Your Fluff Credentials - Page 4 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 132 (permalink) Old 09-05-10, 07:08 AM

HOBO's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
1: How long have you been in the hobby?
Actual gaming...start of 3rd Ed, but I bought RT and other early Publications out of interest and still have them.

Quote:
2: How important is Fluff to you, relative to other aspects of the hobby?
It's important but I don't necessarily let it get in the way of building lists, well for standard 40K games anyway, but I do play a lot of Apoc and Campaigns and Fluffy builds are more prevalent in those.

Quote:
3: How devoted are you to the works of the Black Library? By this I basically mean what compels you to buy/read one of their novels, do you pick them because of the races involved, follow certain serials, on a whim, etc...
Devoted..well I want to read them, and in order as well, so I can actually say that I have read them. They do offer clues and reasons as to why the Heresy happened, plus flesh out the main Characters and Legions/Chapters etc. Some, like the DA specific Novels, I like because I play Death Wing so it's nice to know their history etc. I've read the first 11 so far.

Quote:
4: How many codexes have you taken the time to read thoroughly, including older editions?
Most of them...I have about 25 myself, and within my regular gaming group I think we have all of them right back to RT...they're the main source of Background.

Quote:
5: Do you enjoy postiulating theories, pondering mysteries, and writing your own works to expand your enjoyment of the hobby?
I like reading other people's work, but I'm not that 'into' this Hobby as much as othere are..I know a few people who's like is consumed by it all, but to each their own.

Quote:
6: If youa have anything further to add, feel free.
I get most enjoyment from the collecting/modelling side of the hobby, with gaming and the other aspects (including being a member of Heresy) following on from that.

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 132 (permalink) Old 09-05-10, 07:17 PM

gothik's Flag is: United Kingdom

1. on and off since 1990 (got into the fantasy first in 1988)
2. its essential to get the general background and what happened but i don't live off it
3. i buy the codex's i like although i have the original eldar and chaos marins ones and novels take my fancy obviously following the HH through but if i like the look of one will pick it up, i paint figures although i lost a lot when i moved and kids damaging others but i am not a tt player.
4. see number 3
5. 8i wrote my own leigon to see if i could actually do it and always have some idea pottering about in my head.
6, nope no more to say
post #33 of 132 (permalink) Old 09-05-10, 09:44 PM

malus-darkblade's Flag is: Scotland

that is so fucking sweet i can't wait to own it

nnope mnen dzmjsw

dksegtr[oksebufe]ERlw

w qNNNJACDMMXCXDFNFDNINJASFWK

Abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

a dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords at dawn

post #34 of 132 (permalink) Old 09-05-10, 09:53 PM

malus-darkblade's Flag is: Scotland

I won't be posting till I learn to form real words

a dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords at dawn

Last edited by Baron Spikey; 09-05-10 at 10:04 PM.
post #35 of 132 (permalink) Old 09-05-10, 11:57 PM

Stephen_Newman's Flag is: United Kingdom

LOL well done Baron!
post #36 of 132 (permalink) Old 09-06-10, 06:07 AM
I am Alpharius.

Doelago's Flag is: Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by malus-darkblade View Post
Well done Baron

[Flerden] 9:05 pm: Why the hell can't he just go offline if he goes to watc tv?
[dark angel] 9:06 pm: It is Doelago, we will never know
post #37 of 132 (permalink) Old 09-06-10, 06:21 AM
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpion5 View Post
Depends on your definition of into the hobby. I have been playing since about the start of third edition, twelve or thirteen years now. However, I was first introduced to all of this back in '98 with chaos gate and final liberation. Loved those games, still no walk in the park either.

Quote:
Fluff is the major player in the hobby for me; I like list building because I have a thing for numbers but the stories and background are what truly draw me in and keep me going. This is especially so for the works of many authors, both employed by GW and Black Library and those who write their own stuff and know how to do it very well.

I don't play so much these days, midway through high school many of the local shops closed up and in college many of the local players are the asshat type of competitive. They do more harm than good to the hobby in my experience, so the fluff is a big thing for me.

Quote:
3: How devoted are you to the works of the Black Library? By this I basically mean what compels you to buy/read one of their novels, do you pick them because of the races involved, follow certain serials, on a whim, etc...
For the most part...no I have absolutely no preferences when it comes to Black Library works. I do tend to favour some of the more out there, older, or off beat works like the Inquisition War, Sons of Dorn, or the later Space Wolf books (honestly, I bought and finished Wolf's Honour in like three hours and was left wanting more, never did that for any of the ones King came out with.)

Quote:
4: How many codexes have you taken the time to read thoroughly, including older editions?
Don't know, more than I might care to admit; I have a lot of them and I really don't want to get counting.

Quote:
5: Do you enjoy postiulating theories, pondering mysteries, and writing your own works to expand your enjoyment of the hobby?
From time to time yes, going beyond the drawing board and onto the writing of whole stories is something I tend to struggle with (shorter bouts are easier for me) but I do try now and then.

I do like to help people with their own work, because I have a fair depth of the fluff; though fairly often this looks like I am just tearing people's work apart. Then again, if something isn't good or doesn't make sense, I am going to be honest so some people can just suck it.

Quote:
6: If youa have anything further to add, feel free.
Have had Asylum by Disturbed for days now and loving every moment of it.

Also, for those of you who have not, give a browsing through the original works section. Some of the people there are extremely talented and come out with great works.

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this
post #38 of 132 (permalink) Old 09-06-10, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
Feed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doelago View Post
I am the Emperors most holy servant, so screw you, you chaos work shipping bastards!
First of all, I worship the star borne, not chaos.

Second, the star borne are infinitely superior to chaos.

Third, you can keep your shrivelled failure of an emperor, you silly silly human, you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by malus-darkblade View Post
That would be most helpful.

(Nice, Baron. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkreever View Post
Also, for those of you who have not, give a browsing through the original works section. Some of the people there are extremely talented and come out with great works.
I second this, as long as you steer clear of my work, you`ll find absolute gold in the OW section.

Nonsense is our Salvation

post #39 of 132 (permalink) Old 09-06-10, 10:17 AM

Since christmas 1987

Fairly important, but the numerous retcons mean I have a slightly cynical attitude to it all.

I read most of the 40k novels published (eventually), avoiding only the works of Mr Counter (and even then I trudged through battle for the abyss)

Pretty much all of them apart from Codex Black Templars

To a certain extent. I enjoy discussing this sort of thing with others though
post #40 of 132 (permalink) Old 09-06-10, 01:23 PM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

Quote:
20 years or so. My original copy of Rogue Trader is carefully preserved in a stasis field.

Quote:
It's what makes me want to paint, convert and play with little plastic soldiers. If it wasn't for the fluff it's be just like playing with those toy soldiers you got as a small child, bland and boring with no character.

Quote:
I've got pretty much every 40k novel that BL has produced in the last 15 years, and then some.

Quote:
All of them except for the new tyranid one.

Quote:
Everybody enjoys a good conspiracy theory, and 40k provides plenty of material for discussion. I don't write my own material though, as there are far more capable people out there to do that.

Last edited by Khorne's Fist; 09-06-10 at 01:26 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode