Random Questions - Page 91 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #901 of 1113 (permalink) Old 03-05-12, 12:52 PM

Thank you very much

I know enough to be dangerous
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 1113 (permalink) Old 03-10-12, 02:33 PM

Ok, if a Space Marine Chapter was devastated, say 50% casualties, with geneseed unrecoverable, but they were deemed worthy of being rebuilt... how would they go about it?

Would they remove the second progenoid from the living Space Marines, and slowly rebuild?

Would they use slaves like how the original 1,000 were created, slowly replicating them?

Would the High Lords of Terra gift them additional geneseed to rebuild their numbers, creating a mix of geneseed?

Combination of all three, depending on the Chapter, era, what side of bed people woke up on?

Thanks

post #903 of 1113 (permalink) Old 03-11-12, 12:47 AM
Feed

Typically they'd use whatever means they could, but it would undoubtedly be a slow process. The Ultramarines took several centuries to recover their lost First Company to full strength after the first Tyrannic War.

Nonsense is our Salvation

post #904 of 1113 (permalink) Old 03-12-12, 01:37 AM Thread Starter

Androxine Vortex's Flag is: USA

I read on LEX that prior to the heresy that the Imperial Fists had clashed with the Alpha Legion many times but the nature of these clashes were unknown.

Just wondered if anyone has any info on this?

+MAY THE DARK GODS BLESS YOU WITH MANY TENTACLES+
post #905 of 1113 (permalink) Old 03-12-12, 02:52 AM

Dicrel Seijin's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMPNOR View Post
Would they remove the second progenoid from the living Space Marines, and slowly rebuild?
They can't do this. A SM without his progenoid begins to slowly die. And some Chapters (the Silver Skulls being one) no longer consider that person a Space Marine.

Quote:
Would they use slaves like how the original 1,000 were created, slowly replicating them?
Possible, but I haven't read where a Chapter (as opposed to others) have done this. It would just be easier to recruit and implant scouts, that way you're building your effective forces up.

Quote:
Would the High Lords of Terra gift them additional geneseed to rebuild their numbers, creating a mix of geneseed?
Each Chapter does give over a 5% tithe, so they could request their own geneseed from the stockpile. Whether this could happen, I don't know.

"Oh, you can have as much violence as you want, but no swearing and absolutely no sex." --Bruce Campbell

Fiction: Beneath Our Feet | From Darkness... | Elements of Order, Ep 1, Pt 1, Sec 1 & 2 (MLP: FiM) | Iron Grot | Only War

Projects: Waaagh! Dicrel: Bad Moons Rising | Dicrel's Ork Base Works-In-Progress Log
post #906 of 1113 (permalink) Old 03-12-12, 03:07 AM

Quote:
They can't do this. A SM without his progenoid begins to slowly die. And some Chapters (the Silver Skulls being one) no longer consider that person a Space Marine.
This is being discussed in another thread, so I'm not going to say it isn't possible. That there isn't enough information, and what there is seems to conflict. So it might be possible, might not be.

post #907 of 1113 (permalink) Old 03-12-12, 03:10 AM

Baron Spikey's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicrel Seijin View Post
Not heard that before. As soon as they're matured they can be removed without detriment as far as I know.

Quote:
Possible, but I haven't read where a Chapter (as opposed to others) have done this. It would just be easier to recruit and implant scouts, that way you're building your effective forces up.
The slaves are how a Chapter is created in the first place, thousands of humans are implanted with geneseed and the various organs are harvested ready to be surgically implanted in aspirants in a newly founded Chapter.
post #908 of 1113 (permalink) Old 03-12-12, 07:11 AM

Speaking of those slaves.... how do the numbers work out? I mean, I read it takes over half a century(i saw 55 years) to create those 1,000.

Given that progenoids absorb the genes from other organs, are all organs implanted? I guess then they don't follow the strict protocols regarding implantation?

post #909 of 1113 (permalink) Old 03-12-12, 12:35 PM

Dicrel Seijin's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Spikey View Post
Not heard that before. As soon as they're matured they can be removed without detriment as far as I know.
The OP is referring to the second progenoid, so the SM would actually have no progenoid left.

In the Gildar Rift, the Silver Skulls actually discuss what they're going to do with one of their own, which this happens to. I haven't come across another similar situation, but I haven't read all of Black Library (yet ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Spikey View Post
The slaves are how a Chapter is created in the first place, thousands of humans are implanted with geneseed and the various organs are harvested ready to be surgically implanted in aspirants in a newly founded Chapter.
Not disputing that, but the OP is asking about an existing Chapter, not a new one.

Considering the ritual and tradition that has built up around the implantation process in every Chapter I've read about, I can't see (not saying it isn't possible) a Chapter implanting slaves when they can just implant initiates/novitiates and begin rebuilding immediately.

Quote:
Speaking of those slaves.... how do the numbers work out? I mean, I read it takes over half a century(i saw 55 years) to create those 1,000.
This is usually the number of years cited. Which is why I think it would make more sense for an understrength Chapter to recruit and implant initiates to rebuild their scout and reserve companies as soon as possible. Since even being understrength is no excuse not to go out on missions.

Quote:
Given that progenoids absorb the genes from other organs, are all organs implanted? I guess then they don't follow the strict protocols regarding implantation?
I don't believe all organs are implanted since that would make the slave (I'm assuming implantation in slaves is what you are referring to) as close to a space marine recruit as makes no difference.

I haven't come across any story where the AdMech are creating a new Chapter, which I assume would detail the process.

"Oh, you can have as much violence as you want, but no swearing and absolutely no sex." --Bruce Campbell

Fiction: Beneath Our Feet | From Darkness... | Elements of Order, Ep 1, Pt 1, Sec 1 & 2 (MLP: FiM) | Iron Grot | Only War

Projects: Waaagh! Dicrel: Bad Moons Rising | Dicrel's Ork Base Works-In-Progress Log
post #910 of 1113 (permalink) Old 03-12-12, 12:45 PM

Quote:
The OP is referring to the second progenoid, so the SM would actually have no progenoid left.

In the Gildar Rift, the Silver Skulls actually discuss what they're going to do with one of their own, which this happens to. I haven't come across another similar situation, but I haven't read all of Black Library (yet ).

Not disputing that, but the OP is asking about an existing Chapter, not a new one.

Considering the ritual and tradition that has built up around the implantation process in every Chapter I've read about, I can't see (not saying it isn't possible) a Chapter implanting slaves when they can just implant initiates/novitiates and begin rebuilding immediately.

But really, that last bit was about how 1,000 progenoids are created in a 55 year period. Just trying to do the math.

This is usually the number of years cited. Which is why I think it would make more sense for an understrength Chapter to recruit and implant initiates to rebuild their scout and reserve companies as soon as possible. Since even being understrength is no excuse not to go out on missions.

I don't believe all organs are implanted since that would make the slave (I'm assuming implantation in slaves is what you are referring to) as close to a space marine recruit as makes no difference.

I haven't come across any story where the AdMech are creating a new Chapter, which I assume would detail the process.
But if you don't implant all organs, how is the new progenoid created? I mean, there's more to being a Space Marine then just receiving the geneseed, so perhaps the slaves are kept in a kind of stasis, where the organs are implanted, but maybe done in such a manner that they offer no real benefit to the slave. I dunno.

But that last bit was about trying to make the numbers work, how 1k are created in approx 55 years.

Last edited by COMPNOR; 03-12-12 at 12:51 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode