It's getting gloomier all the time... - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-11-10, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Sephyr's Avatar
Sephyr's Flag is: Brazil
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 491
Reputation: 6
Default It's getting gloomier all the time...

We all know and somewhat appreciate that the situation in the 40k universe is darker than a Lars Von Trier movie and getting gloomier by the second.

This thread is just a way of cataloguing exactly how, and to try and predict the new downers.

Let's start:

1- First and biggest: Astronomican beggining to fail. Stranded worlds fending for themselves, empire is gone, systems taken one at a time with no chance of support.

2- Drowning in tyranids:It's been hinted quite openly that the hive fleets seen so far were only the alien version of new neighbors dropping by to leave you a cherry pie and a friendly wave. Odds are that soon there will be a Tervigon crashing into the Empire for each individual hair on the heads of all humans, Eldar and orks across the galaxy added together.

3- Technological stagnation: much of the tech and science in the human empire has been roughly the same for millenia. Innovating is mostly restricted to minor changes to familiar patterns, and the threat of heresy and sacrilege hangs over any advance. This doesn't often end well.

4- Ork up the wazoo and more on the way: Orks are not so much a race as a complete eco-system geared for war, manufacturing its own food, weapons, labor and red-painted deffkoptas from nothing starting with a single spore. Every other race can be ended by a series of failures, but the orks will always be there, always will be plentiful and always will be able to swoop in on any civilization that falls below a certain level of power. They don't even need to unite to be a colossal threat: simple expansion of different ork empires would be enough. War is demographics in a hurry, and ork -rule- at demographics. And War.

Who'd imagine that an elite army of fanatical, psychotic super-soldiers backed by actual demons in the flesh would be such a small threat, given the competition.

Any other potential Michael Bay catastrophies looming closer that I missed?
Sephyr is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-11-10, 05:03 PM
Moderator
 
KingOfCheese's Avatar
KingOfCheese's Flag is: Australia
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South Australia
Posts: 4,491
Reputation: 1
Default

Give it another 5-10k years and the whole universe will be an epic battle between Orks and Tyranids.

Orks continually repopulating through spores, and Tyranids repopulating by collecting the Orks biomass.
Its an infinite cycle where both races grow at an exponential rate.

In the end, the whole universe will just be incredibly densely populated with both Orks and Nids to the point where there wont be a place on the entire universe you cant walk without tripping over a Nid or Ork.


KingOfCheese is offline  
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-11-10, 05:29 PM
Senior Member
 
forkbanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 468
Reputation: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephyr View Post
1- First and biggest: Astronomican beggining to fail.
The Astronomicon and the Golden throne are now starting to fail, to make things grimdarker. The refusal to move the story forward is getting ridiculous at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephyr View Post
2- Drowning in tyranids:It's been hinted quite openly that the hive fleets seen so far were only the alien version of new neighbors dropping by
Since Tyranids shifted from Rogue Trader's 'six-legged alien dudes' to 'nomnomnom murderbeasts', the waves of Hive Fleets encountered have been theorized as precursors to the full power of the Tyranids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephyr View Post
3- Technological stagnation: much of the tech and science in the human empire has been roughly the same for millenia.
Fluffwise, it's going backwards. Land Raiders, for example, used to be STC vehicles that could be made relatively easily provided you had the STC blueprints and manufacturing facilities. Now they are irreplacable holy relics that cannot be built any more (so naturally, the Blood Angels drop them from great heights).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephyr View Post
4- Ork up the wazoo and more on the way: Orks are not so much a race as a complete eco-system geared for war, manufacturing its own food, weapons, labor and red-painted deffkoptas from nothing starting with a single spore.
Orks have been an infestation since the 'Ere We Go and Freebooterz books back in Rogue Trader. The power of Ork Waaaaaaghs has been cranked up in the backstory, however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephyr View Post
Who'd imagine that an elite army of fanatical, psychotic super-soldiers backed by actual demons in the flesh would be such a small threat, given the competition.
Humanity has stopped being a nascent psyker race, filled with the potential to let horrible demon beasts into the real world from the Warp - the shift has been towards the Chaos Legions and their Long War, and Abaddon's utter failure to achieve anything on his Black Crusades (because the story never advances). Chaos has become an external threat, instead of something that can erupt on any world in the Imperium if psykers aren't rounded up and controlled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephyr View Post
Any other potential Michael Bay catastrophies looming closer that I missed?
Necrons and their impending Harvest, once they are fully woken and can poke their C'tan chums into action.
forkbanger is offline  
 
post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-11-10, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Sephyr's Avatar
Sephyr's Flag is: Brazil
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 491
Reputation: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by forkbanger View Post
Necrons and their impending Harvest, once they are fully woken and can poke their C'tan chums into action.
I don't really buy the Necrons as a mega-threat, for some reason. Seems pretty much every race has manages to either blunt their attacks or leave and nuke their awakening tomb-worlds.

Creepy, sure, but they are yet to really get into high gear and eat a few dozen Space Marine chapters.
Sephyr is offline  
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-12-10, 03:26 AM
Senior Member
 
Chaosrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 158
Reputation: 1
Default

Well yea... I agree with most things. But unless the corns close off the warp the gods might finally get off their butts and do something. And they can make fuckloads of daemons.

Edit: FACEPLAM, the gods would die as soon as humans/eldar die..

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegius View Post
As for adding weathering, didn't you know that marines never get dirty, they are too cool.
Chaosrider is offline  
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-12-10, 06:12 AM
Junior Member
 
faultyvoodoo's Avatar
faultyvoodoo's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Metro-Atlanta, Ga
Posts: 6
Reputation: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaosrider View Post
Edit: FACEPLAM, the gods would die as soon as humans/eldar die..

From how I understand the warp to work, the chaos gods have amassed enough power and grown so bloated on the ambitions and emotions of mortals that they are autonomous. So, while the would certainly wane over time, they could exist for a long while after eldar and humans went extinct. In fact, the violence and terror of the rapid extinction of hundreds of billions of humans from being eaten by tyranids, butchered by orks, flayed by necrons, and soul sucked by said warp entities would grow their power immensely. Perhaps long enough to persist until a new race of nascent psykers emerge. . .


Or I could be completely wrong

We fight the long war, not through vain notions of duty and honour, but through a far purer purpose: hatred.
faultyvoodoo is offline  
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-12-10, 08:52 AM
Senior Member
 
Chaosrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 158
Reputation: 1
Default

its one of the two...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegius View Post
As for adding weathering, didn't you know that marines never get dirty, they are too cool.
Chaosrider is offline  
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-12-10, 10:23 AM
Senior Member
 
Malus Darkblade's Avatar
Malus Darkblade's Flag is: Kuwait
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,332
Reputation: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by faultyvoodoo View Post
From how I understand the warp to work, the chaos gods have amassed enough power and grown so bloated on the ambitions and emotions of mortals that they are autonomous. So, while the would certainly wane over time, they could exist for a long while after eldar and humans went extinct. In fact, the violence and terror of the rapid extinction of hundreds of billions of humans from being eaten by tyranids, butchered by orks, flayed by necrons, and soul sucked by said warp entities would grow their power immensely. Perhaps long enough to persist until a new race of nascent psykers emerge. . .


Or I could be completely wrong
I think of them as leeches.

The first three Chaos powers all came to life around the medieval period of humanity's existence if I am not mistaken, and prior to that they were simply floating balls of non-sentient emotion-derived energy.

So it just goes to show how heavily invested they have become with mankind's existence and I think if the latter were to perish, the Chaos powers would simply cease to exist, they'd implode on their fat if you will, probably out of sheer anger at being robbed of their favorite subjects.

They could have chosen the other super populated races, since arguably only a race with huge numbers can sustain them, such as the Orks but their lack of any desire to worship anything other than Mork and Gok (maybe khorne though) wouldn't have worked and the Tyranids are pretty much covered by the hive mind and so humanity was their only option.


Meh I think it's about time the Ctan unite and force the necrons to make them some kind of warp-resistant exoskeleton so they could enter their realm and mess things up with whatever nascent powers they've got.

I think if Malal, the 5th chaos power focused on anarchy and the destruction of his brothers were to ever come to life, him teaming up with the Ctan would be awesome.

Last edited by Malus Darkblade; 03-12-10 at 10:26 AM.
Malus Darkblade is offline  
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-12-10, 10:23 AM
Chaos God of Old Night
 
Lord of the Night's Avatar
Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: The Eternal Night
Posts: 5,028
Reputation: 48
Default

There are several possibilities to how the 40k galaxy will end.

1. The Astronomicon will fail, the Imperium will be destroyed and without that the other more barbaric races will turn onto the others, Orks and Tyranids will turn to the Eldar and Tau.

2. The Tyranids will overrun the galaxy. It has been hinted that these Hive Fleets are only the vanguard, and that in order to have a chance at beating their true numbers every single man, woman and child in Segmentum Tempestus would need to be recruited, effectively increasing recruitment 500%.

3. The Orks will finally unite and have a galactic WAAAGH!. Nothing will be able to hold back their might, and most likely Ghazghkull will be leading this WAAAGH!

4. The Necrons will arise fully and harvest all life within the galaxy. We have seen that the Tyranids avoid the Necron Tomb Worlds and that the Necrons have vast numbers, all hidden away. And their technology is the greatest in all of 40k.

5. Chaos will finally unite fully and destroy the False Emperor. Chaos will finally be able to control the material universe and all life will dedicate itself to Chaos or be sacrificed to it.

6. The Fall of the Eldar will repeat itself with The Fall of Man. A new fifth Chaos God will arise and dominate the others, ruling the new Eye of Terror which will encompass the entire galaxy.



https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.
Lord of the Night is offline  
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-12-10, 10:31 AM
Senior Member
 
Malus Darkblade's Avatar
Malus Darkblade's Flag is: Kuwait
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,332
Reputation: 8
Default



Assuming you are with the fluff regarding the reincarnation of the emperor
:


Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of the Night View Post
There are several possibilities to how the 40k galaxy will end.

1. The Astronomicon will fail, the Imperium will be destroyed and without that the other more barbaric races will turn onto the others, Orks and Tyranids will turn to the Eldar and Tau.

2. The Tyranids will overrun the galaxy. It has been hinted that these Hive Fleets are only the vanguard, and that in order to have a chance at beating their true numbers every single man, woman and child in Segmentum Tempestus would need to be recruited, effectively increasing recruitment 500%.
If the emperor dies and is reincarnated, his presence alone would boost the morale of the imperium tenfold and he could probably make the astromincian work in his sleep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of the Night View Post
3. The Orks will finally unite and have a galactic WAAAGH!. Nothing will be able to hold back their might, and most likely Ghazghkull will be leading this WAAAGH!

4. The Necrons will arise fully and harvest all life within the galaxy. We have seen that the Tyranids avoid the Necron Tomb Worlds and that the Necrons have vast numbers, all hidden away. And their technology is the greatest in all of 40k.

5. Chaos will finally unite fully and destroy the False Emperor. Chaos will finally be able to control the material universe and all life will dedicate itself to Chaos or be sacrificed to it.
Emperor will rally the imperium into a state they've never been in before and will arguably be much stronger than before.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of the Night View Post
6. The Fall of the Eldar will repeat itself with The Fall of Man. A new fifth Chaos God will arise and dominate the others, ruling the new Eye of Terror which will encompass the entire galaxy.
Malal is the fifth power and I don't think a collapse of a race will create a new chaos power each time.
Malus Darkblade is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome