Today's Heroes - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 85 (permalink) Old 10-10-10, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

AdonisGallus's Flag is: USA

Today's Heroes

I am currently reading Courage and Honor, an Ultramarines Novel based around the events of the Hero Captain Uriel Ventris.

I started thinking about this, and decided I'd like to hear other peoples opinions on the matter.

I was wondering if there were any Heroes within the Imperium who would actually be a match for the various heroes within Chaos.

For example: is there anyone who you can think of that could stand up to say Ezekyle Abaddon in a one on one fight?

Or how about Lucius the Eternal? Are there any Heroes among the Imperial forces who could stand up to this guys?

I've obviously left out plenty of Heroes from both sides, so if you've any to add feel free along with what you think on the matter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 85 (permalink) Old 10-10-10, 07:44 PM

I don't know to be honest. I try not to think about it, but the Ultramarines series is the only series where I've seen complete domination of Chaos forces. Both in Dead Sky, Black Sun and The Chapter's Due. In the Word Bearers trilogy I think you see more of a better looking depiction of what happens to a space marine or even a space marine Chapter Master (who's chapter is devoted against the fight against chaos) when they fuck with a chaos space marine. I am blank with words on the Ultramarines series.

As to your question though, I think the best odds would be Uriel and Calagar.
post #3 of 85 (permalink) Old 10-10-10, 07:47 PM
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

The obvious choices like Calgar, Grimmnar, Rangnar, Dante, Mephiston and the like are all up there for sure.

post #4 of 85 (permalink) Old 10-11-10, 03:22 PM

MuSigma's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdonisGallus View Post
I am currently reading Courage and Honor, an Ultramarines Novel based around the events of the Hero Captain Uriel Ventris.
I was wondering if there were any Heroes within the Imperium who would actually be a match for the various heroes within Chaos.
For example: is there anyone who you can think of that could stand up to say Ezekyle Abaddon in a one on one fight?
I've obviously left out plenty of Heroes from both sides, so if you've any to add feel free along with what you think on the matter.
I think the toughest Space Marine other than a Primarch would either a Chapter Master or the higher ranked Grey Knights in a fight against a leading CSM.
Then I got to thinking about the Soul Drinkers, the rebel Sarpedon had to fight his own Chapter Master and was loosing badly, then a chaos prince gave him a small amount of power that mutated him and he tore his Chapter Master to shreds.
So any Chaos Space Marine of leadership level isnt going to be easy to face one on one, but heroic fights in fiction loves see heroes beat massive odds - usually by finding a weakspot or achilles heel (ie cheating).
I can name a few fights that show how tough the high level chaos heroes are.

The big Grey Knight hero (forget his name) becomes slave on a Khorn death world after being one punched by a Khorne champion.
Eisonhorns entire team are petrified in terror by one single CSM and need bequin to break the spell of being frozen in terror by his presence alone, and only beats him by throwing the necronomicon at him to distract him and deliver the death blow.
Ragnar frequently fight a CSM leader and only survives by the skin of his teeth most of the time.
They are pretty tough.
post #5 of 85 (permalink) Old 10-11-10, 04:07 PM

Wusword77's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuSigma View Post
Then I got to thinking about the Soul Drinkers, the rebel Sarpedon had to fight his own Chapter Master and was loosing badly, then a chaos prince gave him a small amount of power that mutated him and he tore his Chapter Master to shreds.
I havn't read that book but it sounds like it was an unexpeced power increase that lead to a quick kill for Sarpedon. I would guess the CM wasn't taking him seriously and then the next minute the guy's part deamon.
Quote:
So any Chaos Space Marine of leadership level isnt going to be easy to face one on one, but heroic fights in fiction loves see heroes beat massive odds - usually by finding a weakspot or achilles heel (ie cheating).
I can name a few fights that show how tough the high level chaos heroes are.
Hitting a weak point isn't cheating, it's smart. If you're a Tau Firewarrior facing Nids you don't melee them, you shoot them.
Quote:
The big Grey Knight hero (forget his name) becomes slave on a Khorn death world after being one punched by a Khorne champion.
Eisonhorns entire team are petrified in terror by one single CSM and need bequin to break the spell of being frozen in terror by his presence alone, and only beats him by throwing the necronomicon at him to distract him and deliver the death blow.
Ragnar frequently fight a CSM leader and only survives by the skin of his teeth most of the time.
They are pretty tough.
I love story mechanics, they allow the story to go forward. A chaos champ one punching a GK is laughable. A deamon Prince, ok but a regular (thats a funny term to use here) Champion? no way. They would be to similar in power levels.
post #6 of 85 (permalink) Old 10-11-10, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdonisGallus View Post
Though there are some heroes of the astartes (for example Dante, Mephiston, Lysander, Calgar, Tigurius, Grimnar etc.) who could give most of the chaos boys a pretty decent run for their money, I don't believe that there is a loyalist alive who has a snowball's chance in hell against Abaddon in a one on one fight.

By the way, does anyone know how old Logan Grimnar is coz' supposedly he's been chapter master of the SW for over 700 years?

The human appendix. Proof of a higher power. A divine kill switch so to speak.

No one really likes a smartass, but people tend to like a dumbass even less.

Last edited by Chompy Bits; 10-11-10 at 06:24 PM.
post #7 of 85 (permalink) Old 10-11-10, 06:39 PM
The Emperor Protects

I dunno, a Aureullian killed/banished Angron, Dante supposedly killed a bloodthirster(could be a myth though) the Sanguinator defeinetly killed a bloodthirster, a Space Wolf put up a good fight against Magnus, Calgar killed an Avatar. The big Astartes heroes have pulled off some pretty amazing feats, i wouldn't count them all out against Abaddon, i mean come on, who has he really killed of any significance? sure he rallies the chaos troops and makes really good plans........well 13 crusades of fail, but he's never gone out and killed some uber heroe or beast of any kind that i can remember reading. Could be wrong but still, i bet Dante, Mephiston, Calgar, Blackman, Grimmnar could give him a good fight, if not beat him
post #8 of 85 (permalink) Old 10-11-10, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel of Blood View Post
I dunno, a Aureullian killed/banished Angron, Dante supposedly killed a bloodthirster(could be a myth though) the Sanguinator defeinetly killed a bloodthirster, a Space Wolf put up a good fight against Magnus, Calgar killed an Avatar. The big Astartes heroes have pulled off some pretty amazing feats, i wouldn't count them all out against Abaddon, i mean come on, who has he really killed of any significance? sure he rallies the chaos troops and makes really good plans........well 13 crusades of fail, but he's never gone out and killed some uber heroe or beast of any kind that i can remember reading. Could be wrong but still, i bet Dante, Mephiston, Calgar, Blackman, Grimmnar could give him a good fight, if not beat him
So you're saying that they could give Horus's successor a run for his money, the greatest among the Luna Wolves during the Great Crusade and current chosen one of all four chaos gods? I'm sorry but I really don't see that happening. Plus, the Despoiler has an ace in the hole. He's got the uber powerful daemon sword Drach'nyen as well as the Talon of Horus. There aren't many weapons the imperium possess that can match up to those (with the probable exception of things like the Soulspear etc.) Maybe if they ganged up on him they might have a shot but that's about it. Well, that's what my opinion is anyway.

The human appendix. Proof of a higher power. A divine kill switch so to speak.

No one really likes a smartass, but people tend to like a dumbass even less.
post #9 of 85 (permalink) Old 10-11-10, 08:14 PM
The Emperor Protects

Horus he is not though. He became defacto leader of the Sons of Horus as Horus was dead. It's like saying Julius Kaeseron, Typhus, Kharn, Sahaal, Kor Phaereon, Ingo Pech or any of the first captains from the crusade era are essence and like as good as the primarchs themselves. Angron is a deamon primarch! Your saying Abaddon is more powerful than him? or bloodthristers, avatars, numerous deamon princes, and a whole manner of other insanely powerful monsters/individuals. Wielding those weapons does not make him invulnerable, at the end of the day the Talons of Horus are just mega lightning claws. Calgar has the Gauntlets of Ultramar, worn by Guilliman himself and killed an Avatar with them.
post #10 of 85 (permalink) Old 10-11-10, 09:01 PM
Bane of Empires

Child-of-the-Emperor's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
It's like saying Julius Kaeseron, Typhus, Kharn, Sahaal, Kor Phaereon, Ingo Pech or any of the first captains from the crusade era are essence and like as good as the primarchs themselves.
Although like he said, Abaddon now wields one of the most powerful weapons of all time. A blade that can literally rend reality apart. As well as being protected and blessed directly by the Chaos Gods. There are few if any Imperial champions that could stand against Abaddon single-handedly.

Quote:
Angron is a deamon primarch!
And therefore totally reliant on a source of warp energy for enroachments into the material realm, being a major weakness (something Abaddon needs not worry too much about). He faced the some of the galaxy's greatest anti-Chaos weapons, those trained and prepared in the art of daemonic banishments, and even then he still decimated the most part of an entire terminator company if memory serves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cegorach View Post
I do love how we don't even need CotE to comment anymore, chances are he has already said something intelligent before that can be re-applied to the current situation.
Heresy's Background FAQ. (Fluff Project)
CotE Reviews: Prospero Burns (HH Review), Age of Darkness (HH Review).

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode