Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Old Marines

14K views 70 replies 32 participants last post by  Angel of Blood 
#1 ·
so I just realized this.

Space Marines aren't immortal and they do detiriate just at a much slower rate than normal humans so this leads me to my epiphany

when a Marine becomes so old that he hinders the army what happens to him? I would expect that after so many battles if a marine lives that long they would just hook em up to a dreadnaught

any other opinions?

#69 ·
I don't think the imperial scientists knew for sure that astartes were immortal. Like I mentioned earlier, Ahriman says in A Thousand Sonsthat it was assumed that they were immortal but that at that stage (only 200 years into the crusade) it was too early to tell for sure. I mean, a modern astartes can easily live for 200 years providing they don't die in battle.

As for Cruze, maybe he just looked old because he was battle worn. I remember in the one book, can't rememner which one, the one remembrancer remarked that Loken looked like he had aged several years in the space of a few months while taking part in a particularly brutal campaign against another human empire.

#70 ·
Angel of Blood,

True, but then "False Gods" specifically states he is Cthonian.

Chompy Bits,

When it comes to a normal person making a casual observation, sure, it might not look like someone aged in the few years Ahriman or Garro, etc., spent on Terra. We're talking about scientists, though, who would have made that observation following clinical analysis. If your cells aren't featuring the decay/destruction cycles that indicate aging, then they're not. Aging six, seven, or eight times slower isn't something you're going to miss.

Either way, I had an opportunity to check out the first Index Astartes article again, specifically the ones on the Codex Astartes and the making on Space Marines. It states that "administrative" functions are often undertaken by Marines of "advanced" years. This pretty much correlates with what the Blood Angels Index Astartes article states about them being long-lived.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.