a simple question about the bolter! - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-11-10, 02:01 AM Thread Starter

dewn_moutain's Flag is: USA

Icon a simple question about the bolter!

Ok. So I am sitting earlier today on my lunch break looking at the SM codex, casually ignoring the mock jibs thrown my way for playing this game, when it dawns on me...

WHAT THE HECK IS WRONG WITH THE BOLTER??

Now, what i mean is, take a look at the bolter. now look at it some more. now take a good HARD look at it. Notice anything off? ill offer a hint, Its the ejection port.
Now, i know the stats behind the bolter; it fires a .75 caliber, miniature rocket propelled, fin stabilized explosive warhead round out to a range of (roughly) 450 meters accurately {gw never really specified the max range or anything like that}. It can come in different ammo patters, the dragonfire, the kraken round, the hellfire, etc, which is awesome. i love reading about that lil tidbits of fluff. but i really want to know, how does the gun work.
You look at it, and the first thing i see is how the ejection port is nearly at the top of the gun, and not in-line with the barrel. And then i look at the pictures of the gun in action, and i see these really small shell casings coming out and i compare it to the barrel of the gun; total mismatch of sizes.

So, has anyone, at any time, read in a previous WD or BL book that makes mention of how this great weapon works?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-11-10, 02:50 AM

Bolters use the same science as spaceships that travel through hell and allow teenagers to be transformed into nine-foot tall genetic supermen with direct neural interfaces to their unobtanium powered armour, to fight extragalactic bioengineered killing machines and sapce fungus bovver boys.

Don't think about it too hard, basically. It's a submachine gun that fires caseless explosive minimissiles, because at the outset 40k was hilariously, ridiculously over-the-top.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-11-10, 02:54 AM
Grand Lord Munchkin

gen.ahab's Flag is: USA

Except that it does have cases. We had a thread about this a while back and basically it amounted to "it's a caseless explosive sometimes."

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-11-10, 03:00 AM
Pally-HO!!!!

Captain Galus's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by forkbanger View Post
because at the outset 40k was hilariously, ridiculously over-the-top.
It's not anymore?

The bolter is also supposed to fire caseless rounds, but in the pictures you always see bolters ejecting casings like it's going out of style. Also, they're supposedly deuterium-filled. Deuterium is a radioactively stable isotope of hydrogen, and according to my sources that's both physically impossible and a terrible idea for an explosive payload.

But, hey, chainswords!!!

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-11-10, 03:18 AM
hailene's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Galus View Post
It's not anymore?

The bolter is also supposed to fire caseless rounds, but in the pictures you always see bolters ejecting casings like it's going out of style. Also, they're supposedly deuterium-filled. Deuterium is a radioactively stable isotope of hydrogen, and according to my sources that's both physically impossible and a terrible idea for an explosive payload.

But, hey, chainswords!!!
It uses a depleted uranium core, not deuterium filled. I couldn't find any type of bolt filled with deuterium in it.

I'm no nuclear physicists, but deuterium can be used in fusion reactions with tritium or itself.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-11-10, 03:24 AM

Baron Spikey's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by hailene View Post
It uses a depleted uranium core, not deuterium filled. I couldn't find any type of bolt filled with deuterium in it.

I'm no nuclear physicists, but deuterium can be used in fusion reactions with tritium or itself.
You've obviously not seen the 3rd Edition BRB then where it states that Bolts use depleted Deuterium.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-11-10, 03:36 AM

Deuterium, in larger quantities, yes... like a compressed cylinder, roughly twice the size of a camping propane canister, with a microwave-emitting detonation device and a rip-cord primer handle. This, we call the meltabomb.

Or, on a weaker scale, in massive magneto-resonance chambers housed inside bulky gun-casings, deuterium can be superheated by electricity, then sprayed forward by the magnetic field, producing the effect of a bolt of bluish white plasma gas, racing towards an ork.

Or an even bigger scale, Kawasaki Ninja sized body of ceramic unobtanium-lined inter-stellar torpedo able to survive entry through an atmosphere, containing roughly a one ton TNT equivalent hydrogen bomb without the radiation.. This, we call a melta torpedo.

Back on the subject of Deuterium as a core, in the 3rd ed BGB (the paperback thing they stopped selling maybe 8 years ago?) showed a model of the bolter round, I think, or perhaps it was that edition's space marine codex. Either way, in the old design, it was recorded as deuterium, but I'm sure GW changed the name to depleted uranium when they realized that it was widely known that deuterium was just hydrogen with an extra neutron.

As to the caseless issue. I have seen a lot of diagrams showing bolter shells and their casings. In some, the casing is very short, just enough tubing around the bolter shell to hold it there until the primer is triggered, but in other cases, the casing is much longer, housing about half the rocket fuel inside the casing. I would presume this has to do with ammo stability and making sure the backing (and used primer) are ejected properly without any jamming issues. With an actual casing, you have something big to fish out when it jams, if you have a small back plate with the spent primer, you have little to reach for, and probably won't be able to dislodge it.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-11-10, 03:42 AM
hailene's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Spikey View Post
You've obviously not seen the 3rd Edition BRB then where it states that Bolts use depleted Deuterium.
After some research, I stand corrected.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-11-10, 04:09 AM

Baron Spikey's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belthazor Aurellius View Post
Deuterium, in larger quantities, yes... like a compressed cylinder, roughly twice the size of a camping propane canister, with a microwave-emitting detonation device and a rip-cord primer handle. This, we call the meltabomb.

Or, on a weaker scale, in massive magneto-resonance chambers housed inside bulky gun-casings, deuterium can be superheated by electricity, then sprayed forward by the magnetic field, producing the effect of a bolt of bluish white plasma gas, racing towards an ork.

Or an even bigger scale, Kawasaki Ninja sized body of ceramic unobtanium-lined inter-stellar torpedo able to survive entry through an atmosphere, containing roughly a one ton TNT equivalent hydrogen bomb without the radiation.. This, we call a melta torpedo.

Back on the subject of Deuterium as a core, in the 3rd ed BGB (the paperback thing they stopped selling maybe 8 years ago?) showed a model of the bolter round, I think, or perhaps it was that edition's space marine codex. Either way, in the old design, it was recorded as deuterium, but I'm sure GW changed the name to depleted uranium when they realized that it was widely known that deuterium was just hydrogen with an extra neutron.
I'm looking for some where where the bolter uses depleted uranium and other than lexicanum I can't find one...so until proven otherwise GW hasn't retconned the Depleted Deuterium core of a bolt shell. (plus it was 6 years ago since 3rd Edition not 8)
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-11-10, 04:32 AM

Loki1416's Flag is: USA

[QUOTE=forkbanger;698009]Bolters use the same science as spaceships that travel through hell and allow teenagers to be transformed into nine-foot tall genetic supermen with direct neural interfaces to their unobtanium powered armour, to fight extragalactic bioengineered killing machines and sapce fungus bovver boys.

That is the best, well thought out answer I have ever read! For whatever reason, I laughed my ass off! Have a couple rep for makin me laugh!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode