Are the Tau just cannon fodder? - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-16-10, 01:29 AM

sartan2002's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckythefly View Post
I don't think tau are cannon fodder, but I do really, really, really, like punching fire warriors in the face. The rest of their army is scary, fire warriors are fun.
They also are a tasty treat for genestealers and gaunts :D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-16-10, 03:06 PM
Bane of Empires

Child-of-the-Emperor's Flag is: United Kingdom

On a side note, its worth noting that although the Tau themselves are only capable of very limited warp travel, some of their allies - notably the Kroot (and plausably the Nicassar) are capable of true warp travel. Whether this has any effect on this debate though is unclear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cegorach View Post
I do love how we don't even need CotE to comment anymore, chances are he has already said something intelligent before that can be re-applied to the current situation.
Heresy's Background FAQ. (Fluff Project)
CotE Reviews: Prospero Burns (HH Review), Age of Darkness (HH Review).
post #23 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-16-10, 04:08 PM
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

warsmith7752's Flag is: United Kingdom

Didnt the imperium start out a bit like the tau are just now? because the imperium was origianally 8 worlds wih a good planetery defence built do withstand orks but then it got taken over by the emporor who made the primarch and the rest is history. I cant say wether the imperium used to be nice to its population. Also ta are fun to deep strike on top of with space puppies and blood angels.

current win rates;
csm 3/1/1
daemons 1/0/0

post #24 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-16-10, 04:30 PM

Helvron's Flag is: USA

its safe to say that the Tau where not really thought over as they made them, they are good target practice for the other races (dislike them, biggest mistake GW has made.) the Tau are not a threat to the Imperium because if they were they would have been wipped from the face of the galaxy. that and for all their great technology, it doesn't matter when your enemy can just crush you beneath the weight of bodies they can throw at you. the Tau are out numbered 100 to one by the Imperium (if the Imperium decided to take the Tau seriously.) and up untill Damocles Gulf crusade, the Tau didn't even know just how large the Imperium was.

"It was your lies and betrayal that have brought you in to ruin and Misery, not I. I am the wrath of the Emperor sent forth to drag you from the shadows into the condeming light of day!" -Lord Castellan Ikarus Terriome to The treacherous Lord Governor Tarkit greenbor (sower of the Untruths) during the Crusade of lights in the Ashurboren System
post #25 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-16-10, 06:14 PM
Bane of Empires

Quote:
Originally Posted by warsmith7752 View Post
Didnt the imperium start out a bit like the tau are just now? because the imperium was origianally 8 worlds wih a good planetery defence built do withstand orks but then it got taken over by the emporor who made the primarch and the rest is history. I cant say wether the imperium used to be nice to its population. Also ta are fun to deep strike on top of with space puppies and blood angels.
Drawing a comparison between how the Imperium and Tau Empire began is pointless, infact the vague similarities that are present could be said to be present in how most civilisations begin.

And the Imperium didn't start as eight worlds, it started as one technically; Terra, immediately following the unification wars. And I havn't a clue where your getting the idea from that the Imperium began as eight worlds with a good planetary defence system to withstand Orks...

Quote:
I do love how we don't even need CotE to comment anymore, chances are he has already said something intelligent before that can be re-applied to the current situation.
post #26 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-16-10, 06:43 PM

Stephen_Newman's Flag is: United Kingdom

I generally like the Tau as I enjoy the Japanese style they have adopted.

I also believe that the tau are morally superior to the imperium simply because of the kryptman massacre. Sorry but DESTROYING ALL LIFE on over a dozen worlds is far more serious than possible whatever genocide the tau have ever comitted. You know what too the funny thing is that it practically came to nothing seeming as he then diverted leviathan onto octarius.

Added to the point that the tau have sleek looking tanks.

I have recently started a new Blog. I would really appreciate it if you would LOOK AT IT
post #27 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-17-10, 04:03 PM
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

warsmith7752's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Child-of-the-Emperor View Post
Drawing a comparison between how the Imperium and Tau Empire began is pointless, infact the vague similarities that are present could be said to be present in how most civilisations begin.

And the Imperium didn't start as eight worlds, it started as one technically; Terra, immediately following the unification wars. And I havn't a clue where your getting the idea from that the Imperium began as eight worlds with a good planetary defence system to withstand Orks...
what i meant was that the imperium owned the planets around terra (mars notably) and it was tiny but the citizens had ok lives but this is ancient 10-20m history. as for the ork planetery defence im not sure where i read it i just remember that i did somewhere if its correct or not i cant say but up till now i just assumed it was.

current win rates;
csm 3/1/1
daemons 1/0/0
post #28 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-17-10, 05:16 PM
Bane of Empires

Quote:
Originally Posted by warsmith7752 View Post
what i meant was that the imperium owned the planets around terra (mars notably) and it was tiny but the citizens had ok lives but this is ancient 10-20m history. as for the ork planetery defence im not sure where i read it i just remember that i did somewhere if its correct or not i cant say but up till now i just assumed it was.
That wasn't the Imperium. The Imperium was created during/immediatly after the Unification Wars (around the end of M30) when the Emperor appeared.

Quote:
post #29 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-18-10, 04:11 AM

Sephyr's Flag is: Brazil

The Tau are a regional power at best. I find them quite weak on the tabletop, which is why I changed my main army to Chaos Marines (I love the models and concept, but it's hard to have fun when people are yawning and just tossing Sternguards on drop pods behind you and frying your vehicles with Land Speeder MM like it was going out of style), but in the fluff, I see them as a growing influence mostly due to the favorable situation in the galaxy.

The Empire has its hands full avoiding societal collapse, pancking over a flickering Astronomican, dealing with tyranid mega-invasions and whatnot. It could likely muster enough power to crush the Tau for good easily, but that would leave its defenses against other threats depleted, even assuming all goes well. The Tau would have to work overtime for 400 years to claim half as many worls as a splinter hive fleet would.

The Eldar seem to have a bit of a soft spot for the Tau, though that may change is the lovable commies claim a few Maiden Worlds.

Chaos is a lighter threat for them: they don't have psykers flaring out of control and allowing daemons to pour into worlds, and chaos marines apparently focus their attention of races with a better warp presence that can please their deities.

Tyranids are as big a worry for them as for anyone, but galactig geography actually helps them here: their domain is tightly packed and easier to defend than scattered systems with vast emptines between them. They would collapse easily if in the path of a main invasion fleet, but can deal with lesser tendrils efficiently.

So summing it up, they are a smaller power that can sometimes punch above their weight, and the current context certainly helps them do so. And every great power starts as a smaller, weaker force that could have been stomped easily by the previous overlords...if only they hadn't been so busy tending to theor overlordness.

As for the Tau haters...I think they are just peeved that Tau fashion lacks the abundant skulls their favorite factions have.
post #30 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-18-10, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helvron View Post
its safe to say that the Tau where not really thought over as they made them, they are good target practice for the other races (dislike them, biggest mistake GW has made.) the Tau are not a threat to the Imperium because if they were they would have been wipped from the face of the galaxy. that and for all their great technology, it doesn't matter when your enemy can just crush you beneath the weight of bodies they can throw at you. the Tau are out numbered 100 to one by the Imperium (if the Imperium decided to take the Tau seriously.) and up untill Damocles Gulf crusade, the Tau didn't even know just how large the Imperium was.
It doesn't matter if they're a major threat or not. They're xenos. They could be a race of jolly, grape farming pacifists and the Imperium would still want them dead. I truly believe that the Imperium, as it is, can't wage a proper war against the tau without screwing themselves over. They've got the manpower and the arms to destroy the tau, but most of their resources are being directed toward keeping greater threats at bay. It's not that they don't care that the tau exist, as it's just not like the Imperium to not commit genocide when they have the capability to.

In a universe as hostile and bigoted as the 40K universe, you can't assume any race exists because other races are too lazy to end them.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode