Your Fluff Credentials - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 132 (permalink) Old 08-30-10, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Feed
 
Serpion5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Space
Posts: 10,976
Reputation: 51
Default Your Fluff Credentials

Out of curiosity and a desire to know where I stand, I thought I`d ask a few questions of other members to see how in depth and experienced they are in 40k lore.

So...

1: How long have you been in the hobby?

2: How important is Fluff to you, relative to other aspects of the hobby?

3: How devoted are you to the works of the Black Library? By this I basically mean what compels you to buy/read one of their novels, do you pick them because of the races involved, follow certain serials, on a whim, etc...

4: How many codexes have you taken the time to read thoroughly, including older editions?

5: Do you enjoy postiulating theories, pondering mysteries, and writing your own works to expand your enjoyment of the hobby?

6: If youa have anything further to add, feel free.

EDIT: 7: What would you call your area of expertise?

EDIT8: What would you say is your weakest area of fluff knowledge?


I will answer these questions myself shortly.


Nonsense is our Salvation


Last edited by Serpion5; 11-15-10 at 09:39 AM.
Serpion5 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 132 (permalink) Old 08-30-10, 02:37 PM
Senior Member
 
Baron Spikey's Avatar
Baron Spikey's Flag is: United Kingdom
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Cheshire/Staffordshire
Posts: 5,934
Reputation: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpion5 View Post
1: How long have you been in the hobby?
Mid-1998, so just over 12 years, I got into the hobby the same month 3rd edition was released.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpion5 View Post
2: How important is Fluff to you, relative to other aspects of the hobby?
The most important part for me but I'm very biased as it's the aspect I enjoy the most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpion5 View Post
3: How devoted are you to the works of the Black Library? By this I basically mean what compels you to buy/read one of their novels, do you pick them because of the races involved, follow certain serials, on a whim, etc...
I'll pick up a novel for a variety of reasons; author, protagonists (i.e. Space Marines, Imperial Guard etc) or if I just think the synopsis sounds interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpion5 View Post
4: How many codexes have you taken the time to read thoroughly, including older editions?
I've got:
3 3rd/4th/5th Edition BRB
5 2nd Edition Codexes (Imperialis, Ultramarines, Space Wolves, Eldar, and Angels of Death)
All 3rd/4th/5th Edition Codexes
All WD(UK) in the last 12 years (so I own the entirety of Index Astartes)
All Imperial Armour (including IA: Apocalypse 1 & 2)
Cities of Death
Planet Strike
Battle Missions
Xenology
Liber Chaotica
Imperial Infantryman's Uplifting Primer
Insignium Astartes
Uniforms and Heraldry of the Empire
Deathwatch RP
Dark Heresy RP
Inquisitor Living Rulebook
Aeronautica
Battle Fleet Gothic
And a couple of other books whose identity I jealousy guard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpion5 View Post
5: Do you enjoy postiulating theories, pondering mysteries, and writing your own works to expand your enjoyment of the hobby?
Very much so, though I also enjoy partaking in other people's discussions.

Last edited by Baron Spikey; 12-03-10 at 12:31 PM.
Baron Spikey is offline  
post #3 of 132 (permalink) Old 08-30-10, 04:58 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 50
Reputation: 1
Default

1. On and off since Rouge Trader in 1992 I think.

2. Its the only interesting thing. Have played 3 games of table top, 1 in 1994 and 2 in 1999.

3. If its sci fi and imperial focused. Not interested in space marine war porn. Remember reading the Inquisiton War when it was released and was right up my street.

4. A few, none of the recent ones.

5. Yep

6. Off to get a cuppa.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpion5 View Post
Out of curiosity and a desire to know where I stand, I thought I`d ask a few questions of other members to see how in depth and experienced they are in 40k lore.

So...

1: How long have you been in the hobby?

2: How important is Fluff to you, relative to other aspects of the hobby?

3: How devoted are you to the works of the Black Library? By this I basically mean what compels you to buy/read one of their novels, do you pick them because of the races involved, follow certain serials, on a whim, etc...

4: How many codexes have you taken the time to read thoroughly, including older editions?

5: Do you enjoy postiulating theories, pondering mysteries, and writing your own works to expand your enjoyment of the hobby?

6: If youa have anything further to add, feel free.


I will answer these questions myself shortly.
thebinman is offline  
 
post #4 of 132 (permalink) Old 08-30-10, 06:19 PM
Making Vidya Games
 
ThatOtherGuy's Avatar
ThatOtherGuy's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Seattle WA
Posts: 2,027
Reputation: 11
Default

1: Collected since 2005-2006, sold em but still enjoy 40k all together

2: Fluff can vary. Sometimes its incrediably important, other times dirt is far more important.

3: Im not really that devoted. I read the summaries online or my buddies tell me.

4: None, I've borrowed them for only my short time playing. I also find Dan Abnett to be a good writer, but not really anything special.

5: I find writing my own works to be hard and fun at the same time. I also find the mysteries give us plenty of room for people to expand on fiction or ideas... or create really funny parodies (but that seems to be not a popular way to expand ).

6: Do you think the Emperor could beat Battle Toads in one go without getting frusterated?

ThatOtherGuy is offline  
post #5 of 132 (permalink) Old 08-30-10, 06:26 PM
Senior Member
 
cain the betrayer's Avatar
cain the betrayer's Flag is: Netherlands
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: the neterlands
Posts: 530
Reputation: 1
Quote:
1: How long have you been in the hobby?
about an year and a half

Quote:
2: How important is Fluff to you, relative to other aspects of the hobby?
quite important its fun to have an army that represents an cartaint elment of the background

Quote:
3: How devoted are you to the works of the Black Library? By this I basically mean what compels you to buy/read one of their novels, do you pick them because of the races involved, follow certain serials, on a whim, etc...
sometimes i buy their books if they sound intresting and they are of the races i like

Quote:
4: How many codexes have you taken the time to read thoroughly, including older editions?
only two the warriors of chaos armybook and the csm codex

Quote:
5: Do you enjoy postiulating theories, pondering mysteries, and writing your own works to expand your enjoyment of the hobby?
not really

Quote:
6: If youa have anything further to add, feel free.
i think fantasy is better


Check out my warriors of chaos log here
cain the betrayer is offline  
post #6 of 132 (permalink) Old 08-30-10, 07:30 PM
Senior Member
 
The Boz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 488
Reputation: 1
Default

1: How long have you been in the hobby?
Tabletop? Since 2010 But I have taken an interest at the beginning of 2004, before Dawn of War was released. Since then, I've played all the DoW games on the PC, read two dozen novels, and played an IG captain in a role-playing game. I only got into the tabletop recently because I finally managed to find three other guys who would play with me. I don't particularly like the idea of blindly rushing into an unknown bunch of people saying "Hey, guys! I don't know you, and you don't know me, but I wanna play Warhammer 40k!"

2: How important is Fluff to you, relative to other aspects of the hobby?
It's quite important.. Until recently, fluff was to me the most important thing in 40k, but playing and painting trumped that. Actually, painting trumped that, it's been consuming most of my free time, mainly because I'm slow (I can do a trio of guardsmen in two hours).

3: How devoted are you to the works of the Black Library? By this I basically mean what compels you to buy/read one of their novels, do you pick them because of the races involved, follow certain serials, on a whim, etc...
I first picked up what was heavily recommended by the WH40k enthusiasts over at the relicnews forums. I started off with the Horus Heresy novels, and I think that is the best start anyone can get at the WH40k fluff for two reasons. One, it covers one of the most important events in the history of the 40k universe. Two, the series is a showcase for the skill and style of (almost) every Black Library writer, and that's great for picking out what you like. I liked Abnett's style immediately, so I picked up Gaunt's Ghosts, which I finally finished only recently because I insisted on buying only the omnibus editions.
Basically, I'll read a book if it's from an author I know to be good, or if it recieved good reviews, or if it's part of a series that I'm following. If a book doesn't satisfy any of these parameters, it might still be picked up if I have time to kill.

4: How many codexes have you taken the time to read thoroughly, including older editions?
Six of them. Imperial Guard, which is my own army, and has been a great companion for the daily doing of the Emperor (that's a reference to taking a shit). I also borrowed the current Space Marines, Eldar, Chaos Space Marines and Orks dexes from the friends in my gaming group, and I've read the .pdf Daemonhunters as well.

5: Do you enjoy postiulating theories, pondering mysteries, and writing your own works to expand your enjoyment of the hobby?
Yes, immensely. I'm border-line obsessively creative when it comes to these things.

6: If you have anything further to add, feel free.
I really like Warhammer 40k. It's my second favorite Sci-Fi universe (with the first one being my own, ofcourse).

MAKE LOVE, NOT SPAM!

Last edited by The Boz; 08-30-10 at 07:44 PM.
The Boz is offline  
post #7 of 132 (permalink) Old 08-30-10, 07:39 PM
Bane of Empires
 
Child-of-the-Emperor's Avatar
Child-of-the-Emperor's Flag is: United Kingdom
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: England
Posts: 5,131
Reputation: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpion5 View Post
1: How long have you been in the hobby?
Around about 10 years now, I used to play Lotr, WFB and 40k on the tabletop but gave that all up many years ago now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpion5 View Post
2: How important is Fluff to you, relative to other aspects of the hobby?
By far the most important aspect of the hobby for me, mainly because its really only the part im interested in! After ditching the tabletop game several years ago (which was an on-and-off hobby for me anyway) I have had a consistent interest and thirst for background material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpion5 View Post
3: How devoted are you to the works of the Black Library? By this I basically mean what compels you to buy/read one of their novels, do you pick them because of the races involved, follow certain serials, on a whim, etc...
Probably not as devoted as I should be for how knowledgeable I claim to be. My BL collection isn't really large at all, I only own around 30 novels which is nothing compared to some of the more dedicated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpion5 View Post
4: How many codexes have you taken the time to read thoroughly, including older editions?
I own pretty much every codex from the last two editions of the game, and several others stretching back to 2nd ed (Angels of Death, Imperialis and Chaos to name a few). The Collected Visions is obviously a must-have for background enthusiasts so thats in the bag, and all the Index Astartes articles aswell as around 8 or 9 WFB army books which I take a fleeting interest in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpion5 View Post
5: Do you enjoy postiulating theories, pondering mysteries, and writing your own works to expand your enjoyment of the hobby?
Oh yes, why else would I spend as much time as I do on these forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpion5 View Post
EDIT: 7: What would you call your area of expertise?
I see myself as having good general all-round knowledge. Although perhaps with a slight tilt in favour of primarily Chaos lore as that is what interests me the most.



Quote:
Originally Posted by cegorach View Post
I do love how we don't even need CotE to comment anymore, chances are he has already said something intelligent before that can be re-applied to the current situation.
Heresy's Background FAQ. (Fluff Project)
CotE Reviews: Prospero Burns (HH Review), Age of Darkness (HH Review).

Last edited by Child-of-the-Emperor; 10-26-10 at 02:16 PM.
Child-of-the-Emperor is offline  
post #8 of 132 (permalink) Old 08-31-10, 02:36 AM
Senior Member
 
Androxine Vortex's Avatar
Androxine Vortex's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Morrowind
Posts: 962
Reputation: 2
Default

1. Aprox 3 years

2. I don't play the game anymore so all I do is read the books and seek to understand the WH40K universe.

3. I read the books for the same reason as above. I think that the warhammer books are very good because they are just so epic, and to see such great detail from the authors put into it makes it like nothing else I have ever read; very formal and proper.

4. Necron, Eldar, Tyranids, Space Marines, Chaos,

5. I like Wrahmmer because a lot of it is open for speculation. I am writting a fan-novel on my own chapter whenever I'm not working or in school. I want to try and get ALL the facts straight so when people see my work, they will be pleased with it (im not saying i want it published-if it was that would be cool but i'm mainly doing it for fun)


+MAY THE DARK GODS BLESS YOU WITH MANY TENTACLES+
Androxine Vortex is offline  
post #9 of 132 (permalink) Old 08-31-10, 03:19 AM
Member
 
X FiftY 1ne's Avatar
X FiftY 1ne's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Through the Fog
Posts: 66
Reputation: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpion5 View Post
Out of curiosity and a desire to know where I stand, I thought I`d ask a few questions of other members to see how in depth and experienced they are in 40k lore.

So...

1: How long have you been in the hobby?

2: How important is Fluff to you, relative to other aspects of the hobby?

3: How devoted are you to the works of the Black Library? By this I basically mean what compels you to buy/read one of their novels, do you pick them because of the races involved, follow certain serials, on a whim, etc...

4: How many codexes have you taken the time to read thoroughly, including older editions?

5: Do you enjoy postiulating theories, pondering mysteries, and writing your own works to expand your enjoyment of the hobby?

6: If youa have anything further to add, feel free.


I will answer these questions myself shortly.
1. Since 95-96

2. The most important aspect. Seriously cannot get enough.

3. I like to read the BL novels to dive into the details of what I already know. To learn more, and also get tibits of information that could lead to the progression of the story.

4. Read all codex's from 2nd - 4th edition(Still have my Chaos 2nd edition and Blood Angels - the others I sold on eBay). Just recently got back into the tabletop with a good group of friends. But I've kept up on the lore through novels and the editions of Index Astartes. I'll get around to hopefully having the money and purchasing all the other 5th edition codecies.

5. Constantly thinking about where the over all plot of everything could go. I'll usually day dream when I'm driving or something and wonder what could of happened to the missing legions. Could they have been stuck in the Webway under the Emporer's palace of Terra? Was he secretly plotting to get them back, knowing Horus would begin heresy?

6. Keep pumping out the novels BL.

Truth is Treason in an Empire of lies.
X FiftY 1ne is offline  
post #10 of 132 (permalink) Old 08-31-10, 06:15 AM
Craw-Daddy
 
ckcrawford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,416
Reputation: 29
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpion5 View Post
Out of curiosity and a desire to know where I stand, I thought I`d ask a few questions of other members to see how in depth and experienced they are in 40k lore.

So...

1: How long have you been in the hobby?
About ten years, I started in the year 2000.


2: How important is Fluff to you, relative to other aspects of the hobby?
I must confess, I never really got into the fluff untill the Heresy Novels came out. However, I did like collecting codexes and reading the short facts and stories.

3: How devoted are you to the works of the Black Library? By this I basically mean what compels you to buy/read one of their novels, do you pick them because of the races involved, follow certain serials, on a whim, etc...
What drives me to read a 40k book is usually the reviews or the fact that the main theme is something I'm interested in.

4: How many codexes have you taken the time to read thoroughly, including older editions?I count about 17

5: Do you enjoy postiulating theories, pondering mysteries, and writing your own works to expand your enjoyment of the hobby?I have in the past. So much more then than now. But I think its always good to use your imagination where the 40k has not presented all the fluff.

6: If youa have anything further to add, feel free.
I must say, I remember about ten years ago when I started my first 40k army. I just wanted to start so I got the best i could buy for my dollar and got all those eldar guardians. haha. It wasn't until I got into the game that I actually decided to be a DA fan for a couple years that I used my eldar models and broke them apart with my hammer to create pieces for a cool Slaanesh Temple. Good times good times.
7. I'd like to think I know a lot about the heresy and the traitor legions. This has also given me a lot of interest in the Ruinous Powers, so I have a good concept of chaos in the 40k realm. Specifically, I like keeping track of the original traitor legions than Abaddon and his Black Legion. Especially the Word Bearers and Iron Warriors.

8. Some trouble I may have with the 40k world stems from fluff presented quite a while ago. I think thats the biggest problem with 40k. Primarily because some of the fluff can get in the way of recent fluff and/or may just seem unbelievable. Two races I've never really gotten into are Tau and Dark Eldar. Dark Eldar because there just hasn't been enough fluff written about them. I actually find them quite interesting. Tau though, I don't really care for.
Well thats my take into my 40k life.

Last edited by ckcrawford; 12-03-10 at 04:25 PM.
ckcrawford is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome