Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Random Questions

125K views 1K replies 169 participants last post by  Brother Emund 
#1 ·
Do you have any questions that don't really seem to fit any other threads and feel it wouldn't be worth making a new one just for it? I thought it would be neat to make this thread for everybody so I'll start off...

How long does it aprox take to become a space marine? This includes everything from after being selected until being part ov a chapter. And also, how long do techmarines have to train on Mars?

#107 ·
wait how come they describe cypher with green armour even though he post to have black armour I mean he was one of the fallen (I mean the dark angel chapter didn't have there color to dark green until after the fallen's were sucked in the warp threw different places and time)?

#108 ·
Because he has probably looted it off a DA corpse.

The armour is designed as a modular system - even older mks of pieces can be made to work with it (hence vets in newer armour with older detailing, helmets, etc).

Otherwise, fluff mistake made by writer.

He should be wearing black, but by the same token, Marines should not be using multilasers either. Some writers just don't know or plain forget (and then there is CS Goto).

#109 ·
I'm wondering 2 noob type things....

can my Guardians take their heavy weapons’ plat on in a Wave Serpent with them? Also if I have 20 Guardians I don't get to add 2 more for the weapons’ platform do I? It’s an upgrade not in addition.. right?

#110 ·
The weapon platform can be taken on a Wave Serpent with the Guardian Squad it does not take up any space. Two of your Guardian squad will be the crew for the Platform anyway, they will go with it the weapons platform is part of the squad as are the two crew members required for it.
(Not sure this is the best place to ask this question though)

#113 ·
Well one way of interpreting the plot at the end of Dark Creed is by viewing it as Lorgar wishing to usurp Abaddon the Despoiler as the Warmaster of Chaos...

#114 ·
I've got about a million questions... I'm only about 0.1% through the books so my knowledge is pretty minimal.

Well I don't understand the whole warp thing at all ...
Where do I start....

What is a webway ? Can humans use them ?

Is the Eldar warp different from the human warp ?

If I looked out the window of my battle cruiser whilst travelling through the warp would it be all purple and swirly ?

If I lived on a planet near a warpy bit of space would I have crazy dreams about demons ?!

Do smaller transport ships have warp... do you NEED to have a 'choir of psykers' to travel through the warp ?

When the Chaos marines 'retreat to the warp' what do they do... are they in a dreamy state !? Or is it the same as the normal plains ?

What about the Dark Elder ? is their Black Fortress in the warp ? Could it be attacked by Elder or Chaos ?

Thanks in advance for the responses

#115 ·
I've got about a million questions... I'm only about 0.1% through the books so my knowledge is pretty minimal.

Well I don't understand the whole warp thing at all ...
Where do I start....

What is a webway ? Can humans use them ?
It like a series of tunnels (that's the best word for it though it's more complex than that) that's sort of partly in the Warp and partly in real space, it allows safe travel across the galaxy much faster than travelling through real space but slower than true warp flight.
Yes humans can use it, anyone can really, and the Eldar didn't build it their creators the Old Ones did.

Is the Eldar warp different from the human warp ?
The Warp is simply that, there aren't different Warps- it's all one encompassing, chaotic realm.

If I looked out the window of my battle cruiser whilst travelling through the warp would it be all purple and swirly ?
If you looked out of a window whilst travelling through warp space you'd go utterly insane, the warp is everything and nothing- it's raw emotion and insanity, it's never the same for any person that looks at it (that's also why the 'windows' on ships passing through are shielded so those aboard can't look through them).

If I lived on a planet near a warpy bit of space would I have crazy dreams about demons ?!
Possibly, your planet would be home to a higher than average number of mutants, your dreams would be unsettled and pervading sense of unnaturalness would permeat the atmosphere.

Do smaller transport ships have warp... do you NEED to have a 'choir of psykers' to travel through the warp ?
You need a Warp Drive to traverse the Warp itself and a Navigator to use the Astronomicon (which is a choir of thousands of psykers directed by the God-Emperor who create a 'guiding light' of psychic power from Terra).
Most large ships have some sort of warp drive, basically only stuff that is small enough to dock within another vessel doesn't have a warp drive.

When the Chaos marines 'retreat to the warp' what do they do... are they in a dreamy state !? Or is it the same as the normal plains ?
They usually retreat to a daemon world, which is a world from real space trapped within the Warp- again the Warp/Immaterium differs depending on the individual viewing it but it's rarely a pleasant place even for Chaos Space Marines.

What about the Dark Elder ? is their Black Fortress in the warp ? Could it be attacked by Elder or Chaos ?
Their largest city, Commorragh, dwells within the darkness of the Webway where Slaanesh's influence is lessened on their souls- in theory anyone could invade it if they had access to the webway and could find it. Usually though the only non dark eldar other than slaves to travel their are the Harlequin Eldar.

Thanks in advance for the responses
No problem dude, I'm here to help :wink:

#117 ·
I had a question about Chaos Furies. In the codex it states that basically if a follower of chaos couldn't pick between dieties he was stuck as a fury when he died. If this is so, would that essentially mean that you become like a free style immortal? Does being a lesser daemon make you immortal?

#124 · (Edited)
Lets say they were landing on concrete or similar.

Well anything that would just about likely outright kill a human can probably be survived by a Space Marine (at least if they intentionally jumped and landed correctly) in power armour, much higher than that though and the Armour is going to suffer some severe damage as it's servos go into overdrive trying to absorb the impact.

I'd say that anything over 30-40m is a death sentence for a Marine even in Power Armour, of course as with the current day sometimes an individual will be just plain lucky and somehow survive.

#127 ·
Yeah, I suppose the tech isn't quite as good as the MKVI armor, but than again it isn't suppose to be. Although that it a different topic all together.

#132 ·
I was just wondering how does the Ordo Hereticus work? I mean, how do they know which planets to check for heresy? Do they just patrol sectors and kinda act like inspectors? do they have spies everywhere and they notify them is there is some trouble afoot? or do they just come if the high command of a planet or system messages them that they have a problem?

Thanks for the help.

#177 · (Edited)
Inquisitor methods

I was just wondering how does the Ordo Hereticus work? I mean, how do they know which planets to check for heresy? Do they just patrol sectors and kinda act like inspectors? do they have spies everywhere and they notify them is there is some trouble afoot? or do they just come if the high command of a planet or system messages them that they have a problem?

Thanks for the help.
In regards to this, good going you've mentioned some of the standard methods used by them. Most Inquisitors have spy networks in place for the areas they watch, they also recieve information from other Inquisitors, planetary governors, and various government agencies. If there is a way to gather intelligence , chances are they use it. Don't forget the purge them all just to be safe method.

#133 ·
The Inquisition has many ways to detect taint.

Spies abound on many worlds, certain organisations know of the hereticus and will refer to them when needed.

Other than this, the inquisitors are always on the lookout for taint, and they and their staff can operate independently across entire sectors sometimes.

I would reccomend reading the eisenhorn omnibus for a good explanation on how the organisation works. :)

#134 ·
Awesome :grin: Thanks for the reply.

I just always wondered, because I read bit of fluff on white dwarf where an inquisitor was greeted by the Governer-general or something when he first landed on the planet he was investigating, and i thought to myself "Surely this isn't how the Ordo hereticus should go about doing their business" because it seems, if you have enough influence in a planet and you follow chaos, you could just not contact the witch hunters :laugh:.

But I digress.

Thanks for the reply again, really clears things up for me :biggrin:.

#135 ·
If slaanesh is a warp god and time is meaningless in the warp, does that mean slaanesh is present before the fall? Can s/he interfere with events before the fall? Does that mean the time stream of 40k would have been different before the fall?

This is making my head hurt

#137 ·
Thanks Serpion, but Snoopy already acknowledged that. :p

Can s/he interfere with events before the fall?
Essentially we don't know, and were not suppossed to. The warp is incomprehensible and mind-shattering. Slaanesh existed before the Fall, was born at the point of the Fall, and has yet never existed. It's all a bit nuts.

#136 ·
Before CotE does so, I will say the following:

Time is meaningless in the warp. Slaanesh has always existed, yet never existed at the same time. :p

Essentially, there are two viewpoints. From the warp, if such a thing can be comprehended, Slaanesh has always existed in one form or another.

Yet in the materium, where chronological order matters, there was indeed a time where Slaanesh did not exist, and there were only three gods of Chaos. Such times are naught but distant memories now, however...

#140 ·
Do you think that the races/armies of the Warhammer 40K Universe are balanced out well? Do you think that some are more powerfull that others in numbers or might?

I think that Chaos is portrayed as too much of a threat. Yes Chaos itself has always been a primordial threat but if you think about it, the Imperium GREATLY outnumbers Chaos.

#141 ·
5th Ed are all close close enough that the difference is irrelevant.(game)

They are all as they should be.(fluff)

#142 ·
Do machine spirits exist? Im guessing not but in a universe with the immaterium Im not sure.
Just how much sentience does a servitor retain? I thought they where just organic machines but in the novel Im currently reading (deus encarmine) one whimpers as its intestines spill out(during a word-bearer ritual)

#143 ·
Just how much sentience does a servitor retain? I thought they where just organic machines but in the novel Im currently reading (deus encarmine) one whimpers as its intestines spill out(during a word-bearer ritual)
You have to remember that just because an author says something, it dosen't mean that it is 100% correct. The way I see it was that there was a ritual going on and to add effect and importance (so to speak) the author added in that detail to"enhance" what was going on.

As for your machine spirit question, I don't know. There is definetly power there but I can't describe what form it is in (in a sense)
(For my own Chapter I'm maiking, they are Extremly prejudice against religion and that sort and so think that the Mechanicum's Omnisiah is a daemon-god in disguise)

#144 ·
I want my Chapter of SM to be descendants of the Iron Hands and someone posted this before about their geneseed...

Iron Hands - Possess a fanatic hatred of weakness/fear of the organic form, which is believed to be inherited genetically. Causes marines to gradually replace their bodies with bionic enhancements.

How "powerfull" is this defect when given to successor Chapters?
And it just seems very queer that this defect makes you specifically replace your flesh with bionics. I can understand that it is because of the loathing of flesh but could I get a more in-depth description.

If you let it continue on would you develope psychological and deppressive personality?

#147 ·
Space marines are like sheep. If their primarch, did it, they`d all do it.

UM all follow the codex to the letter in all matters because Big Blue wrote it.

RG are all ninjas, like Corax.

SW are all shaggy drunk brawlers, just like Russ. This is besides the canis helix.

So yes, I believe the IH do not truly have a genetic defect. It`s all in their heads.

#153 ·
That`s techno heresy! :laugh: But seriously, it could be that there is no practical way to fit a servo harness to termi armour, or more likely (I think) it could have something to do with the techmarine`s role on the battlefield. It can be difficult to move, and exact repairs for instance, if you are wearing such a cumbersome suit. My thoughts. :)

We are always watching... we have our eye on you. :spiteful:
So... You`re following me too? :p

It's been said many times, but i'll say it again. The greatest threat Chaos poses is not in it's mortal Legions, or even in it's infinite hordes of daemons. It's in its nature to corrupt. Every single man is a potential heretic due to it's insidious nature, and it initially only takes a single man to eventually overturn a world...

You think Chaos is portrayed as too much of a threat? It's the single greatest threat to the Imperium of Man, it's the reason why the Emperor failed and now sits on the Golden Throne, it's the cause of the Imperium's greatest woes, and it can never be destroyed. It will be the death of the Imperium.
You sound like a Chaos fanboy. :wink: Are you aware of the full extent of the c`tan`s plan for dominion?

Actually, now that I think of it, does anybody else think that the M'Kar fluff in the 5th Tyranid codex is pretty shitty? Carnifexes fighting Bloodthirsters are bad enough but Zoanthropes fighting Lords of Change? Seriously? Maybe I'm just being full of shit but I really think they're under-representing the chaos forces.
Keep in mind that neither force can be accurately translated from fluff to game, for reasons of keeping it balanced. Bloodthirsters are described as being the greatest of warriors, but remember that a carnifex is a living engine of destruction. Game stats mean little in a story based on fluff.

The same can be said for zoanthropes and Lords of Change. Seriously, LoC`s may be masters of sorcery, but thropies are the uberest of the Hive Mind`s psyker organisms.

In any case, it did not actually mention who won in these duels. Use your imagination. :)

Is Chaos sort of dependant on humans for our emotion and ability to become corrupted? For example, they only want to destroy the Imperium but not all human beings?

And why is Chaos SO fixated on humans? Why not go after other races as much as they do with us?
Humanity is the greatest tool for, or the greatest weapon against, the forces of Chaos.

If you haven`t yet, I recommend reading Legion for some light shed on this subject. In my opinion, one of the best books in the Heresy series. :victory:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.