are describing isn't retroactive continuity, its just progression of storyline (retcon is when new storyline creates a different view of previous storyline like saying 'the Rainbow Warriors never existed, they were an artifice created by the Alpha Legion', but what most people seem to believe is that they were wiped out, which doesn't alter the fact that they existed), but mainly because they have no story line. there is nothing that says the Sisters of Battle, wiped them out. that is simply over active imaginations on the part of forumites. not mentioning something is not the same as saying it doesn't exist.

Last edited by admiraldick; 10-26-10 at 06:00 PM.
post #28 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-27-10, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

TheThousandthSon's Flag is: England

Ok then, seeing as nothing offical is written about them how dose the following sound?

Thier founding chapter or at least where thier Gene-seed comes from is the Thousand sons, Both themes build pyramids and are fairly ancient so could tie the armies together. Like how all Blood Angel and thier sucessor chapters are nutters.
This would also tie in the only art-work of them where Sister Sin is fighting Brother Vermillion. Some Sisters found out where thier genetic background hails from and attacked them with the usal "shout heretic first, gun them down and move onto the next" attitude the Inquisition have. This would also explain why thier home world "Prism" has been deleted in Imperial record/SM codex page 30.

All that would have to be done is take Liberians as your Captians much like a Blood Raven army. Maybe have a Flesh change rule or something.

Any one see any issuse fluff or otherwise or have thier own suguestions please let me know.

For a better selection of my conversions and painting please check out
http://coolminiornot.com/profile.php...hSon&id=262826
Chears

post #29 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-27-10, 10:22 PM

gothik's Flag is: United Kingdom

i seem to recall a tale where a SoB fought alongside a SM, he fell to the chaos god Nurgle and she spent the rest of her life hunting him down. could this have been the rainbow warrior, don't remember what leigon he was from but i think the SoBs were involved towards the end, not sure it was a long time ago that i read it
post #30 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-28-10, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiraldick View Post
i think the Rainbow Warriors neither retarded or in need of scrubbing out. its true that for a while the name really didn't fit into the atmosphere of the game, but i think there is plenty of room for them these days (if only as an alternative to the much disliked Ultramarines).

and i really don't think that the name shows a lack of creativity. the whole 40k universe is comprised of concepts borrowed from here and there, and that's what its all about; the best bits of everything. moreover, 'Rainbow Warriors' sounds pretty creative and unique when you compare it to the way that terms like 'blood' and 'knight' and 'raptor' (amongst other clichés) seem to feature in every other chapter name.

thankfully, for those of us that still like Rainbow Warriors concept, they have not be 'retconned' as you have put it. partly because what you are describing isn't retroactive continuity, its just progression of storyline (retcon is when new storyline creates a different view of previous storyline like saying 'the Rainbow Warriors never existed, they were an artifice created by the Alpha Legion', but what most people seem to believe is that they were wiped out, which doesn't alter the fact that they existed), but mainly because they have no story line. there is nothing that says the Sisters of Battle, wiped them out. that is simply over active imaginations on the part of forumites. not mentioning something is not the same as saying it doesn't exist.
They have been retconned as they where originally one of the main chapters and now there is no mention in any GW material suggesting they have ever existed. Rogue Trader is not really a great place to look for fluff as most of that has been rewritten entirely to have never happened.

Aramoro

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode