Death Korps, Pointless? - Page 4 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-20-10, 03:31 AM
Craw-Daddy
 
ckcrawford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,416
Reputation: 29
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanlou View Post
sorry but i have to disagree that the U.S has more experience then the british army, the british army is alot older it has been around for 100s of years , in various forms, and also sorry to but i disagree with you on the count of U.S marines been equal to Royal Marines, Royal Marines are far better, altho i agree on numbers and tech and that we have the better tank.

anyway siege warfare will always be around in some form or other, no matter how advanced we get.
ouch, insult me why don't yah!

Its all about the M16 A4. Oorah Marine Corp!
ckcrawford is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-20-10, 04:20 AM
Senior Member
 
Davidicus 40k's Avatar
Davidicus 40k's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Amurrikah!
Posts: 1,075
Reputation: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanlou View Post
...altho i agree on numbers and tech and that we have the better tank.
Wait... you're from the UK apparently, are you saying you have numbers and tech and the better tank? Or the US does?

Because that'd be silly. In my opinion, Israelis have the best military tech. We have tons of expensive stuff that we hardly deploy; they develop stuff to use every day.


"Consequence of Mercy" - Written for KingOfCheese
Davidicus 40k is offline  
post #33 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-20-10, 04:27 AM
Grand Lord Munchkin
 
gen.ahab's Avatar
gen.ahab's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ivins, Utah, USA
Posts: 7,044
Reputation: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidicus 40k View Post
Wait... you're from the UK apparently, are you saying you have numbers and tech and the better tank? Or the US does?

Because that'd be silly. In my opinion, Israelis have the best military tech. We have tons of expensive stuff that we hardly deploy; they develop stuff to use every day.
The US has better numbers and tech and the brits have a better tank. Israelis basically use crap we sold them. The US has the best tech.
gen.ahab is offline  
 
post #34 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-20-10, 04:48 AM
Member
 
Sarge1447's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 39
Reputation: 1
Default

All of you are wrong. The UN would win the fight. They'd simply use harsh rhetoric until both the UK and US feel bad and surrender And if that didn't work, economic sanctions!
Sarge1447 is offline  
post #35 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-20-10, 07:34 AM
Boc
Like a Bawss
 
Boc's Avatar
Boc's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Georgia, USA
Posts: 4,111
Reputation: 47
Default

All of you are wrong, this is about the practicality of siege warfare in the 41st millenium, not 'who would win in a fight out of two countries that wouldn't fight against one another in this era anyways.' Now, back to siege warfare which, I completely agree, is best seen through reading Storm of Iron or, to a lesser extent, Rynn's World.


Heresy-Online's Expeditious Stories Challenge 13-06: "Serenity" has started, get your stories in by July 11th!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanner94ezekiel View Post
3. Nothing Boc said should ever be taken seriously. Unless he's talking about being behind you. Then you run like fuck.
Boc is offline  
post #36 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-20-10, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
dragonkingofthestars's Avatar
dragonkingofthestars's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bandon Oregon
Posts: 1,101
Reputation: 7
Default

I recomend starting a new thread off topic section on best miltary,, heck i start it if you wish.

note: if you see me giving tactical advice: just assume i have a internet tab open to 1d4 chan and I'm summarizing off of that.

Avatar done by Bulhakov
dragonkingofthestars is offline  
post #37 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-20-10, 10:33 AM
blahblahblahblah
 
Stella Cadente's Avatar
Stella Cadente's Flag is: Zaire
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: blahblahblahblah
Posts: 6,663
Reputation: 10
Default

wow, really turned into a massive mess of incorrect information and patrotic penis wiggling.

but siege warfare hey, that would be an interesting topic to see someone talk about, maybe involving the DK of...............oh hang on a minute

Stella Cadente is offline  
post #38 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-20-10, 11:40 AM
Senior Member
 
Grins1878's Avatar
Grins1878's Flag is: United Kingdom
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Slitherpool, UK
Posts: 1,018
Reputation: 9
Heh, patriotic penis wiggling! Awesome term man! haha

I have nothing to add to the seige debate as all points have been covered, and tank wise German Leopard > UK and US tanks imo.

Just spat coke all over my desk lolling at the term PPW... man! :-D

"I no longer think of them as animals Ahmuz, though I once did. I now think of them as the purest of us all. Incorruptable. Single-minded. The perfection of my father's vision." - Magnus the Red.
Grins1878 is offline  
post #39 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-20-10, 03:55 PM
Senior Member
 
Turkeyspit's Avatar
Turkeyspit's Flag is: Canada
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 262
Reputation: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Spikey View Post
No Britain doesn't use SU-37's, we use the Eurofighter Typhoon.

I would just like to point out it wasn't the US or UK who dealt the serious blow to Germany in WWII (well we gave them a bloody nose in the Battle of Britain, with the help of the Poles of course), it was the Soviet Union who really crushed Hitler's forces.
Sorry to disagree with you Spikey, but being a history major, I can confidently state that it was Hitler 'who really crushed Hitler's forces'.
Turkeyspit is offline  
post #40 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-20-10, 05:36 PM
Senior Member
 
Belthazor Aurellius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 263
Reputation: 2
Default

Turkeyspit, good point on who really crushed Hitler's army. A megalomaniac, weilding the army Hitler had, and making the foolish choice to fight the war on two fronts was exactly what caused Hitler to lose the war.

As to why siege warfare still exists, may I add a quote?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella Cadente View Post
War never changes...
I like the line partly 'cause I played Fallout 3 and loved it, but also because it's true. War will not change, just evolve. Siege tactics in the 41st millenium are possible because of things like anti-air, anti-tank and anti-infantry, sure. But, let's not forget anti-orbital, anti-torpedo and anti-nuke technology, shall we?

In Storm of Iron, it is made clear how a siege could still be possible. Void Shields.

Void shields become the critical assault-stopper, forcing siege to begin where orbital bombardment, drop pods and bombers would have been deployed otherwise. Void shields allegedly can survive anything, if they have enough power and enough generators.

Of course, even if a city isn't void-shielded, if it is valuable enough, the invading commanders won't want to just level the place. Hellsreach on Armageddon is a good example of this. The Armageddon Steel Legion, Black Templars and other forces fought a hard battle against the Orks to keep the hive city. Orks wanted Hellsreach for looting purposes, and were more interested in fighting the inhabitants than simply destroying the hive. Imperial defenders were protecting Imperial Citizenry and government property, but more importantly, they were holding off the Orks, who, if able to take Hellsreach, would have had a stronger foothold in the region to launch assaults on other nearby hives.

The Death Corp of Kreig are not obsolete in the 41st millenium, because, aside from the reasons listed above, they also come from a world whose primary tactic for centuries was "nuke the other guy"... If their siege tactics could survive the war on their world, the Imperium can definitely use them.

That and it's also a game. It's a game where some people want to play siege tactics without playing WHFB. It's a game where it's fun to play battles to destroy a shield generator, or a city gate, or bypass a trench system. So, even with some decent rhetoric to back up the use of siege tactics, we don't even need it. Because it's supposed to be fun to lob artillery over a trench, and see who you hit. (Also, simply because the technology is so backwards, it's a more reliable tactic to duck into a trench, unless you're being hit by whirlwind cover-ignoring incendiary missiles...)
Belthazor Aurellius is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome