Random Questions - Page 5 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 1113 (permalink) Old 08-19-10, 12:20 AM

Stephen_Newman's Flag is: United Kingdom

I believe that normally melta weapons do discharge a visible light.

In ""Path of the Warrior" a squad of fire dragons in some fortifications fire red hot beams of light on the orks and their transports. So I believe the light is a volcanic red in colour.

I have recently started a new Blog. I would really appreciate it if you would LOOK AT IT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 1113 (permalink) Old 08-20-10, 09:19 PM

NiceGuyEddy's Flag is: Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belthazor Aurellius View Post
Well, the Adepta Sororitas fit antigrav suspensors to their heavy bolters to make them less unweildy (50lb heavy bolter instead of its actual 150lb weight)... I would imagine the Inquisition has access to such suspensors,
Yeah they definitely do. An inquisitors interrogator uses a pair of them to wield a man-sized sword when duelling sarprdon in the first soul drinkers novel.

My question would be what is the point in hitting someone with a hammer that didn't weigh all that much?

Edit: Never mind, forgot that power weapons dont really rely on weight.

Last edited by NiceGuyEddy; 08-20-10 at 09:26 PM.
post #43 of 1113 (permalink) Old 08-20-10, 10:11 PM

Well, I'm not good with math, but I seem to recall that inertia is measured by mass, not weight. So, even if an object only weighs half what it should (100kg sword weighing only 110lb instead of 220lb), it will still hit with the same force regardless of weight, why? Because you're not always dropping the eviscerator on their head, you're sometimes smashing it sideways, or if you do drop it down, you might pull it down faster than gravity with your abs, legs, arms and back, causing its speed to increase beyond what gravity would do anyways. An Eviscerator has chainsaw blades with monomolecular edges. If you give someone an equally sized sword with a power field on it? Watch out, they'll rend tanks and titans if they can get close enough!

post #44 of 1113 (permalink) Old 08-20-10, 11:26 PM

NiceGuyEddy's Flag is: Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belthazor Aurellius View Post
Well, I'm not good with math, but I seem to recall that inertia is measured by mass, not weight. So, even if an object only weighs half what it should (100kg sword weighing only 110lb instead of 220lb), it will still hit with the same force regardless of weight, why? Because you're not always dropping the eviscerator on their head, you're sometimes smashing it sideways, or if you do drop it down, you might pull it down faster than gravity with your abs, legs, arms and back, causing its speed to increase beyond what gravity would do anyways. An Eviscerator has chainsaw blades with monomolecular edges. If you give someone an equally sized sword with a power field on it? Watch out, they'll rend tanks and titans if they can get close enough!
+Rep for that. I'm an economist, it rarely comes in handy, so I unlearned most of my physics upon graduation.
post #45 of 1113 (permalink) Old 08-29-10, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Androxine Vortex's Flag is: USA

When daemons materialize into our universe, how long can they stay there? (After a time, do they just phase back intot eh warp?)

+MAY THE DARK GODS BLESS YOU WITH MANY TENTACLES+
post #46 of 1113 (permalink) Old 08-30-10, 11:03 AM
Feed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Androxine Vortex View Post
When daemons materialize into our universe, how long can they stay there? (After a time, do they just phase back intot eh warp?)
Depends on a multitude of factors:

Strength and proximity of nearby warp rifts if any.
Strength of the barriers between warp and realspace. This in turn depends on number of psykers in the area. Sects or cults of worshippers can also help.
Any ritual summoning spells can maintain them indefinitely so long as the spell is continually powered.

So for example, a typical world with a low rate of psykers may only provide a small window for daemonic incursion, lasting only months or weeks.

A stronger window (high ratio of vulnerable psykers or cultists) could doom a world for years or centuries, and a world such as those within the EoT or Maelstrom will sustain daemons forever.

This is of course, a very generalised view of it, given from the opinion of someone who has a very scientific way of looking at things. (necron player...) Someone else may be able to give a more detailed answer.

CotE?

Nonsense is our Salvation

post #47 of 1113 (permalink) Old 08-30-10, 11:38 AM
Bane of Empires

Child-of-the-Emperor's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Androxine Vortex View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpion5 View Post
Someone else may be able to give a more detailed answer.

CotE?

You pretty much said what needed to be said Serpion, but to add to your point:

In order for a Daemon to break through into the mortal universe there must be a weakening of the barriers between Warpspace and Realspace (a Warp Rift). These Warp Rifts can occur randomly/naturally or they can be manufactured by a Chaos Power or knowledgeable mortal on either side. These Warp Rifts vary tremendously, from a slight thinning in the dimensional wall that may allow a single Daemon to extend some of its power and influence into the mortal realm to commune with or possess an individual, to vast tears in reality that entire, limitless hosts of Daemons may pour through. Of such value these rifts are, that entire wars are fought for control and possession of them in the warp.

As I said above, Warp Rifts either occur naturally/randomly, or are manufactured by a Chaos Power or a mortal. But there are other circumstances which can bring one about unintentionally; Warp drive implosions is a good example, uncontrolled and rogue psykers can unintentionally bring about rifts, as can cataclysmic wars (which spread death on a massive scale) which disturb the ebb and flow of the warp itself.

To further clarify how a warp rift can be opened by a Chaos God: it doesn't take a lot of energy at all for a Chaos God to open a small rift to allow a single or small number of daemons through into realspace, but a Chaos God will only rarely architect a rift big enough to engineer a full-scale daemonic incursion (which in itself can leave entire sectors devastated) because it may leave him vulnerable to the power and influence of his rival gods, and in the process may be at a disadvantage in the Great Game (by expending such amounts of energy).

As for how long daemonic incursions last after a warp rift has been opened, it varies. Some rifts which vomit forth entire legions of daemons may only last mere moments, the daemons becoming immediately trapped in the material realm and who will quickly succumb to the constant leeching of chaos energy as the rift closes. But essentially it is random and unpredictable, rifts may last seconds, days, years or even centuries. Some warp rifts have endured so long that they can be considered permanent, their energies now self-sustaining (Eg. The Eye of Terror and Maelstrom).

Daemonic invasions are all but impossible to stop by conventional means, the very act of warring against them feeds their own power, and considering large rifts mean they are limitless in number ensures its impossible to defeat them. Only by the closing of the warp rift can a daemonic incursion be defeated, and for the most part there is no way to do this except to let it run its natural course. Once the rift begins to close daemonic legions are at their most violent and dangerous, sensing that their time in realspace is almost up they enact even greater acts of genocide and chaos, and the defenders will ultimately suffer much more before the rift finally seals.

So in answer to the question, it varies greatly. Depending on the strength and way in which the warp rift was brought about, it could be hours or days or it could be centuries, or in the most rarest of cases it could be forever.
arthur.bobany likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cegorach View Post
I do love how we don't even need CotE to comment anymore, chances are he has already said something intelligent before that can be re-applied to the current situation.
Heresy's Background FAQ. (Fluff Project)
CotE Reviews: Prospero Burns (HH Review), Age of Darkness (HH Review).
post #48 of 1113 (permalink) Old 08-30-10, 11:43 AM
Feed

See, what`d I tell ya? Detailed the living shit out of it, he did!

post #49 of 1113 (permalink) Old 08-31-10, 02:27 AM Thread Starter

Androxine Vortex's Flag is: USA

How powerfull does a daemon or a chaos sorrceror/cult have to be to open up a rift? (i know it all depends on how large it is and how powerfull the psychic force is but try to explain it if you can)

+MAY THE DARK GODS BLESS YOU WITH MANY TENTACLES+
post #50 of 1113 (permalink) Old 08-31-10, 09:16 AM
Feed

In DoW Tembest (third book in the series) Ahriman and his cabal manage to open up a fair diddley of a warp portal to hack into the webway and find their way to a harlequin planet.

From the Cabal`s view, Ahriman cojures the power by himself, but in reality his is being aided by unseen daemons which are slaved to his will by arcane knowledge.

Knowledge is power. And he guards it well.

So, to answer your question, it really depends on how talented the individual(s) in question are. A sorcerer like Ahriman would have little trouble damning a world if he really put his mind to it (which thankfully he hasn`t) but a lesser sorcerer may only manage a temporary seance.

Likewise from a daemon`s view, it would depend on his strength relative to the psykers` in the chosen area.

A backwater world with a recent emergence of psyker births would be easy prey for any decent greater daemon to crack. But a world full of trained and conditioned psykers (think GK on Titan) would be utterly impossible. <cough>

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode