Phalanx & The Rock - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-10, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Coder59's Flag is: England

Default Phalanx & The Rock

Phalanx the space borne fortress monastery of the Imperial Fists.

The Rock the space born fortress monastery of the Dark Angels and last remaining fragment of their homeworld.

My question is does anybody have any concrete info on the capability and size of these damn things? They seem to be the two biggest, baddest pieces of hardware in the Imperium, but does anybody actually have any idea about what they can do.

I know it's rumored that The Rock has engines and can move anywhere at the behest of the Master of the Chapter. And I know that Phalanx is supposed to be powerful enough to take on entire battle groups of navy ships but do we actually have any examples of this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-10, 03:20 PM

I guess a start would be to compare it an Imperial Retribution Class vessel to get an ideal of the scale.

I support Exterminatus.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-10, 03:25 PM
Grand Lord Munchkin

gen.ahab's Flag is: USA

Well the shields of the Rock can stand up to punishment that would shatter planets.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-10, 03:35 PM

I guess I misunderstood. Are you looking for the physical dimensions or armament ?
Or both?

I don't know of any tech blueprints for 40k like they have for Star Trek and Star Wars. That would be cool if they did. And if they don't... then wake up GW!

I support Exterminatus.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-10, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperious Rex View Post
I guess I misunderstood. Are you looking for the physical dimensions or armament ?
Or both?

I don't know of any tech blueprints for 40k like they have for Star Trek and Star Wars. That would be cool if they did. And if they don't... then wake up GW!
I'm looking more for capabilities. I'm already fairly sure about the physical dimentions. I know The Rock is supposed to be the biggest space-going vessel in the Imperium and Phalanx is supposed to be possibly the deadliest. The only clue to their size I can come up with is that both are big enough to allow multiple Space Marine Battle Barges to Dry-Dock with them.

Sorry if I wasn't too clear.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-10, 04:33 PM

Warlock in Training's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperious Rex View Post
Yeah that bothers me too.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-17-10, 09:56 PM

beast187's Flag is: USA

As stated in the "Lighting Tower," when the Emperor first came to Dorn's home planet, Dorn face a thousand warships with Phalanx.

Now this may be an example of arrogance or concession, but with Dorn's strategic background, one could infer that the Phalanx was capable of taking on all of the Imperial warships, and Dorn knowing this met them face to face.

Hope this helps.

" I dropped my modeling knife so I bent down to pick it up. At the same the phone started ringing, so I put the knife in my ear and the phone on the desk. The scar is still there..."
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-17-10, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beast187 View Post
As stated in the "Lighting Tower," when the Emperor first came to Dorn's home planet, Dorn face a thousand warships with Phalanx.

Now this may be an example of arrogance or concession, but with Dorn's strategic background, one could infer that the Phalanx was capable of taking on all of the Imperial warships, and Dorn knowing this met them face to face.

Hope this helps.
See I always had a different view of that. Dorn was always supposed to be one of the few primarchs who didn't challenge the Emperor. I always thought of it as Dorn going out to meet and talk with the Emperor and present Phalanx and himself to the Emperor.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-17-10, 11:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coder59 View Post
and present Phalanx and himself to the Emperor.
That would be because thats exactly what he did. The Phalanx may have been able to take on those thousands on ships, but he knew they were part of something vast and great, just as he likely was himself. So Dorn did what was sensible, he met with the leader of that fleet and presented himself as someone who would like to join this great cause only to discover that he was meeting his own father.

From what I remember reading in regards to the Phalanx, its the size of a small moon and more powerful than most fortress monasteries, which in any sort of gaming terms you base off ramilese star forts.

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode