A question about Grey Knights... - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-10, 04:33 AM Thread Starter

kurisutofuaa's Flag is: USA

A question about Grey Knights...

I have been thinking about this lately: What do the space marine chapter's think about the Grey Knights as a chapter?

"Baka ni tsukeru kusuri ha nai."
It means: There is no medicine to cure stupidity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraithian View Post
They deal, I buy. It's a plastic crack/junkie sort of relationship. *chuckles*

Last edited by kurisutofuaa; 09-15-10 at 07:28 AM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-10, 04:37 AM
Making Vidya Games

ThatOtherGuy's Flag is: USA

Who are these Gary knights your talking about? Are they some lost chapter from the Great Crusade?

Back to the question: The Majority of the Space Marines highly respect and revere them.

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-10, 05:20 AM

Necrosis's Flag is: Canada

I believe most space marines see them as another chapter which they know very very little or nothing about them.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-10, 06:06 AM
Senior Moderator

Necrosis would be correct; to most chapters the grey knights are just like any other chapter you might come across. This is deliberate, as their true nature and objective is a secret that only a select few are allowed to know. Some individuals, such as Logan Grimnar of the Space Wolves, know who the Grey Knights truly are and nothing can actually be done about that.

By the way, fixed the title for you; Grey Knights now.

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-10, 06:16 AM

Barnster's Flag is: United Kingdom

Its incredably rare the grey knights would ever meet another chapter though, as they do everything in secret.

When they do its generally either to save another chapter from the daemonic, or to destroy them
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-10, 03:05 PM

I disagree with some of the above users points. While it is true that your average imperial citizen, and even most space marines will never see the grey knights, I believe most if not all chapters have at least heard of them.

I'm sure there would have to be a little bitterness by some sm chapters, strictly because the grey knights have a history of never being corrupted (as well as having a superior gene seed).

I support Exterminatus.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-10, 03:24 PM

5tonsledge's Flag is: USA

I bet all the marines hate the Inqusition. Simply you dont want them getting up in your shit. some of the stuff you would do every day could be considered heresy. And when a inquisitor thinks there is heresy that useually means your whole chapter is going to go renegade because if they stay they will be butchered by the Grey Knights. Look at the Relictors and Flame Falcons. So the SM chapters who know of the Grey Knights probably are scared of them considering they will be the first to kill you.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-10, 03:35 PM

Warsmith40's Flag is: USA

In The Killing Grounds by Graham McNeill, Ventris and Pasanius recognized the Grey Knights almost immediatley, and my impression was that they treated them with respect and some concern (I was about to say fear, but they're Space Marines!). So my understanding is that the Grey Knights are acknowledged by the Space Marines, and their purpose is relatively clear, but how they go about it, the lengths to which they'll go and the methods and tools at their disposal are kept secret. Other Chapters know that the Grey Knights share in the battle to preserve the integrity of humanity and fight back the taint of Chaos, but it's not so clear that said Chapters know the extent of the Knights' focus.

My personal opinion is that most Chapters would see them as Space Marines tied to the Inquisition, deserving of the respect shown towards fellow Astartes and the caution shown towards the Inquisition.

Actions speak louder than words, as do high explosives.

Last edited by Warsmith40; 09-16-10 at 02:05 AM.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-10, 04:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Do keep in mind though, marines like Uriel Ventris and Logan Grimnar are captains or greater of first founding chapters. (Pasanius might know simply because of his friendship with Uriel.) The first foundings are amongst the most knowledgeable and respected of the chapters around, so the likelyhood of them having some idea of what the grey knights truly are is not unlikely, and that neither the grey knights or inquisition can do anything about this is an interesting one.

After all, what can they do? Wipe out a chapter like the Space Wolves or Ultramarines? Such a move would only risk retribution on whoever authorized it from many, many other chapters.

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-10, 04:24 PM
Grand Lord Munchkin

gen.ahab's Flag is: USA

And would be a massive waist of men and materials. The amount of men it would take to wipe put those two chapters would leave the imperium in a major pickle. Anywho, most people don't know who the gray knights are or what they do. Just wispers.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode