Old Marines - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 71 (permalink) Old 08-28-10, 07:17 AM Thread Starter

hippypancake's Flag is: Wales

Default Old Marines

so I just realized this.

Space Marines aren't immortal and they do detiriate just at a much slower rate than normal humans so this leads me to my epiphany

when a Marine becomes so old that he hinders the army what happens to him? I would expect that after so many battles if a marine lives that long they would just hook em up to a dreadnaught

any other opinions?

The Undefeated 13th (SW) - W 3, L 0, D 2

The Swarm (Nids) - W 33, L 14, D 0

Da Waugh Squad (Orks) - W 5, L 9, D 2

The Gunline/Gundam Wing (Tau) - Under Construction
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 (permalink) Old 08-28-10, 07:20 AM
Grand Lord Munchkin

gen.ahab's Flag is: USA

Ever hear of desk duty?
post #3 of 71 (permalink) Old 08-28-10, 07:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen.ahab View Post
Ever hear of desk duty?
thats all I have to say but it won't let me post it for being under 10 characters so I decided to post this extensive sentence on it

post #4 of 71 (permalink) Old 08-28-10, 07:31 AM

yanlou's Flag is: United Kingdom

i think most marines who reach a certain age will go on a final crusade or something like that, in the novel Angels of Darkness the apothecary is on about doing something like that as hes 600 yrs old(i think im remembering it rightly).
i think its also down to the custom of the chapter, one example i can think of is the novel Salamander, where one the marines(cant remember his name) leaves everything behind and goes on a journey in the wild lands of Nocturne.
I don't many old marines are interned just because of old age, i think that's reserved for certain hero's of the chapter.
post #5 of 71 (permalink) Old 08-28-10, 07:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanlou View Post
i think most marines who reach a certain age will go on a final crusade or something like that, in the novel Angels of Darkness the apothecary is on about doing something like that as hes 600 yrs old(i think im remembering it rightly).
i think its also down to the custom of the chapter, one example i can think of is the novel Salamander, where one the marines(cant remember his name) leaves everything behind and goes on a journey in the wild lands of Nocturne.
I don't many old marines are interned just because of old age, i think that's reserved for certain hero's of the chapter.
well my thought was that to live the thousands of years needed for your body to detiriate, through all those campaigns and warriors they would become such a high rank and then enter the dread, but you're right about the apothecary and salamander I completely forgot about them

thanks for contributing

post #6 of 71 (permalink) Old 08-28-10, 08:59 AM

Do Astartes really just deteriorate over time? From the HH novels the opinion of the Marines is that they are functionally immortal; where has this changed? I ask out of real curiosity, not trying to be snarky at all.
I know that the process of making a Marine has become debased and the true meaning lost to mindless repetition and ritual, at least for some Chapters, but has this been shown to reduce the life-expectancy from the HH-era Astartes?
I know that Dante is considered long-lived, an exception amongst even Astartes, but- actually, I'm rambling now. Could someone let me know the fluff-piece that says what life-span Marines can expect? Cheers.

GFP
post #7 of 71 (permalink) Old 08-28-10, 10:11 AM
Feed

All it really says in the marine codex is that most (or all) astartes will die on the battlefield or in space.

The HH series early books make several mentions of astartes supposedly being immortal, but there is a Luna wolf (Qruze?) who is an old terran marine and no longer takes active roles as often as he used to.

It seems to vary depending on source, possibly due to differences in chapters, or maybe just writer inconsistencies, but I don`t think there is a set lifespan for any given space marine. All we have for sure is that the BA seem to live longer, and the traitors in the EOT seem to live indefinitely.

Nonsense is our Salvation

post #8 of 71 (permalink) Old 08-28-10, 10:59 AM

Baron Spikey's Flag is: United Kingdom

I got to thinking, surely over the millennia Astartes have become more human- the geneseed they use has been filtered through hundreds of other Astartes, surely over time the inherent mortality of the humans that become Space Marines would result in some sort of deterioration of the geneseed.

Whereas the heresy era Marines would have had their geneseed almost directly from the font of their genetic lineage- their would be no deterioration.
post #9 of 71 (permalink) Old 08-28-10, 11:18 AM
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

Going off your theory there perhaps explains how the Blood Angels live so long? as they all get blood transfusions from the Sanguinary Priests who got transfusions from the ones before them etc leading to Sanguinius. Sure its been filtered down aswell but it's still gonna be a little more pure than the others
post #10 of 71 (permalink) Old 08-28-10, 12:06 PM
GrizBe's Flag is: England

Well currently the oldest 'living' space marine is Comander Dante of the Blood Angels. He's comanded them for over 1100 years now given current fluff, so is much older then that, and he's still up and active.

I think most space marines will die in battle before they get too old and become a hinderance.

Bjorn the Fell-handed is the oldest still active Loyalist space marine,being over 10,000 years old now. But being a venerable dreadnaught, he has been known to have 1000year long sleeps.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode