Are the Tau just cannon fodder? - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-15-10, 05:43 PM

Platypus5's Flag is: USA

I personally like Tau entirely because they are the most altruistic and well-meaning of all the races. They do not exterminate other races, and they care much more about their own people than, say, the Imperium.

It isn't just me who thinks that the Tau are a beacon of light in a dark universe. Many Tau players have a similar point of view. In the 40k universe itself, There are many imperial citizens who are secretly sympathetic to the Tau. Even some of the strongest in-game Eldar leaders (Eldrad among them, I believe) say that while the Tau are young and naieve, they also are represent a new hope for the galaxy.

So ya. The appeal of the Tau Empire in part lies in the very thing you dislike about them: They are upbeat.

Last edited by Platypus5; 04-15-10 at 05:43 PM. Reason: rewording
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-15-10, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

Coder59's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platypus5 View Post
I personally like Tau entirely because they are the most altruistic and well-meaning of all the races. They do not exterminate other races, and they care much more about their own people than, say, the Imperium.
Wait a second yes they do. They're quite happy to render entire planatery populations sterile and breed them out. The greater good it would seem means what is best for the Tau and nobody else.

The Imperium/Eldar/Chaos/Orks/Necrons, may exterminate people with firey firey death but at least they're honest about it.

The Tau act like they've got teams of Spin Doctors working overtime.
post #13 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-15-10, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coder59 View Post
Wait a second yes they do. They're quite happy to render entire planatery populations sterile and breed them out. The greater good it would seem means what is best for the Tau and nobody else.

The Imperium/Eldar/Chaos/Orks/Necrons, may exterminate people with firey firey death but at least they're honest about it.

The Tau act like they've got teams of Spin Doctors working overtime.
The Tau empire has a thriving human population. (the kronus sterilization thing, in my opinion, is a load of imperial propaganda.)

The Imperium does not have a thriving Tau population.

Yes, Tau aren't perfect, but they are still better.

post #14 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-15-10, 06:42 PM

Chaoz94's Flag is: England

just going back to an earlier point about the lack of psykers / warp prescence
could it be that this race is influenced by the necrons tempering with perhaps an ancester etc
afterall it could explain if the necrons do get more pariahs etc

just a point i thought id throw out

chaoz

http://chaoz94.mybrute.com

" The extra spears were to make it more killy, I don't give a damn if it looks chaos-y or not. It's made to kill shit." crimson_chin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterous View Post
*picture of a Cultist riding a Trygon*
Whee captoured eet fhour CHAOZ!
lol

post #15 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-15-10, 08:17 PM

Barnster's Flag is: United Kingdom

Tau do have a very small warp presence, its just barely noticible.

Pariahs are completely blank, and are almost purely from human stock, there are simply not enough tau for the necron to really bother doing much with them.

Tau are heavily influenced by japanese culture, bushido and gundams, if you like that style tau are great. I've collected them since 5 days before the offical original release and still think they are a fun army and great theme.
post #16 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-15-10, 08:42 PM

buckythefly's Flag is: USA

I don't think tau are cannon fodder, but I do really, really, really, like punching fire warriors in the face. The rest of their army is scary, fire warriors are fun.

I'm all for playing this game, but you don't have to be a dick about it.

~Someday I'll play 7th Edition ~
0 Win 0 Losses 0 Draws
post #17 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-15-10, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

[quote=Platypus5;613193]The Tau empire has a thriving human population. (the kronus sterilization thing, in my opinion, is a load of imperial propaganda.)

The Imperium does not have a thriving Tau population.

Yes, Tau aren't perfect, but they are still better.[/QUOUTE]

How do you know they have a thriving Human population? I don't see human units in their armies. They also admit they're going to kill the population of Pavonis in Courage and Honour all for the 'Greater Good' of course

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckythefly View Post
I don't think tau are cannon fodder, but I do really, really, really, like punching fire warriors in the face. The rest of their army is scary, fire warriors are fun.
I dunno I always saw those battlesuits as nothing more than nice big "SHOOT HERE" signs
post #18 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-15-10, 10:33 PM

[quote=Coder59;613323]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Platypus5 View Post
[/QUOUTE]
How do you know they have a thriving Human population? I don't see human units in their armies. They also admit they're going to kill the population of Pavonis in Courage and Honour all for the 'Greater Good' of course
I dunno I always saw those battlesuits as nothing more than nice big "SHOOT HERE" signs
You are wrong in that they don't have humans in their armies. For one thing, many imperial worlds have willingly joined the Tau Empire, notably Taros. There, not even the space marines and imperial guard could gun down the people's desire to join the empire. Gue'vesa, according to the fluff, also are allowed to serve in the Tau army, and they are treated much better than Guardsman are. (Although the tabletop rules on gue'vesa make players use them as meatshields, they are not that way in the fluff, and they don't have trigger-happy commissars standing behind them.

But that is just one part of my argument. Ultimately, the Tau Empire is far nicer to its people and others than the Imperium is. The genocides conducted by the Imperium far outweigh any done by the Tau.
post #19 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-15-10, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

[quote=Platypus5;613380]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coder59 View Post

You are wrong in that they don't have humans in their armies. For one thing, many imperial worlds have willingly joined the Tau Empire, notably Taros. There, not even the space marines and imperial guard could gun down the people's desire to join the empire. Gue'vesa, according to the fluff, also are allowed to serve in the Tau army, and they are treated much better than Guardsman are. (Although the tabletop rules on gue'vesa make players use them as meatshields, they are not that way in the fluff, and they don't have trigger-happy commissars standing behind them.

But that is just one part of my argument. Ultimately, the Tau Empire is far nicer to its people and others than the Imperium is. The genocides conducted by the Imperium far outweigh any done by the Tau.
Nicer yes and of course they haven't killed as many people they're still newbies. But make no mistake the Tau are perfectly willing to commit Genocide "For the Greater Good." They honestly don't think we factor into it according to the Tau in Courage and Honour.
post #20 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-16-10, 12:10 AM

To the tau, violence is a last resort. Of course, this gives people the wrong impression of them. Using violence as a last resort isn't all that impressive when your only other option is assimilation .

As for tau's elitism, I've heard two separate accounts. Some people say they will kill all those that don't surrender to the greater good, while I've read elsewhere that the tau will accept the philosophies of others, though they will still see them as inferior. All in all, the tau are morally superior to the Imperium, though not by very much. If the rumors of the ethereals brainwashing their subjects through pheromones is true, the tau castes have no claim to morality whatsoever.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode