Are the Tau just cannon fodder? - Page 8 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #71 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-28-10, 07:27 AM
Feed
 
Serpion5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Space
Posts: 10,976
Reputation: 51
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen.ahab View Post
Again. NO! They are different not better. You just suffer from the same affliction alot of players seem to have; the ooooo shiny syndrome.
I call this condition novaphilia which basically translates into LOVE NEW STUFF. Those most at risk of this debilitating illness are simple minded children and low IQ adults who look at pretty statlines and rules without the rationality to think things all the way through.

I once feared that my younger brother was so afflicted, but no, he did not start tyranids to my relief. Now he has an army of space wolves that he doesn`t want, and a growing force of blood angels which are no doubt headed for the same fate.

Me? Noo... TYRANIDS FIRST AND ALWAYS!

I`ll start BA or wolves when I damn well want to, not when a shiny new dex comes out...



Back to tau. Coder 59 is right, Fire Warrior was a pretty shit game.


Nonsense is our Salvation

Serpion5 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #72 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-28-10, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Coder59's Avatar
Coder59's Flag is: England
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: England
Posts: 457
Reputation: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpion5 View Post
I call this condition novaphilia which basically translates into LOVE NEW STUFF. Those most at risk of this debilitating illness are simple minded children and low IQ adults who look at pretty statlines and rules without the rationality to think things all the way through.

I once feared that my younger brother was so afflicted, but no, he did not start tyranids to my relief. Now he has an army of space wolves that he doesn`t want, and a growing force of blood angels which are no doubt headed for the same fate.

Me? Noo... TYRANIDS FIRST AND ALWAYS!

I`ll start BA or wolves when I damn well want to, not when a shiny new dex comes out...



Back to tau. Coder 59 is right, Fire Warrior was a pretty shit game.
Actually I know why this happens and why people scream that new Codex's are overpowered. It's because nobody knows quite how to deal with them when they come out.

I'll use the Blood Angels as an example. I started playing Blood Angels back in 4th Ed and I used the Old OOOOLLLDDD add on codex coupled with Codex Space Marines. Exactly as I did with my Dark Angels (I actually started both armies in an ad hoc fashion right from the old Angels of Death Codex.)

Anyway when the Blood Angels new codex came out I ordered it along with a couple of Shiney new Sanguinary Guard and Death Company models. I painted them up got them ready and went to my local club. Of course everybody was wanting to see how the Blood Angels fared since I was the first one with a full BA army (we have a rule no unpainted or partially painted armies.) And What happened? I trashed everybody! Now it's a few weeks on and I'm winning less games because people have learned how to deal with the Army and have found tactics to counter my own.

The problem is a lot of Tau Players are completely dogmatic in their approach. They have a lot of firepower yes but they don't want to move around much since it lessens the impact of said firepower. Unfortunatley this tactic is better suited to the Guard. There's also no way Tau can recover from an assault. Result = Dead Tau.

And yeh what the hell was up with Fire Warrior? Who's idea was it to make the Bolter into a grenade launcher?
Coder59 is offline  
post #73 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-28-10, 12:57 PM
Bane of Empires
 
Child-of-the-Emperor's Avatar
Child-of-the-Emperor's Flag is: United Kingdom
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: England
Posts: 5,131
Reputation: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coder59 View Post
And yeh what the hell was up with Fire Warrior? Who's idea was it to make the Bolter into a grenade launcher?
The Alpha Legion. Always the Alpha Legion.



Quote:
Originally Posted by cegorach View Post
I do love how we don't even need CotE to comment anymore, chances are he has already said something intelligent before that can be re-applied to the current situation.
Heresy's Background FAQ. (Fluff Project)
CotE Reviews: Prospero Burns (HH Review), Age of Darkness (HH Review).
Child-of-the-Emperor is offline  
 
post #74 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-28-10, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Coder59's Avatar
Coder59's Flag is: England
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: England
Posts: 457
Reputation: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Child-of-the-Emperor View Post
The Alpha Legion. Always the Alpha Legion.
You know I bet they get the blame for everything in 40k.

"Shop keeper short changed me....bloody Alpha Legion."

"We're out of Milk!....bloody Alpha Legion."

"The Tau just got made to look awesome!....bloody Alpha legion."

"Prospero Burns got pushed back because Dan Abnett has been diagnosed with Epilepsy and advised to spend less time writing (so i heard) .... Bloody Alpha Legion got to him!"
Coder59 is offline  
post #75 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-28-10, 11:33 PM
Senior Member
 
Platypus5's Avatar
Platypus5's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 138
Reputation: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimskul25 View Post
BTW where was it said that an Eldar admitted that the Tau would surpass them anyways? I'm just curious.
Eldrad Ulthran: "I have followed the myriad potential futures of the Tau with great interest. Though barely even striplings compared to us, I feel a strange protectiveness towards them. In time I believe they will exceed even our greatest feats and master the darkness within their souls."

Source: http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Quotes_Tau

And remember: Tau allow aliens to join their empire. Enough said.
Platypus5 is offline  
post #76 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-30-10, 06:16 AM
Feed
 
Serpion5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Space
Posts: 10,976
Reputation: 51
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platypus5 View Post
Eldrad Ulthran: "I have followed the myriad potential futures of the Tau with great interest. Though barely even striplings compared to us, I feel a strange protectiveness towards them. In time I believe they will exceed even our greatest feats and master the darkness within their souls."

Source: http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Quotes_Tau

And remember: Tau allow aliens to join their empire. Enough said.
Only alternative is death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coder59 View Post
You know I bet they get the blame for everything in 40k.

"Shop keeper short changed me....bloody Alpha Legion."

"We're out of Milk!....bloody Alpha Legion."

"The Tau just got made to look awesome!....bloody Alpha legion."

"Prospero Burns got pushed back because Dan Abnett has been diagnosed with Epilepsy and advised to spend less time writing (so i heard) .... Bloody Alpha Legion got to him!"
This deserves its own thread. "Blame the Alpha Legion."


Nonsense is our Salvation

Serpion5 is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome