Jump Packs - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-03-10, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

Levendus's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Jump Packs

I was wondering if you guys could elaborate a little on how jump packs work. Are they more like Jet packs, meaning they could stay airborne for a longer distance ? Could they fly for a few miles ? or is it literally just jumping.

Is the blast from the jump pack quite small ? I imagine the guy at the back of the squad just getting singed. Also when they land do you know if there is a suppression blast to stop them breaking their legs ?

Most importantly how the hell do they control them as well ? Is it hardwired through to their brains or on their belts ?

sorry for the wall of questions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-03-10, 11:42 PM

For orks it's bacicaly a missle on their back.
For the best idea, of what they like, look at them in dow

Last edited by locustgate; 10-04-10 at 03:38 PM.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-03-10, 11:58 PM

The space marines packs essentually are a rocket powered jump in the direction your facing then there's a short retro burst to slow you just before you hit the ground

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-04-10, 12:03 AM

Warlock in Training's Flag is: USA

DOW2 is a good description and show of hot it works. Its a power pack with Huge Thrusters to allow short burst for lift and short burst to soften landings. I have some OOP Jump Packs for Raptors and put them on my generic CSMs as Raptors. Didnt feel to right cause the new Raptors have a modified, sleek, Talon foot, armore. My are CSMs with Old School Raptor Jump Packs. The armore would have to be different I feel. To compesate for landing and achiving air to ground comabt. The SMs though wear PA with a Jump Pack. Weird.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-04-10, 02:09 PM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by locustgate View Post
For orks it's bacicaly a missle on their back.
For the best idea look at them in dow
Are you seriously saying, "for Lore, look at DoW"?

God have mercy on your soul. i have one word for you -

"Siinnnddddrrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii"

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-04-10, 03:19 PM
Making Vidya Games

ThatOtherGuy's Flag is: USA

I believe that he was talking about it visually Vaz.

post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-04-10, 03:28 PM
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

I'm pretty sure they can control them once in mid-air not simply forced to make a jump in that direction. The ones the Phantine Skyborne Imperial Guard use allow them to go up, hover around, turn etc. Sure the working are different but i imagine the elite units of the Imperium woulndt have such a crude mechanism as jump forward a bit in tht direction and come crashing down. Also in Horus Rising the Luna Wolf assault marines ascend to the top of the tower on theirs and neatly land at the top
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-04-10, 04:53 PM

I would imagine its something where its not just simply a boost in the air but more of a controlled jet turbine that increases and decreases the amount of propulsion they need, probably through a link into their power armour. It's sort of like the jet pack in Warhawk, you can stay and move in the air but also get a temporary boost in speed in a certain direction.

My advice to you is to get married, if you have a good wife you'll be happy; if you get a bad one you'll become a philosopher.

In the grim darkness of the future the economy has even hit daemons, The Changeling is working at White Castle and Skarbrand is giving head in the alley next to Fateweaver's.You ever receive fellatio from a rhyming demon? It's a bad scene man.

Sticking your junk into a fang-filled mouth that breathes fire doesn't strike me as particularly smart.
Which is why that option should be available to any willing to take it.

In fact, there should be fang-faced, firebreathing demons on every streetcorner offering to pay 100 dollars to give BJ's. The gene pool would be vastly better off without anyone incapable of thinking it through.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-04-10, 07:26 PM

If you watch the trailer for the new third-person shooter "Space Marine" you'll see a stormboy flying around like Superman with his jump pack. But I guess that's the same as looking at DoW for lore.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-04-10, 08:28 PM

Cruor99's Flag is: Norway

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmabadu View Post
If you watch the trailer for the new third-person shooter "Space Marine" you'll see a stormboy flying around like Superman with his jump pack. But I guess that's the same as looking at DoW for lore.
No, that's kind of correct. It's a missile, strapped on his back. Missiles DO have the ability to fly a long distance ;)

But Space Marines have jump packs, keyword being Jump. They allow for a short burst that gets you up and lets gravity take you down. It can not be used for prolonged flight, regardless of what C.S. Goto might write.

The Raptors have jet packs though, if my memory serves me right. They can, and often use, prolonged flights. I seem to remember the ending scene of Lord of the Night has raptors flying around.

The day you met me may have been the most life-changing day of your life. For me, it was simply tuesday.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode