Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Random Questions

125K views 1K replies 169 participants last post by  Brother Emund 
#1 ·
Do you have any questions that don't really seem to fit any other threads and feel it wouldn't be worth making a new one just for it? I thought it would be neat to make this thread for everybody so I'll start off...

How long does it aprox take to become a space marine? This includes everything from after being selected until being part ov a chapter. And also, how long do techmarines have to train on Mars?

#151 ·
Is Chaos sort of dependant on humans for our emotion and ability to become corrupted? For example, they only want to destroy the Imperium but not all human beings?

And why is Chaos SO fixated on humans? Why not go after other races as much as they do with us?

#152 · (Edited)
Is Chaos sort of dependant on humans for our emotion and ability to become corrupted?
We assume that they are dependant on humanity to an extent, and on mortals as a whole entirely. But that is assuming that they have not reached a point of self sufficiency.

As long as a single mortal exists who is capable of feeling any shade of emotion that represents the Four then they will exist.

Of course though, you could always throw in the age-old argument regarding the warp. The Chaos Gods are eternal within the warp, they exist in the past, present and future (although such concepts probably don't exist within it's boundaries) simultaneously, if all life in the galaxy was wiped out in an instant, the Four would plausably still exist in some incomprehensible form.

For example, they only want to destroy the Imperium but not all human beings?
Who said they want to destroy the Imperium? They wanted to incapacitate the Emperor who was a threat to them and challenged the 'eternal flow of emotion across aeons' thus they removed said threat via the wars of the Horus Heresy. It's never been noted that they wish to see the Imperium destroyed and I can't think of any real reason why they would.

And why is Chaos SO fixated on humans? Why not go after other races as much as they do with us?
Several reasons currently. Because humanity is weak and easily corrupted, their only chance of true resistance has already failed, they are probably the most numerous mortal race that has potential in Chaos (Orks and Tyranids don't for example), they are a psychic race with a significant imprint on the warp - which is also slowly growing as humanity evolves closer to it's psychic potential, they are one of - if not the most dominant race in the galaxy currently, Et cetera.

But Chaos is still very interested in other races and species, the Eldar for example take top priority for Slaanesh and her daemons.

#156 ·
Eldar were created after the fall of the necrontyr as a weapon against the necrons. At least 60-70 million years ago, but more likely a lot earlier.

I am not aware of any eldar ever being immortal other than th dark eldar, and that comes at a price.

The eldar inherited the webway from the Old Ones after their civilisation collapsed.

#160 ·
I'll add a bit more, the Eldar were able to reincarnate up until the Warp became turbulent and the Nightbringer left it's mark on every race's soul/psyche (excepting the Orks) with a fear of death, closing off reincarnation to the children of Isha.

We don't really have a time frame for the War in heaven but it must have been going on for millions of years considering how ancient the Old Ones and Necrontyr races were.

#161 ·
I'll add a bit more, the Eldar were able to reincarnate up until the Warp became turbulent and the Nightbringer left it's mark on every race's soul/psyche (excepting the Orks) with a fear of death, closing off reincarnation to the children of Isha.
Wow, I never knew that they had the ability to reincarnate before. Dude, really, how the hell do you know so much? I'm really jealous.

#163 ·
I wish I could do that. Sadly for me, WH40k & WHFB isn't really big in SA so it's a real bitch trying to get any shit here (not to mention REALLY fucking expensive). Whenever I wanna get books etc, I end up having to order them online and have to wait weeks for them to arrive (which still ends up being REALLY fucking expensive).

#164 ·
Hmmm, Im a bit hesitant to ask this question as I dont want to get flamed.

Im sure we all know the theory that Sigmar was one of the lost primarchs, and Im well aware of the fact that GW categorically denies this. But what I want to know is: from an in universe perspective is their any fluff that makes this theory impossible? Either 40k or FB fluff

#165 ·
Yes, disregarding anything GW have officially stated, the Heldenhammer trilogy from the Time of Legends series goes into great depth regarding Sigmar.

He has a biological father and mother, he is neither bigger or stronger than most of the warriors in his tribe, it's his ambition and drive that mark him apart from his fellows rather than any physical/intellectual superiority.

#168 ·
Heldenhammer is one of the best BL books I have ever read, but it reads like a match of SWAT- fuck load of head shots.

#181 ·
Does anybody know how big the Deathwatch chapter is? I know the Grey Knights are 3000 strong so I'm assuming that the Deathwatch, as another ordo militant, probably also doesn't adhere to codex standards.

#182 · (Edited)
The Deathwatch isnt a chapter, the marines are recruited from different chapters and put together in an ad-hoc fashion when and where required by an Inquisitor. The killteam is disbanded when the mission is over and then the marines go back to their respective chapter.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Deathwatch

#186 ·
well i have gotten back to writing a bit of fluff and i just need to know, does a daemon prince stay in the material world, (like on a ship or something), or does it go back to the Warp in between battles
would a daemon prince be able to take on 50 grey knights and a Brother Captain.

As you can probably tell i am writing about a DP

#187 · (Edited)
Daemon Princes have all the same vulnerabilities as true daemons, they can only remain strong in the material world if they find some way to gain power (sacrifices, rifts etc).

So yes a daemon prince may be able to stay in real space but it would be vastly weakened over time.

Daemon Prince power levels differ from individual to individual- Voldorius wouldn't have been able to defeat so many Grey Knights, Angron defeated roughly 80 with the help of his 12 strong Bloodthirster bodyguard. Doombreed at his peak could wipe out that many Grey Knights without being slain.
[The paragraph above is my opinion, it's not got a direct quote to support it]

#188 ·
so the more he kills, the more powerful he would become. if he was on his battleship, could he have thousands of prisoners slaughtered to maintain his power? can a DP be put in stasis if he is tied down to the material world with special chains and the like? all of this information would be greatly helpful.

#191 ·
Quozzo said:
The Deathwatch isnt a chapter, the marines are recruited from different chapters and put together in an ad-hoc fashion when and where required by an Inquisitor. The killteam is disbanded when the mission is over and then the marines go back to their respective chapter.

Serpion5 said:
...though they do maintain a standing presence which is on rotation every several years.
Do you mean they return to the deathwatch? If so i did not know that. interesting...

mcmuffin said:
would a daemon prince be able to take on 50 grey knights and a Brother Captain.
In the novel Grey Knights by Ben Counter, A Daemon Prince accompanied by thousands of greater and lesser daemons all located on a planet managed to kill 250 Grey Knights including 3 Grand Masters, 1 Brother Captain (probably more) and several Justicars. If your writting a novel or short story you could say that the DP also had a retinue of greater/lesser daemons but dont give any figures.

#192 ·
Do you mean they return to the deathwatch? If so i did not know that. interesting...
No, they return to their parent Chapters- as in the Deathwatch Marine who originally came from the Space Wolves will return to the Space Wolves etc

In the novel Grey Knights by Ben Counter, A Daemon Prince accompanied by thousands of greater and lesser daemons all located on a planet managed to kill 250 Grey Knights including 3 Grand Masters, 1 Brother Captain (probably more) and several Justicars. If your writting a novel or short story you could say that the DP also had a retinue of greater/lesser daemons but dont give any figures.
That sounds like a really good idea, as long as you remember that only Doombreed or a Daemon Prince approaching his power could potentially take down so many Grey Knights alone (hint- Angron is no where near Doombreed's power level).

#193 ·
ok, thanks for the assist. the general jist is that the DP is imprisoned in stasis on Mimas by the Ordo malleus. he is freed and escapes the GK

#195 ·
He said Ordo Malleus captured it. Not GK. That`s feasible, if the GK were unaware of it and were then forced to hunt it down. Remember that the GK and OM are two seperate organisations, technically. They work so closely together because they have the same goal.

#196 ·
I've read quite a bit of fluff and still cannot pin down how the hierarchical structure of the legions pre-heresy/heresy were designed; also their legion strength in numbers. I've read that legion strength was considered between 10,000-20,000 men strong. Other sources such as the new HH books have stated certain legions were at 100,000 men strong. Most notably the Word Bearers, only the Ultramarines numbered more then them at the time. Are we just to assume each legion had completely different strength in numbers? Where the Word Bears had 100,000 marines and the Ultra's more, The Emperor's Children may of had only 10,000.

What I assume the structure follows is:

1.Primarch
2.1st Company Captain
3.2nd Company Captain through ...(how many companies exist in a legion)?
4.Veteran Sergeant
5.Brother-Sergeant
6.Battle-Brother

I'm not certain where Chaplains, Librarians, Champions, Lord Commanders, and Chapter Masters stand. I know Chaplains were assigned 1 per company alongside the Captain, but are they second is command? Or did that fall on to the Lead Squad Sergeant? Chapter Masters I'm just totally confused with when it comes to the Heresy. Some Legions used them such as the Dark Angels and Word Bearers, but did they hold any rank due to martial prowess, or were they just there to keep things organized? I believe the Chapter Master of the Dark Angels at that time was "Hadariel", (Correct me if I'm wrong, been a while since I've read the DA books) and he was still human. Knowing this means he most certainly could not best any Astartes in Combat.

#197 · (Edited)
Legion organisation varied from Legion to Legion, for example some Legions maintained internal chapter organisations whilst others didn't.

As for Legion sizes, it depends what source you take - some authors use smaller average Legion sizes, but most now seem to use the larger average sizes.

The Collected Visions makes reference to the average Legion size being ~100,000 Astartes strong, with the Ultramarines standing at by far the largest at ~250,000. I would however say it's more likely the average Legion size being anywhere from 50,000 to 99,999 - considering the Word Bearers stood at 100,000 strong and were the second largest legion.

Another example is the Raven Guard who were said to number around 80,000.

There were however notable examples of tiny Legions, them being the Emperor's Children and Thousand Sons - mainly due to genetic defects or a catastrophic accident. The Emperor's Children numbering a few thousand, around 10,000 if memory serves. And the Thousand Sons ultimately numbering little more than 1,000.

#199 ·
There were however notable examples of tiny Legions, them being the Emperor's Children and Thousand Sons - mainly due to genetic defects or a catastrophic accident. The Emperor's Children numbering a few thousand, around 10,000 if memory serves. And the Thousand Sons numbering little more than 1,000.
The Thousand Sons were founded 1,000 strong and after the burning of Prospero only roughly 1,000 were left but in the mean time they peaked at 12,000 Astartes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.