Your Fluff Credentials - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 132 (permalink) Old 09-02-10, 04:55 AM
ChaosRedCorsairLord's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpion5 View Post
1: How long have you been in the hobby?

Since 1997-1998. When I was a young lad...

2: How important is Fluff to you, relative to other aspects of the hobby?

Not as important as modelling, but more important than painting, tactics and gaming.

3: How devoted are you to the works of the Black Library? By this I basically mean what compels you to buy/read one of their novels, do you pick them because of the races involved, follow certain serials, on a whim, etc...

I don't read any BL novels, I've never really liked them.

4: How many codexes have you taken the time to read thoroughly, including older editions?

Eldar ed 3, 4 & craftworld.
Tau ed 3 & 4.
CSM ed 3, 3.5 & 4.
DoC
SW ed 5.
Dark Eldar ed 2, 2.5.
Harlequins
Tyranids ed 3, 4 & 5.
Space Marines ed 4 & 5.
Plus bits and pieces of other 'dexs

5: Do you enjoy postiulating theories, pondering mysteries, and writing your own works to expand your enjoyment of the hobby?

Yes very much so. I don't write any of these ponderings down because I've never been big on writing, but my favourite parts of 40k fluff are the 'open' areas which allow for reader interpretation. It's also why I dislike things that are "well documented", too much fluff leaves little room for imagination.
Stupid character limit.

When I was a young boy, I dreamed of being a baseball...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 132 (permalink) Old 09-02-10, 01:51 PM

Alexious's Flag is: Australia

[QUOTE=Serpion5;715031]

June 87. LOL! I feel old....

Important to me at times. I tend to get cranky with retcon stuff that I see spoils the game fluff or changes stuff to the point I roll my eyes. Things like...

Did you know it was an Imperial Guardsmen who shows the Emperor Horus cannot be saved?

That High Warlocks should have lightning claws? (Will be interested to see who even knows what a High Warlock is....)

That Imperial Guard used to ride Jet bikes and use Rhino's! But then they forgot... all of a sudden... circa 1995.

That strange Orange Monkeys actually make digi weapons...

That the Tyranid race had ambassadors? Look up Zoats...

3: How devoted are you to the works of the Black Library? By this I basically mean what compels you to buy/read one of their novels, do you pick them because of the races involved, follow certain serials, on a whim, etc...

Some of it I do read.... but a lot of it is rubbish, almost boys own adventure stuff at times.

4: How many codexes have you taken the time to read thoroughly, including older editions?

Eldar 90% Anything Imperial 100% Others vary.[/COLOR]

5: Do you enjoy postiulating theories, pondering mysteries, and writing your own works to expand your enjoyment of the hobby?

Yes, if its handled in a constructive way... arguing over who is the BEST etc..... blah! But talking about the Imperium, Astronomicon, Lore and also the little known stuff is always fun.
post #23 of 132 (permalink) Old 09-02-10, 10:34 PM
Entropy Fetishist

Mossy Toes's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexious View Post
Did you know it was an Imperial Guardsmen who shows the Emperor Horus cannot be saved?

Ollanius Pious, wasn't he named?

That strange Orange Monkeys actually make digi weapons...

The Jokaero! Awesome creatures.

That the Tyranid race had ambassadors? Look up Zoats...

Ahhhh...Ian Watson. Well, I know, not only him--but he includes them.
(character limit)

CSM Plog, Tactica

What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator! Imperator!

post #24 of 132 (permalink) Old 09-02-10, 10:49 PM

Brother Subtle's Flag is: Australia

ive got to get a copy of Space Marine one of these days!

post #25 of 132 (permalink) Old 09-02-10, 11:29 PM

Warsmith40's Flag is: USA

I was first introduced to Games Workshop and the fun that is Warhammer 40k in 2004 at my first Games Day. I still have the Space Marine Veteran from that year, my first 40k model. Wargaming has gone even further back as I've played Battletech as early 2002.

Fluff forms the background for much of my armies, as I tend to follow a certain theme based on the fluff. I've also experimented with a few fanfics, but have rarely posted any, preferring to keep a mental library instead. Backstory is also integral with campaigns and major scenarios, so the ability to whip together great fluff is a useful skill.

3: How devoted are you to the works of the Black Library?

I've read read much of Dan Abnett's works, including both the Eisenhorn and Ravenor series, Gaunt's Ghosts, and Brothers of the Snake. I'm also quite fond of Graham Mcneil's works (especially the Ultramarines series), and as could be seen, I found myself using the title Warsmith after reading Storm of Iron. I've read the Word Bearer's series by Anthony Reynolds, and alot of the independent novels such as Fifteen Hours and Death World. I even read through Let the Galaxy Burn, and excellent compilation of 40k short stories, which provided much perspective on aspects of the 40k mythos I hadn't been previously familiar with.

I've read C:SM 4th and 5th Ed., C:BA 3rd/4th and 5th, C:T/TE 4th and 5th, C:CSM 5th, C:Eldar 3rd/4th and 5th, C:Tyranids 4th, and C:IG 4th and 5th extensively. I have a tendency to commit basic statistics to memory, and I'm quite familiar with most 40k statlines.

Absolutely. it's one of the reasons I appreciate Heresy Online to most: I can discuss practically anything Games Workshop, especially fluff and homebrew, which allows me to broaden my repertoir of knowledge and skills in W40k

Actions speak louder than words, as do high explosives.

Last edited by Warsmith40; 09-02-10 at 11:32 PM.
post #26 of 132 (permalink) Old 09-02-10, 11:43 PM

Stephen_Newman's Flag is: United Kingdom

Don't forget the marines also used jetbikes and the guard also had access to land raiders.
post #27 of 132 (permalink) Old 09-03-10, 10:52 PM

forkmaster's Flag is: Sweden

1: How long have you been in the hobby? Ive been in it since... 2000-ish. Been collecting High Elves and LOTR (highly regretting both of them), Space Marines, IG (twice), Tau and Tyranids.

2: How important is Fluff to you, relative to other aspects of the hobby? Always important as the future history teacher I am, with the chronological lines of dates, happenings and so on solving mysteries.

3: How devoted are you to the works of the Black Library? By this I basically mean what compels you to buy/read one of their novels, do you pick them because of the races involved, follow certain serials, on a whim, etc...?

I began reading my first novel at the start of 2009, Horus Rising it was. Ever since Ive read all HH-novels, Gaunts Ghosts stories thats been released, Redemption Corps, Cadian Blood, Soulhunter and Dark Apostle. Mostly Im interested in HH (because of the beginning), GG (because of the characters and IG), IG in general and when Chaos is involved as a scourge against the Imperium.

4: How many codexes have you taken the time to read thoroughly, including older editions? Ive read pretty much most since the 3rd edition.

5: Do you enjoy postiulating theories, pondering mysteries, and writing your own works to expand your enjoyment of the hobby? I love theories, but Child-of-the-emperor have killed off (and GW as well) most of them. ;)

6: If youa have anything further to add, feel free. Im too lazy right now. Cant say much other than this.
post #28 of 132 (permalink) Old 09-04-10, 03:07 AM
Semi-Famous 40k Intellect

Commissar Ploss's Flag is: USA

Commissar Ploss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpion5 View Post
I jumped on with Second Ed. whenever the hell that was. lol
Quote:
Modelling used to be the top aspect when i started, however, i have drifted to the realm of fluffyness where since, i have become entrenched.
Quote:
I review Black Library novels for my blog The Founding Fields, and have been integral in the development and post count of their section here on Heresy. I've gotten to know one of their authors quite well, and hope to be working with them in the future, Emperor willing. I jumped on the Imperial Guard wagon with the start of the Gaunt's Ghosts series so they are my favorite faction. I'm partial to their stories and other assorted media.
Quote:
Near all of them. Less so the alien ones, since i lean heavily on factions more closely related to the Imperium. I also have an unnatural fixation on Warmaster Slaydo and the events leading up to and surrounding his final moments. As well as other less explored back story where my mind can run free with speculation.
Quote:
Highly. (kind of goes without saying. lol)
Quote:
6: If youa have anything further to add, feel free.
I'm better than you. Nah Nana Boo boo, stick your head in doo doo.

CP

btw, Thread Stuk for coolness.

The Founding Fields

Last edited by Commissar Ploss; 09-04-10 at 03:10 AM.
post #29 of 132 (permalink) Old 09-04-10, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Feed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commissar Ploss View Post
I'm better than you. Nah Nana Boo boo, stick your head in doo doo.
For now, Ploss. For now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commissar Ploss

btw, Thread Stuk for coolness.
My first sticky thread.

Nonsense is our Salvation

Last edited by Serpion5; 09-04-10 at 11:21 AM.
post #30 of 132 (permalink) Old 09-04-10, 12:28 PM
I am Alpharius.

Doelago's Flag is: Finland

Well, I wanted to start in 2004, but I did not buy my first models until maybe... 2007? It was a SM Tactical Squad.. Aah... Good old memories...

On a scale of 1-10, I would say that it is 9, maybe 9,5, dunno, but I also enjoy just using money on a hell of models, of which only 40% get painted as I turn my eyes on a new army or chapter...

Totally random purchases... I have bought two novels; Assault on Black Reach and Dark Adeptus, and gotten two others together with the White Dwarf value packs; Caves of Ice and Faith and Fire... And then I have also bought two amazing background books; The Liber Chaotica and the Sabbat Worlds Crusade... But I am planing to buy more, as I am getting even more into the fluff for every passing day...

I will give you a short list:

5th: Codex: Space Marines

4th: Codex: Dark Angels

3rd: Codex: Daemon Hunters

3rd: Codex: Tau

3rd: Codex: Blood Angels

3rd: Codex: Dark Angels

My favorites of them are the last of them, cause I was really surprised to find them in the shelves of a local book store for a darn cheap price and in damn good shape, and the fact that they were probably the best read of them all!

Yes, I do, it is one of the most enjoyable things in the hobby!

6: If youa have anything further to add, feel free.

I am the Emperors most holy servant, so screw you, you chaos work shipping bastards!

[Flerden] 9:05 pm: Why the hell can't he just go offline if he goes to watc tv?
[dark angel] 9:06 pm: It is Doelago, we will never know

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode