Your Fluff Credentials - Page 5 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 132 (permalink) Old 09-06-10, 06:21 PM
I am Alpharius.

Doelago's Flag is: Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpion5 View Post
First of all, I worship the star borne, not chaos.

Second, the star borne are infinitely superior to chaos.

Third, you can keep your shrivelled failure of an emperor, you silly silly human, you...

You know what? Everything you just said gave me ten more reasons to you...

[Flerden] 9:05 pm: Why the hell can't he just go offline if he goes to watc tv?
[dark angel] 9:06 pm: It is Doelago, we will never know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 132 (permalink) Old 09-06-10, 09:11 PM

Scathainn's Flag is: Norway

Quote:
1: How long have you been in the hobby?
Since...well, let's see, a friend of mine gave me the marines for Assault on Black Reach in late '07. I played DoW beforehand but in all honesty I had no idea the two were connected

Quote:
2: How important is Fluff to you, relative to other aspects of the hobby?
Considering I love the whole hobby so much, it's very even with most other aspects (modelling, painting, gaming, etc). I do love to write though, perhaps due to the fact I'm getting a degree in it, so I tend to show the community of HO my writing aspect.

Quote:
3: How devoted are you to the works of the Black Library? By this I basically mean what compels you to buy/read one of their novels, do you pick them because of the races involved, follow certain serials, on a whim, etc...
I love everything by ADB, Dan Abnett, the old Gav Thorpe stuff, and the miscellaneous IG novels by people who's names I can't remember.

Quote:
4: How many codexes have you taken the time to read thoroughly, including older editions?
Oh jeez...well I have every 5th edition codex, most 4th editions (the ones that haven't been updated to 5th), every FW Army List and some 3rd edition codexes. All of which I read thoroughly

Quote:
5: Do you enjoy postiulating theories, pondering mysteries, and writing your own works to expand your enjoyment of the hobby?
Of course! I've been having a lot of fun running some 40k roleplays and I even entered in the 2010 Fiction Competition (Check out my entry if you have time, by the way! )

Quote:
6: If youa have anything further to add, feel free.
I think my next step in the 40k fluff universe is to start an advice column from the viewpoint of an Ork

Cheers,
Scathainn

And what shoulder, & what art. Could twist the sinews of thy heart?
And when thy heart began to beat, What dread hand? & what dread feet?
What the hammer? what the chain? In what furnace was thy brain?
What the anvil? what dread grasp, Dare its deadly terrors clasp?
When the stars threw down their spears, And watered heaven with their tears,
Did he smile his work to see? Did he who made the Lamb make thee?
post #43 of 132 (permalink) Old 09-07-10, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Feed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scathainn View Post
I think my next step in the 40k fluff universe is to start an advice column from the viewpoint of an Ork
Step One: Hit it.

Step Two: If it dies, eat it.

Step Three: If it`s bigger than you and don`t die, run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doelago View Post
You know what? Everything you just said gave me ten more reasons to you...
Eleven: Grey makes you look fat.

Nonsense is our Salvation

post #44 of 132 (permalink) Old 09-07-10, 08:46 PM
ROT

ROT's Flag is: Djibouti

Location: Essex, that shit hole you drive through to get to london.

My fluff credentials aren't even worth putting in a question/answer format, Not much experience, 1 codex, etc.

I just like to imput ideas, and overall i like to learn in this subforum..
I hope that dosn't make me soon like a loser, But i do infact enjoy learning about 40k history :]

The guy who wishes he never sold all his warhammer. Haha. Such is life.
post #45 of 132 (permalink) Old 09-10-10, 11:44 PM

Quote:
About 4-5 years, not long I know but I've spent it well I think by reading everything I could get my hands on

Quote:
I think the fluff is my favourite part, I love it in so many ways, the vastness of it, the mysteries, the way it draws on other things I like etc.

Quote:
3: How devoted are you to the works of the Black Library? By this I basically mean what compels you to buy/read one of their novels, do you pick them because of the races involved, follow certain serials, on a whim, etc...
Hmmmm, I'm probably more inclined to the books if they have Chaos or Dark Elves in them, but I'll pick up any book that catches my eye. My favourite series are: Gaunts Ghosts, Malus Darkblade, Ravenor and Eisenhorn

Quote:
4: How many codexes have you taken the time to read thoroughly, including older editions?
I've read probably about....9-10 although I haven't read any of the REALLY old ones.

Quote:
5: Do you enjoy postiulating theories, pondering mysteries, and writing your own works to expand your enjoyment of the hobby?
Hell yeah, it's what keeps me in the hobby and on heresy.

Quote:
6: If you have anything further to add, feel free.
Basically, I get obsessed with things easily for instance I have shelves of lovecraftian stuff, boxes of sandman comics etc. So when I found Warhammer I was over the moon. Finally something I could get really, really obbsessed with and do it with similar minded people, and the thing I get most obbsessed about is the fluff, so that's why I love Heresy.
post #46 of 132 (permalink) Old 09-15-10, 07:02 AM

scumbubble's Flag is: Canada

Default So?

About a year and a half now.

Incredibly important. The Fluff is what got me into the game!
I love the black library, I've in my possession 15 novels, mostly guard novels. I pick em if guard is involved, but i dabble in SM books. I Actually bought that Eldar book just to see how it would be.
Err.. about three. the two most recent Ork codices and the most recent CSM codex.
I have like three 200 page notebooks crammed with homebrewed Fluff. Everytime I glue together a kit I HAVE to write something about it. Wether it be my Guardsmen, my Orks or my Space Marines.
6: If youa have anything further to add, feel free
I spend loads of time reading random tidbits on various Wikis online. Looads of time.

When all else fails... Pick up your rifle!

Last edited by Commissar Ploss; 10-26-10 at 04:48 PM. Reason: can't read black on black dude... -CP
post #47 of 132 (permalink) Old 09-17-10, 09:00 PM

Aquilanus's Flag is: United Kingdom

Started sometime in '87/88 until roughly Third Edition. By then I'd gotten too many things on my plate to be able to continue. At that time I was playing 40k Space Wolves, Biel Tan Eldar, a Khornate Genestealer Cult (remember those? ) Epic Space Wolves (the entire army!), Epic Tyranids, Epic Chaos and Eldar, 40k Black Legion, a small 40k Freebootaz/Evil Sunz army and a WHF Dark Elf army. I'd gotten to the point where lack of opponents and saturation point kicked in and I "retired". I wished I had moth balled all of the Mini's now (although there are a few still kicking around at my Parents somewhere.....)

I started getting the bug again, after seeing a copy of DOW in a bargain bin in a local Morrisons supermarket (cost me a fiver ) Got Soulstorm to go with it and slowly became interested again...."Just when I thought I was out.....they drag me back in again!"

Have only a couple of Mini's at the moment, but overtime am going to collect and paint both of my own DIY armies: Steel Wings (loyalists) and Bahltimyr Reavers (Traitors)

Very. I do so like to read up about most things, especially Chaos, Space Wolf and anything Horus Heresy related.

I have a first edition copy of Space Marine (very battered now), most of the Space Wolf novels and the first 5 or so of the HH books. I have read a few others from the local Library, but there is no fast and ready reason as to why I read them. If they are interesting, I'll give them a go.

Back in the day, I knew Rogue Trader and most of the suppliments by rote. I really didn't need them to be able to play. Nowadays, I can bearly remember any of it

Very much so. I'm in the middle of detailing the history etc of my DIY Chapters, writting about one and working a rough draft of the other. I also like to discuss theories/poking holes in established fluff

As much as Slaanesh is the most depraved being in existance, even (s)he draws the line at L337speak!

Slaa'Nesh'Ka
post #48 of 132 (permalink) Old 09-28-10, 09:15 AM

WarWolf88's Flag is: Finland

Quote:

1. Since 2001 I think. It was just before the 4th edition came out.

2. I love fluff. I'm fluff-Freak, so what can you expect. Still, I would love to play more, but since that is impossible around here, I concentrate on the fluff.

3. I really don't read that many BL novels (Ragnar and HHeresy being te rare exeptions), but I do read some of the more fluffic stuff like the Tactica Imperialis, HH - Collected Visions and Liber Chaotica.

4. Each and everyone that I can get my hands on.

5. Yes.
post #49 of 132 (permalink) Old 10-12-10, 08:33 AM

Angelus Censura's Flag is: USA

1. For about 8 years now (2000)

2. Fluff runs almost every aspect of the hobbie for me. It determines what army I do, how I model them, paint them, etc. The only other thing is the models themselves. If either the models look goofy, or the fluff sucks/doesn't catch my attention, I won't do that army.

3. Some of the Black Library books are complete shit, however, I have read some really cool ones (Such as the Soul Drinkers series) which have inspired conversions and armies. I don't have a specific preferance, as long as Space Marines or Renegades are involved. The bloodier and more jam packed full of unknown or homebrewn fluff, the better. I think there is nothing more fun to read than a BL book that involves completely scratch built Chapters, rather than following the cookie cutter GW text.

4. I think I have thoroughly read all of the Chaos codexes, and then some of the SM chapters that have their own codexes, including Space Wolves, Blood Angels, Dark Angels, Daemon Hunters, With Hunters, and a lot online about the Iron Hands and Ad Mech.

5. I don't write my own "works" so to speak, but I do build off of the foundation laid by GW. For instance, I read the DA codex in the section about the successors, mixed and matched different traits, maid up some stuff to throw in there, somehow incorporated Ad Mech, and bam, new successor chapter.

6. The incredible amount of fluff is what makes GW different, and in my opinion better, than any of the other miniature wargames out there. It is incredibly flexible, allowing you to create any sort of twist or turn, and convert anything into what you have stuck in your head. I've been hearing a lot about Warmachine and such becoming big competators to GW, but it doesn't make sense to me. After reading the rulebooks for other wargames, it seems like they lack a ton of flexibility that GW has an over abundance of. I don't think I could play another wargame that didn't involve fluff and allow for a considerate amount of conversions.

post #50 of 132 (permalink) Old 10-26-10, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
Feed

Quote:
Originally Posted by scumbubble View Post
1: About a year and a half now.

2: Incredibly important. The Fluff is what got me into the game!

3: I love the black library, I've in my possession 15 novels, mostly guard novels. I pick em if guard is involved, but i dabble in SM books. I Actually bought that Eldar book just to see how it would be.

4: Err.. about three. the two most recent Ork codices and the most recent CSM codex.

5: I have like three 200 page notebooks crammed with homebrewed Fluff. Everytime I glue together a kit I HAVE to write something about it. Wether it be my Guardsmen, my Orks or my Space Marines.

6:
[B][COLOR="black"]I spend loads of time reading random tidbits on various Wikis online. Looads of time.

Scumbubble`s answers in a readable colour. Elseways he or a mod could edit his original post.

By the way guys, I added another question.

Nonsense is our Salvation

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode