Individual strength/toughness of a space marine? - Page 4 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-17-10, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck3r View Post
at range it won't hit as often as a tau fire warrior...
I just wanted to point out that in fact, SMs have better aim than a fire warrior, not only in fluff, but also in the tabletop rules (BS4>BS3) and for sure they are more than likely to splat the little blue man. Better armour save, better hit probability, the same wounding probability, and only slightly less range that can be mitigated with the use of cover? piece of cake! (but they also individually cost more points, for a reason).

The nob in CC is another completely different thing, it would come down to equipment mostly (power weapon? choppa? power claw? power fist?). But that said, nobs are supposed to be really badass in CC, so it's fine by me if some oversized green ape fungus can match my marine in CC, both in fluff or tabletop.

Aaand I also wanted to point out that if you want to go with the tabletop rules to establish SMs individual power, you have to consider that there are several editions of the game, and that in 2nd ed marines (and particularly terminators) were pretty powerful (I didn't play before 2e, so I really can't tell how they were on the beginning).

To answer normtheunsavoury's question, it would depend on the environment. If it was in the open in a straight head to head confrontation, a couple of platoons of guardsmen with a vet unit with plasmas could be enough. If it was in a guerrilla environment, said team could probably take on a whole base (multiple platoons with armoured vehicles, sentinels, etc) by themselves.

Blood for the blood god!
- Can I have my khorne-nids now?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-17-10, 09:32 PM

hmm... i was unaware that the tau sucked that much. i figured they'd at least match the space marine's BS but i've never looked at the codex... oh well. serves the space commies right

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode